Re: [S-R] NATURALIZATION

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
      Dorothy, there was a ship named Furnesia at this time, bringing immigrants/passengers to US. Might "Genesia" be a misreading?

      Julie Michutka

      On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM, dot wrote:

      > Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915. Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.
      >
      > I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.
      >
      > Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?
      >
      > Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?
      >
      > Dorothy

    • Pat Donahoo
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
        Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
        naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
        spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
        papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
        manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.

        Thank you again.

        Dorothy

      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
          Have you been able to establish the village of birth? The hand writing on the manifest is very poor quality.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Donahoo" <dotnpat@...> wrote:

          > Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
          > naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
          > spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
          > papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
          > manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.
          >
          > Thank you again.
          >
          > Dorothy

        • patskanovo
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
            Dorothy,

            You can browse by ship at either Ancestry or Ellis Island by entering the Year,Month and Day of arrival....a list of ships arriving that day will be listed....

            I think it works for Castle Garden too.

            Dennis