Tarcha

  • Bob & Jo Ann
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
      Hi My mothers family comes from Habura, Hungary, I have been trying to
      locate family that might still be living over there. But haven't made
      much head way. But I just keep keeping on. My mother's father was
      Micheal Tarcha and her mother was Mary Catherine Hamas. Her father was
      Andrew Hamas and his wife was a Mary Halivickova not sure of spelling.
      They stayed in the old country and sent their 7 children over to America
      with My mom's mom who was 21 at the time she met Micheal on the boat
      when coming over shortly after they married. They had 4 children and my
      mom was the youngest. They were Mary, Micheal, Annie, and My mom Helen
      Tarcha. So if any one can help would be very appreciative. Sincerely a
      Searcher Jo Ann Langendorfer

      --
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
        At 05:24 PM 4/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hi My mothers family comes from Habura, Hungary, I have been trying to
        >locate family that might still be living over there. But haven't made
        >much head way.

        Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary until 1918 when Czechoslovakia was
        formed. Habura is located in Slovakia about 4 miles NW of Medzilaborce in
        Northeast Slovakia near the Polish border.

        > But I just keep keeping on. My mother's father was
        >Micheal Tarcha

        > From the SK phone directory

        Michal TarcaHabura
        MikulᚠTarcaHabura
        MikulᚠTarcaHabura
        Slavomír TarcaHabura

        Jaroslav Tarca (pronounced Tarcha)Májová , Medzilaborce
        Pavel TarcaTolstého , Medzilaborce

        > and her mother was Mary Catherine Hamas.

        Ludmila HamašováMájová , Medzilaborce

        > Her father was Andrew Hamas and his wife was a Mary Halivickova

        Helena HalasováVáclavského , Medzilaborce
        Ingrid Halcinová Švermova , Medzilaborce

        John

      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
          jo ann,
          Habura is in slovakia, not hungary. see website

          http://www.calle.com/world/slovakia/Ha.html

          Noreen
        • Bob & Jo Ann
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
            Dear John thank you for the reply. I would like to find out where my great
            grandparents were buried but I was told that alot of the churchs and the grave
            yards were pushed over when communists were in charge. I cannot believe how
            people stup to such levels. And believe that what they were doing was right.

            But I thank you for your time and the info that you have sent it is much
            appreciated. Sincerely Jo Ann

            John wrote:

            > At 05:24 PM 4/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
            > >Hi My mothers family comes from Habura, Hungary, I have been trying to
            > >locate family that might still be living over there. But haven't made
            > >much head way.
            >
            > Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary until 1918 when Czechoslovakia was
            > formed. Habura is located in Slovakia about 4 miles NW of Medzilaborce in
            > Northeast Slovakia near the Polish border.
            >
            > > But I just keep keeping on. My mother's father was
            > >Micheal Tarcha
            >
            > > From the SK phone directory
            >
            > Michal TarcaHabura
            > MikulᚠTarcaHabura
            > MikulᚠTarcaHabura
            > Slavomír TarcaHabura
            >
            > Jaroslav Tarca (pronounced Tarcha)Májová , Medzilaborce
            > Pavel TarcaTolstého , Medzilaborce
            >
            > > and her mother was Mary Catherine Hamas.
            >
            > Ludmila HamašováMájová , Medzilaborce
            >
            > > Her father was Andrew Hamas and his wife was a Mary Halivickova
            >
            > Helena HalasováVáclavského , Medzilaborce
            > Ingrid Halcinová Švermova , Medzilaborce
            >
            > John
            >
            > > not sure of spelling.
            > >They stayed in the old country and sent their 7 children over to America
            > >with My mom's mom who was 21 at the time she met Micheal on the boat
            > >when coming over shortly after they married. They had 4 children and my
            > >mom was the youngest. They were Mary, Micheal, Annie, and My mom Helen
            > >Tarcha. So if any one can help would be very appreciative. Sincerely a
            > >Searcher Jo Ann Langendorfer
            > >
            > >--

            Come one an All!
            Join us to make a Six Figure Income!
            http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?1041151
          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2001
              At 08:05 PM 4/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
              >Dear John thank you for the reply. I would like to find out where my great
              >grandparents were buried but I was told that alot of the churchs and the grave
              >yards were pushed over when communists were in charge. I cannot believe how
              >people stup to such levels. And believe that what they were doing was right.

              I visited the Bardejov area in 1999 (west of Habura) and found the churches
              functioning and many had been refurbished. My parent's villages had Greek
              Catholic churches and also in my father's village a Pravoslavny (Orthodox)
              church. I don't think church and grave destruction occurred in Slovakia.
              Perhaps the Soviet Union. The Roman Catholic churches were in very good
              condition also. I was there in September and St. Egidas in Bardejov was
              overflowing with people on September 15th, a Slovak national holiday called
              "Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows". As far as the cemeteries go, the old
              graves had wooden crosses which eventually decayed. You would have to find
              the church records to tell you what plot they were in. The new graves have
              marble head stones and can be very elaborate.

              You will probably be able to find your family's records at your local LDS
              (Latter Day Saints) FHC (Family History Center). The LDS has microfilmed
              the RC, GC and Evangelical church records in Eastern Slovakia. Most
              records stop at about 1895. To get more recent records you would have to
              find what village in the area keeps the records and write to them.

              the Slovak phone book is at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html You can
              get the address and phone numbers for the Tarc(h)a and other family
              surnames such as:

              Michal Tarca
              188, Habura
              06752 = postal code = http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

              0939/7392191 = phone

              Since Medzilaborce is just a few miles south of Habura, type Medzilaborce
              into a search engine like Google and you'll find many pages on that
              town. The American Rusyn artist, Andy Warhol museum is in that
              town. http://www.unipo.sk/SARIS/medzilaa.htm I believe it is his
              ancestral town. You'll also find the 1869 Zemplen County Census for
              Medzilaborce at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/1869a.htm . It has a
              couple of Hamas listed. This site shows a Rusyn Folk Ensemble in Habura -
              http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/ensemble/habura.htm .

              Also from the Net

              Message #10 Friday, September 29, 2000
              Subject: Urams - Carpatho-Rusyns from Habura

              Posted by: Rich Custer
              Message: Are you aware of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society,
              www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs ? Of our members (over 1,300) the village in
              which the highest number have roots is Habura. The Society's brand-new
              membership directory, along with contact information, lists members'
              ancestral surnames & villages. A number of them have Uram roots too.

              Also check out www.carpatho-rusyn.org and www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc if
              you haven't already.

              Good luck!

              John