Re: Researching my ancestors

  • John Matsko
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999
      Try: http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm Fill in the name of
      the town and select Slovakia. It's about 90 miles from Bratislava if that is
      the correct spelling. Other options are given.

      John

      At 09:17 AM 8/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >From: "Salena Moffat" <salenamoffat@...>
      >
      >Hello everyone! I'm researching the DROTAR and STANKO surnames out of
      >Austria-Hungary. My grandfather was Joseph Albert DROTAR and my grandmother
      >was born Julie Ann STANKO but became DROTAR. They came to the US as children
      >in the early years of this century. Joseph was born Feb. 4, 1907 and died in
      >1985, Julie was born Dec. 18, 1909 and died in 1986.
      >
      >They came from a village called RUDNO, and I have no idea where this village
      >is now. They came to Rock Springs, Wyoming, then to Colorado. I believe they
      >entered the country through a Washington State port, possibly in Tacoma.
      >
      >Both came from very large families with lots of siblings, brothers on my
      >grandfather's side, sisters on my grandmother's side.
      >
      >They spoke Slovak and English, and were Roman Catholics. The belief that my
      >grandfather at least entered the US through Tacoma comes from my mother, who
      >told me once that he'd always had a soft spot for Washington State because
      >of this.
      >
      >The village--I have little to go on here other than the name "Rudno,
      >Austria-Hungary." My mother told me it's written this way on my
      >grandmother's birth certificate, which I have yet to be able to convince her
      >to show me.
      >
      >They were married in either the late 20s or early 30s, and had 2 children.
      >Their oldest daughter died very young. Their younger daughter is my mother,
      >Mardell Rose DROTAR. They lived all of their married lives in either
      >Colorado or Wyoming (Arvada, CO/Ramah, CO/Denver, CO and Rock Springs, WY)
      >
      >Any and all help and advice will be appreciated. :)
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Salena Moffat :) email: salenamoffat@...

      >Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
      >http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
      >With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
        I can confirm that there was a large Slovak settlement in (nearby to me)
        Tacoma, although few traces of it remain. There is, or was, a Slovak
        Catholic parish, for example. I have never found a Slovak heritage society
        there, and I can't imagine that one would exist without someone on the Web
        knowing about it. Guess I'll have to start one. :-)

        > Hello everyone! I'm researching the DROTAR and STANKO surnames out of
        > Austria-Hungary. My grandfather was Joseph Albert DROTAR and my
        grandmother
        > was born Julie Ann STANKO but became DROTAR. They came to the US as
        children
        > in the early years of this century. Joseph was born Feb. 4, 1907 and died
        in
        > 1985, Julie was born Dec. 18, 1909 and died in 1986.
        >
        > They came from a village called RUDNO, and I have no idea where this
        village
        > is now. They came to Rock Springs, Wyoming, then to Colorado. I believe
        they
        > entered the country through a Washington State port, possibly in Tacoma.
        >
        > Both came from very large families with lots of siblings, brothers on my
        > grandfather's side, sisters on my grandmother's side.
        >
        > They spoke Slovak and English, and were Roman Catholics. The belief that
        my
        > grandfather at least entered the US through Tacoma comes from my mother,
        who
        > told me once that he'd always had a soft spot for Washington State because
        > of this.
        >
        > The village--I have little to go on here other than the name "Rudno,
        > Austria-Hungary." My mother told me it's written this way on my
        > grandmother's birth certificate, which I have yet to be able to convince
        her
        > to show me.
        >
        > They were married in either the late 20s or early 30s, and had 2 children.
        > Their oldest daughter died very young. Their younger daughter is my
        mother,
        > Mardell Rose DROTAR. They lived all of their married lives in either
        > Colorado or Wyoming (Arvada, CO/Ramah, CO/Denver, CO and Rock Springs, WY)
        >
        > Any and all help and advice will be appreciated. :)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Salena Moffat :) email: salenamoffat@...

        > Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
        > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
        > With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

      • Salena Moffat
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
          Andrea--Thank you so much for this information! It gives me more information
          than I had when I woke up, that's certain! I really appreciate this, and I'm
          going to see what I can track down. Naturally, when I lived in Washington
          (Bellingham) I didn't have much interest in genealogy. Now that I live half
          the country away I've developed a passion! LOL.

          Thanks again,

          Salena :)

          >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
          >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com>
          >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Researching my ancestors
          >Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:42:02 -0700
          >
          >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
          >
          >I can confirm that there was a large Slovak settlement in (nearby to me)
          >Tacoma, although few traces of it remain. There is, or was, a Slovak
          >Catholic parish, for example. I have never found a Slovak heritage society
          >there, and I can't imagine that one would exist without someone on the Web
          >knowing about it. Guess I'll have to start one. :-)
        • Porubcansky
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 1999
            Hello Salena,

            As far as I know, nowadays there 3 RUDNO villages in Slovakia:

            NITRIANSKE RUDNO, district PRIEVIDZA
            RUDNO, district TURCIANSKE TEPLICE
            RUDNO NAD HRONOM, district ZARNOVICA

            I live in the nort-western Slovakia, and in the phone book
            of the TURCIANSKE TEPLICE district I see no DROTAR or
            STANKO names. But not far from there is the bigger town called
            MARTIN and here I see several STANKO names.

            Sincerely, Jozef Porubcansky from Slovakia

            ----------

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
              Josef--Thank you so much! I wasn't aware that there were 3 Rudnos in
              Slovakia, and if there are no matches in one of the phone books then that
              narrows my search. Thanks for the help!

              Salena :)

            • Salena Moffat
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
                Joe--Thanks! I did know Drotar meant tinker, but I didn't know any of the
                rest. Thanks for the information!

                Salena :)

                >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
                >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
                >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Researching my ancestors
                >Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:14:39 -500
                >
                >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
                >
                > > Hello everyone! I'm researching the DROTAR and STANKO surnames out
                > > of
                >
                >In case you haven't already learned, a "drotar" is a tinker, which
                >was often an itinerant profession in Slovakia. They'd wander through
                >villages in their assigned territory, calling out for people to bring
                >out pots or pans or whatever that needed repair. Often their
                >journeys were pretty extensive, reaching way down into southern
                >Hungary or east into Transylvania. "Stanko" probably comes from the
                >first name Stanislav.
                >
                >Joe Armata
                >joe@...

                >ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
                >For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
                >http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

              • Joe Armata
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999