Re: Murder, Mayhem and Missed Opportunities

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 24, 2012
      You don't mention a location but I'm assuming this happened in NY? Do you have a town? If so, you could try that town's library to see if they have old newspapers. Or the town's historical society might have some info.

      Good luck!
      Debbie

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <trixielixir@...> wrote:

      > Two days ago I received a message from a gentleman on Ancestry. He is descended from my 2nd great grandfather Balada's sister who married a man named Zacek. I called my mother tonight and asked if she remembered anything about Zacek. After all the years of picking her brain, she suddenly came up with a story. Her mother's cousin Teresa Zacek came with her sister and both became maids. Said sister (name unknown) was murdered. I have spent the evening searching every archive I can think of from the New York Times to Old Fulton Postcards with no luck. Any suggestions on where I could find this poor lost soul?

    • Karen Kosky
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 24, 2012
        Yes, sorry, my family lived in New York. Parish was St. John's on 66th.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
          A specific place and time would be helpful. Under the Freedom of
          Imformation Act you could request any police records from their
          archives. But of coarse you would need a date.

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...>
          wrote:

          > I have, both independently and through a search engine. But thank you.
          >

          > ________________________________

          http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Default/Skins/BEagle/Client.asp?S\
          kin=BEagle&AW=1345860338078&AppName=2&GZ=T

          > ---- Karen trixielixir@... wrote:
          > > Two days ago I received a message from a gentleman on Ancestry. He
          is descended from my 2nd great grandfather Balada's sister who married a
          man named Zacek. I called my mother tonight and asked if she remembered
          anything about Zacek. After all the years of picking her brain, she
          suddenly came up with a story. Her mother's cousin Teresa Zacek came
          with her sister and both became maids. Said sister (name unknown) was
          murdered. I have spent the evening searching every archive I can think
          of from the New York Times to Old Fulton Postcards with no luck. Any
          suggestions on where I could find this poor lost soul?

        • MA Bensh
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
            family search has Annie Zacek listed as a servant in 1915 ny:

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K9TQ-8T9

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
              Oh, if you have the church they belonged to, I would try there for funeral/burial records. That would give you a date of death. Of course, without a name, it would be hard, though... I'm not clear from your post if Zacek was Teresa's maiden name or birth name, and threfore if her unnamed sister at least has a last name. Do you have at least a last name for the sister? Even if she were married at the time of death a maiden name might help in the search.

              Also, you could check the police records, although I'm not sure of the procedure to do that, but a phone call would help you with that!

              Interesting situation. Please keep us posted as to your progress!

              Debbie

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                Zacek is the family name. I'm familiar with the name as cousins my grandmother spoke of but wasn't aware they lived here. Being born after 1895, they're not in the films. I've been searching ship manifests for Teresa, hoping they came together. I've found 3 Teresa Zaceks from our village, but none seem right. One is just too old and the others were married. My mother doesn't remember her to be married. She doesn't remember the sister so the death had to be when she was very young or before she was born. (1945) I am assuming Teresa and her sister would have attended St. John Nepomucene because the rest of the family did and it is a Slovak-founded church which to this day holds mass in Slovak. I will take a walk up there soon and see if they'd be able to help. Maybe a nice elderly busybody works in the rectory!

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                  Thanks. She's a possibility. I am estimating Teresa to be 10-15 years younger than this woman but no idea how old the sister was.

                  ________________________________
                  family search has Annie Zacek listed as a servant in 1915 ny:

                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K9TQ-8T9

                • Julie Michutka
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                    The pastor there is nice. I'd call ahead of time. He let me look through the old parish registers (carefully--the bindings on some are failing). I gave him a donation for the roof (a then-current financial need) by way of thanks when I left.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                      Yes, an elderly busybody would be most helpful!

                      Sorry, I had meant to say that I didn't know if Zacek was Teresa's "maiden or married name" not "maiden or birth name" but I guess you understood what I meant.

                      Debbie

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

                      > Zacek is the family name. I'm familiar with the name as cousins my grandmother spoke of but wasn't aware they lived here. Being born after 1895, they're not in the films. I've been searching ship manifests for Teresa, hoping they came together. I've found 3 Teresa Zaceks from our village, but none seem right. One is just too old and the others were married. My mother doesn't remember her to be married. She doesn't remember the sister so the death had to be when she was very young or before she was born. (1945) I am assuming Teresa and her sister would have attended St. John Nepomucene because the rest of the family did and it is a Slovak-founded church which to this day holds mass in Slovak. I will take a walk up there soon and see if they'd be able to help. Maybe a nice elderly busybody works in the rectory!
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • karen lovadina
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                        Such a sad story.  Does the gentleman that contacted you know anything about this?  Maybe he can help you piece together some connections.  Any idea how old the sisters my have been when they immigrated?  Estimate?  Keep us posted

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                          I don't know if you checked but the name Z~ac~ek [zhah-chek] is spelled in Hungarian, Zsacsek and Ellis Island has Entries.

                          Phone directory entries: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Zacek/slovensko/

                          Z Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________
                          Yes, an elderly busybody would be most helpful!

                          Sorry, I had meant to say that I didn't know if Zacek was Teresa's "maiden or married name" not "maiden or birth name" but I guess you understood what I meant.

                          Debbie

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

                          > Zacek is the family name. I'm familiar with the name as cousins my grandmother spoke of but wasn't aware they lived here. Being born after 1895, they're not in the films. I've been searching ship manifests for Teresa, hoping they came together. I've found 3 Teresa Zaceks from our village, but none seem right. One is just too old and the others were married. My mother doesn't remember her to be married. She doesn't remember the sister so the death had to be when she was very young or before she was born. (1945) I am assuming Teresa and her sister would have attended St. John Nepomucene because the rest of the family did and it is a Slovak-founded church which to this day holds mass in Slovak. I will take a walk up there soon and see if they'd be able to help. Maybe a nice elderly busybody works in the rectory!

                        • patskanovo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
                            See my post "News Paper Archives"

                            Dennis