Handwriting!

  • ajdolli
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
      Thanks to help from Peter M., I'm finding my Slovak cousins in the Hungarian Civil Registration records for Budapest.

      I'm having a terrible time reading the writing, of course. I think that there's a rule in genealogy that the records for your own family are unreadable.

      For this burial record, can someone read the cause of Maria's death in record #2244 (that's column 10) and tell me what it means?

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12414-71060-98?cc=1452460&wc=MM5T-K84:n1596609364

      Thanks --

      Anabeth Dollins in balmy (not!) Pittsburgh
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
        Of pulmonary disease. Specifically Tuberculosis.

        On 5 August 2012 06:55, ajdolli <anabeth@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thanks to help from Peter M., I'm finding my Slovak cousins in the
        > Hungarian Civil Registration records for Budapest.
        >
        > I'm having a terrible time reading the writing, of course. I think that
        > there's a rule in genealogy that the records for your own family are
        > unreadable.
        >
        > For this burial record, can someone read the cause of Maria's death in
        > record #2244 (that's column 10) and tell me what it means?
        >

        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12414-71060-98?cc=1452460&wc=MM5T-K84:n1596609364
        >
        > Thanks --
        >
        > Anabeth Dollins in balmy (not!) Pittsburgh

      • Anabeth Dollins
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
          Thank you, thank you!

          Would you tell me what the letters in the Hungarian word are?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
            It's 'tudovesz'
            It's a term that is not much in current usage. TUDO (TOO DOUGH said
            rapidly) means lungs and VESZ (VES) means harm. So it can apply to a few
            diseases, but it is generally an older term for tuberculosis. The little
            diacritical marks above the letters signify the pronunciation of those
            vowels.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
              Ah, thanks. That's the information I needed.