Re: Havran

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Tim Skvarenina <tskvarenina@y...> wrote:

      > This is all we know. Hope this helps. If you find a
      > connection to our
      > line, let us know.
      >
      > We have always been told that Havran means raven.
      > Krejcova means
      > tailor.
      >
      > Laura Havran
      >
      > Laura

      ahoj !

      Havran means 'raven' and 'vrána' means crow in Czech.

      The Czech telephone directory lists 14 surname Havran under Praha.

      Skuch is probably Skutec^ (C) Skutsch (G) located 70 miles ESE of
      Praha.
      Former Czech-Bohemia had both Czech towns and German towns.
      Following WW II, the German names were changed to Czech names.

      There are probably 300-400 surname Havran bearers just in the U.S.

      Perhaps 1300-2000 surname Krejci bearers just in the U.S.
      Krejc^ová would be the feminine gender form (-ová) of the family
      name, Krejc^í, and used just in Europe.

      Krejcova doesn't mean 'tailor'.
      Krejc^í is the occupational surname, meaning 'tailor'.

      With so many surname bearers, pre-emigration surname village/town of
      origin is required to determine possible relationships with other same
      surname bearers.
      Post-emigration surname information will mean very little.