Re: [S-R] Tarcha

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
      At 08:05 PM 4/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
      >Dear John thank you for the reply. I would like to find out where my great
      >grandparents were buried but I was told that alot of the churchs and the grave
      >yards were pushed over when communists were in charge. I cannot believe how
      >people stup to such levels. And believe that what they were doing was right.

      I visited the Bardejov area in 1999 (west of Habura) and found the churches
      functioning and many had been refurbished. My parent's villages had Greek
      Catholic churches and also in my father's village a Pravoslavny (Orthodox)
      church. I don't think church and grave destruction occurred in Slovakia.
      Perhaps the Soviet Union. The Roman Catholic churches were in very good
      condition also. I was there in September and St. Egidas in Bardejov was
      overflowing with people on September 15th, a Slovak national holiday called
      "Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows". As far as the cemeteries go, the old
      graves had wooden crosses which eventually decayed. You would have to find
      the church records to tell you what plot they were in. The new graves have
      marble head stones and can be very elaborate.

      You will probably be able to find your family's records at your local LDS
      (Latter Day Saints) FHC (Family History Center). The LDS has microfilmed
      the RC, GC and Evangelical church records in Eastern Slovakia. Most
      records stop at about 1895. To get more recent records you would have to
      find what village in the area keeps the records and write to them.

      the Slovak phone book is at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html You can
      get the address and phone numbers for the Tarc(h)a and other family
      surnames such as:

      Michal Tarca
      188, Habura
      06752 = postal code = http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

      0939/7392191 = phone

      Since Medzilaborce is just a few miles south of Habura, type Medzilaborce
      into a search engine like Google and you'll find many pages on that
      town. The American Rusyn artist, Andy Warhol museum is in that
      town. http://www.unipo.sk/SARIS/medzilaa.htm I believe it is his
      ancestral town. You'll also find the 1869 Zemplen County Census for
      Medzilaborce at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/1869a.htm . It has a
      couple of Hamas listed. This site shows a Rusyn Folk Ensemble in Habura -
      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/ensemble/habura.htm .

      Also from the Net

      Message #10 Friday, September 29, 2000
      Subject: Urams - Carpatho-Rusyns from Habura

      Posted by: Rich Custer
      Message: Are you aware of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society,
      www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs ? Of our members (over 1,300) the village in
      which the highest number have roots is Habura. The Society's brand-new
      membership directory, along with contact information, lists members'
      ancestral surnames & villages. A number of them have Uram roots too.

      Also check out www.carpatho-rusyn.org and www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc if
      you haven't already.

      Good luck!

      John