Re: [S-R] Handwriting!

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
      Of pulmonary disease. Specifically Tuberculosis.

      On 5 August 2012 06:55, ajdolli <anabeth@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Thanks to help from Peter M., I'm finding my Slovak cousins in the
      > Hungarian Civil Registration records for Budapest.
      >
      > I'm having a terrible time reading the writing, of course. I think that
      > there's a rule in genealogy that the records for your own family are
      > unreadable.
      >
      > For this burial record, can someone read the cause of Maria's death in
      > record #2244 (that's column 10) and tell me what it means?
      >

      > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12414-71060-98?cc=1452460&wc=MM5T-K84:n1596609364
      >
      > Thanks --
      >
      > Anabeth Dollins in balmy (not!) Pittsburgh

    • Anabeth Dollins
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
        Thank you, thank you!

        Would you tell me what the letters in the Hungarian word are?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
          It's 'tudovesz'
          It's a term that is not much in current usage. TUDO (TOO DOUGH said
          rapidly) means lungs and VESZ (VES) means harm. So it can apply to a few
          diseases, but it is generally an older term for tuberculosis. The little
          diacritical marks above the letters signify the pronunciation of those
          vowels.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
            Ah, thanks. That's the information I needed.