Slovak-Serbian name issue: MORAVKO-MORAVKOVICS

  • whiteox_nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2012
      I've now gone full circle in trying to determine any link between MORAVKO and MORAVKOVICS (a family in Dunajska Streda circa 1718).
      I contacted the Serbian Genealogy Society who have no Moravkovic in their database as a family name but have, as 'Moravko' used as a personal name. This Moravko name was possibly given from the Morava River of Serbia and not Moravia.
      I'm left with the probability that the Moravkovic(s) family was not Serbian, but somehow got their -VIC(S) ending. The name died out by 1735 and there is no mention of it since, anywhere at all in the current Family Search indexes.
      Joannes Moravkovics (Maravkovich) was married to Susanna Simonics and had about 3 children from 1717 to 1721. Simonics was a popular Serb name by the way.

      I've looked at the population movement within that time from all over Hungarian states. Turkish and 2 revolutionary armies played a huge part, as well as re-settlement of lands throughout the nation so it follows that Joannes Moravkovic(s) could have come from Serbia.
      The 1715 tax records show Adamus Moravkovics of Hajná Nová Ves near Topolcany. He could have come from Thokoly's disbanded Kuruc army.

      So with these scenarios, what is the possibility that a Moravian/Slovak 'Moravko' was named as 'Moravkovic(s)?
      Are there other 'pure' Slovak family names with the ~vich ~vics endings?
      How would of this come about?

      Thanks

      Peter M.