Re: [S-R] (no subject)

  • John Kozakiewicz
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2001
      Hi Noreen,
      I am still hanging in there. It has been a great site and can still be,
      just with members passing info back and forth.
      John Kozakiewicz of RI

      At 03:43 PM 4/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      >have not seen anyone on this list for days. i guess we all are unsubscribed
      >in spirit. too bad. it was a great list and helped a lot. if i knew
      >anything about anything i would host this site just to keep it going until
      >when and if Maura returns. but it is better off with no host than with me.
      >anyway, just wondering if there is anyone out there.
      >noreen
    • John/Jo Mulvey
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2001
        I'm here too- a newbie who is going to Bratislava and Vrable next year early. I am in search of my family. Searching for VRABLE, MARSENKO, HOLOVADNE, HIRJAK. All and any advice accepted gratefully.
        Jo (Vrable) Mulvey
        I am still hanging in there. It has been a great site and can still be,
        just with members passing info back and forth.
        John Kozakiewicz of RI

        At 03:43 PM 4/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
        >have not seen anyone on this list for days. i guess we all are unsubscribed
        >in spirit. too bad. it was a great list and helped a lot. if i knew
        >anything about anything i would host this site just to keep it going until
        >when and if Maura returns. but it is better off with no host than with me.
        >anyway, just wondering if there is anyone out there.
        >noreen

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Enter Business Search Term above

      • imisis@qwest.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2001
          Hello list:

          What do you mean by "until when and if Maura returns"? I must of missed reading
          messages about this.

          mary
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2001
            Yes, but I am in the middle of a move to a new home and so the Family
            History Library is seeing very little of me these days! I do plan to plunge
            into a couple hundred years of church records from Liptovsky Ja'n in the not
            too distant future...

            > I am still hanging in there. It has been a great site and can still be,
            > just with members passing info back and forth.
            > John Kozakiewicz of RI
            >
            > At 03:43 PM 4/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
            > >have not seen anyone on this list for days. i guess we all are
            unsubscribed
            > >in spirit. too bad. it was a great list and helped a lot. if i knew
            > >anything about anything i would host this site just to keep it going
            until
            > >when and if Maura returns. but it is better off with no host than with
            me.
            > >anyway, just wondering if there is anyone out there.
            > >noreen

          • Pat Galovich
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7, 2001
              Jo: I wish you a good trip! - Wish I was going with you to Bratislava. My husband's family (Galovic/Galovich) are from that area; his father was born there in 1900 and his half-brother and family are
              now living in the Poprad district. We plan to make a trip next year (2002). Good hunting and enjoy!
              Pat
              __________________________

              John/Jo Mulvey wrote:

              > I'm here too- a newbie who is going to Bratislava and Vrable next year early. I am in search of my family. Searching for VRABLE, MARSENKO, HOLOVADNE, HIRJAK. All and any advice accepted gratefully.
              > Jo (Vrable) Mulvey

            • Bittman, Bill
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 9, 2001
                I am still receiving this list. Maybe you are having problems.

              • krejc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 10, 2001
                  thanks bill, yes i am back on track now and receiving mail
                  noreen
                • Jan Augusta
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                    Using Shtetlseeker, I found Csurgo in Hungary.

                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                      Some good soul will tell you the modern Slovak name of the village. Place
                      names were all Hungarian prior to 1920.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                        Shelia,

                        I do not find Czorgo related to any Slovak town/village. I do however, find
                        Cso"rgo" which is the Magyar name for the village of C^erhov, okres
                        Trebis^ov, kraj Vy'chodoslovensky'.

                        Information is from the 3 volume set of books Vlastivedný Slovník Obcí na
                        Slovensku "Country Dictionary Now and Then on Slovakia", Prepared by:
                        Encyclopedic Institute of the Slovak Academy of Science, 1977, Bratislava.

                        C^erhov is located approximately 18 KM due South of Trebis^ov along highway
                        #535. It is less than 2 KM from the current Magyarorska'g border. It is
                        also only 7 KM due North of the Magyar town of Sa'toraljau'jhely.

                        C^erhov had the following names, each of which was first used in written
                        documents in the year shown:
                        1377 Chergow
                        1429 Cergow
                        1920 C^ergov
                        1948 C^erhov; Magyar name was Cso"rgo"

                        Population was 435 in 1869 and 916 in 1970.

                        If you would like a copy of the information please contact me privately at
                        plichta@....

                        P.S. For everyone else who has requested village/town information, I'm
                        working on the more than 50 requests one at a time.

                        Frank R. Plichta
                        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
                        "Ja hl'adanie na celom svete za PLICHTA."
                        "Das die Welt fuer PLICHTA suchen."
                        "Je cherche le monde pour la famille PLICHTA."
                        "Buscando el mundo por los PLICHTA."
                        "Quaerere summa reum familia PLICHTA."
                        I would appreciate receiving ANY information, about ANY Plichta, from ANY
                        place, at ANY time in history.

                        Some good soul will tell you the modern Slovak name of the village. Place
                        names were all Hungarian prior to 1920.

                        > Through the Ellis Island Website I found my grandfather's original name
                        and
                        > date when he arrived in the US. His birth name was "Josef Mingyas" and he
                        > arrived at Ellis Island in 1906 with other relatives from Czorgo, Hungary.
                        > He changed his name to "Joseph Mendis" and settled in Pennsylvania. I
                        can't
                        > find Czorgo on any map and I would appreciate help in where to go now to
                        get
                        > information on this city and any other personal records. I was told by
                        > another relative that my grandfather was from the county of Spis but I'm
                        not
                        > sure. Any help would be appreciated.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Sheila

                      • Helen France
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                          Could the current name be Cerhov (Zemplin)?

                          Some good soul will tell you the modern Slovak name of the village. Place
                          names were all Hungarian prior to 1920.

                          > Through the Ellis Island Website I found my grandfather's original name
                          and
                          > date when he arrived in the US. His birth name was "Josef Mingyas" and he
                          > arrived at Ellis Island in 1906 with other relatives from Czorgo, Hungary.
                          > He changed his name to "Joseph Mendis" and settled in Pennsylvania. I
                          can't
                          > find Czorgo on any map and I would appreciate help in where to go now to
                          get
                          > information on this city and any other personal records. I was told by
                          > another relative that my grandfather was from the county of Spis but I'm
                          not
                          > sure. Any help would be appreciated.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Sheila

                        • John M.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                            At 04:04 PM 4/21/02 -0400, you wrote:
                            Szepes Go^rgo^. Czorgo (cursive) could be Gorgo. It is very likely that
                            Tsepes is a corruption of Szepes.

                            I forgot to add that the LDS Family History Center microfilms for Spis^sky
                            Hrhov can be located at:
                            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp by doing a
                            place search on Spissky Hrhov. You might confirm that the film numbers are:

                            FHL INTL Film [ 1739901 Items 6-8 ]
                            FHL INTL Film [ 1739902 ]
                            VAULT INTL Film [ 1739903 Items 1-5 ]

                            John
                          • Dr. Joe Quashnock
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 21, 2002
                              I looked for Hungarian towns that begin with "CZ" and they just don't exist. The
                              name "Csorgo" also did not and does exist, close spellings are - Csor, Csorba,
                              Csorda, Csorna, and Csorva. Using a G, as suggested by John M.; Go"rgo~ (Görgő -
                              Tornagörgő) is present day Spis^sky' Hrhov (Spišský Hrhov) which is a small town
                              5 km east of Levoc^a (Levoča). It was founded in 1243 and has has the following
                              collection of names:

                              1234 Gurgew, Gergew
                              1260 Gyrgow;
                              1278 Gargov, Gurgo, Gurgeu;
                              1280 Gargou villa Sclavonicalis (SclaVonicalis)
                              1320 Sclauonicalis (SclaUonicalis), Teutonicalis Gargou;
                              1323 Toutgergeu;
                              1342 Thoutgargow, Nemetgargow;
                              1369 Thotgargov, Nemesgsargov;
                              1773 Harkow;
                              1786 Harkow
                              1948 Spis^sky' Hrhov

                              Spis^skohrovsky', Hrhovsky', Spis^skohrhovc^an

                              Hungarian name - Go"rgo~, Tornago"rgo~

                              German name - Gorg

                              It's population has been fairly constant from 1869 (746) to 1970 (978)

                              Some of the LDS films referenced also have records of Spis^sky' Hrus^ov, that is
                              a different town about 10 km south east of Spis^sky' Hrhov.

                              The Spis^ - Szepes references are all consistent with Spis^sky' Hrus^ov.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              "frankly1us" wrote:

                              >'gy' is a Hungarian letter pron. d.
                              >So Mendis might be a closer 'sounds-like' in Slovak for the original surname.

                              >The LDS-Mormons filmed the parish church records for Cso"rgo" (H) C^herhov (Sk)
                              formerly located in >Zemplén megye (county)

                              >You did not specify surname religion.

                              >For example, its R.C. parish church records (1849-1903) are listed under
                              Lastovce, Slovakia; formerly >formerly Lasztócz, Zemplén megye (county),Hungary

                              "John M." wrote:

                              > Based on the EIDB there were several Mingyas arriving in the early
                              > twentieth century. Their villages are listed as Szepesgorgo, Czorgo, and
                              > Go^rgo^ and Tsepes Taspaln. Looking at the ship's manifest, it may be that
                              > what is interpreted as a Cz is a stylized G in cursive. Go^rgo^ was in
                              > Spis county and is now known as Spis^sky Hrhov. I believe the Hungarian
                              > name for Spis county was Szepes, so the Szepesgorgo could very well be
                              > Szepes Go^rgo^. Czorgo (cursive) could be Gorgo. It is very likely that
                              > Tsepes is a corruption of Szepes.
                              >
                              > The online SK phone directory shows Mind'as ( pronounced Mindyas I believe,
                              > which is close to his chosen Mendis) in some Spis towns (Spis^ska Nova' Ves
                              > and Levoc^a) but I didn't see any Mingyas.
                              >
                              > John
                            • Ron Matviyak
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                OK, in the spirit of one upmanship on John/Jan/Janko/Sara -he who comes up
                                with de answers, Upor shows up quite well on the hiking map of Trebisov (map
                                No 117). It is much closer to Trebisov than Kosice, about the 15km Jan
                                noted, and it has nothing of note in the village. That last comment was for
                                getting snippy when everyone ignored you. We have lives to lead. One
                                church of some sort. The neighboring villages of Zemplinska Nova Ves and
                                Niz^ny Z^ipov have nice yellow lines under the names, so there is something
                                of note to someone in them; Zemplinsky NV: joined with Upor and Stanc^a
                                1964. FIrst mention of Upor in the records around 1290, Stanc^i has a
                                church dating from 1789.

                                Try to relax and enjoy yourself!

                                Ron

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 13, 2002
                                  Dear M.Koscik (?)

                                  I was researching some families in Upor some time ago.
                                  In order to be able to give you a good advice, I would need to know more about your ancestors, like;
                                  - who was the one that emigrated ( your parents or grandparents)?
                                  - any dates of them?
                                  One should never call people unprepared.
                                  You may also write me directly.
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir Bohinc
                                  www.konekta.sk

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 15, 2005
                                    You need to go to the website to do this. Click on edit my membership at the top right corner and choose unsubscribe or look at the bottom for the un-subscribe link line in any of of the group messages.

                                    Janet

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 15, 2006
                                      If this is all you know I would give up :-)
                                      Vladimir

                                      If you want somebody to help you then you must present everything you know in nice order. This will prevent too many questions in the beginning.
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                        I whole heartedly agree with Vladimir. More content, more surrounding facts
                                        are necessary in order to sort this out. Obviously certain people who wrote
                                        these names were confused, but we know not which ones.

                                        Tell us more about Mike - birth year, immigration year, language spoken,
                                        destination, religion, surnames of children, where married & when. What
                                        ethnicity did he describe himself as? Friends? What documents do you
                                        have? What was the source of each country you reference?

                                        Bill

                                        Ok have a problem!! I have the following info on family and not sure
                                        where
                                        to look. They family has Austria- Hungary- on one paper and Austria on
                                        the
                                        naturalization paper. Then there is Poland for the son then there is
                                        Slovakia
                                        then I have Czechoslovakia. All for Demeter ( Mike) Cikos/Chicos. AND I
                                        wonder why I am hitting brick walls or going nuts!!
                                        Ruth Mesarch

                                        genealogy
                                        Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                                        Service.

                                        http://www.eset.sk

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Dolores Glade
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006

                                          > I whole heartedly agree with Vladimir. More
                                          > content, more surrounding facts
                                          > are necessary in order to sort this out. Obviously
                                          > certain people who wrote
                                          > these names were confused, but we know not which
                                          > ones.
                                          >
                                          > Tell us more about Mike - birth year, immigration
                                          > year, language spoken,
                                          > destination, religion, surnames of children, where
                                          > married & when. What
                                          > ethnicity did he describe himself as? Friends?
                                          > What documents do you
                                          > have? What was the source of each country you
                                          > reference?
                                          >
                                          > Bill

                                          My grandmother's maiden name was Demeter and she came
                                          from the Austrian Hungarian Empire part which is now
                                          Slovakia. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

                                          Dee G.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
                                            Dolores sent more info privately:

                                            Essential snippet:
                                            ----------------
                                            Michael ( Mitro "Demeter") Cikos' (Chicos what is used now)
                                            Born =Nov 2,2875 Kurove, Bardejov, Na Slovabsku Ceskoslovensku
                                            Died= May 11,1965 Ind:

                                            Wife= Maria ( Mary ) Lukach
                                            Born =Oct 12, 1877 Czechoslovakia
                                            Died = Dec 7 ,1953 Chicago Ill. hospital

                                            John Chicos =Born Oct 28,1901 In Poland is what his Army paper says.
                                            Died April 16,1976

                                            I have a baptismal paper for Demeter Cikos. It is a copy. Also have a copy
                                            pf Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat. can't find a date and I can't read it.
                                            Then a Naturalization paper, which is a copy.

                                            --------------------

                                            Scan what you can't read, we can figure it out.

                                            It looks like Mitro was born in Kurov, in the province of Bardejov, in
                                            present-day Slovakia.

                                            The Mormons have filmed the church records which include periods of
                                            immigration for these people. http://tinyurl.com/oz4hp

                                            Scan the baptismal certificate, I'll have a look. The language is not lost.
                                            It's written in Magyar (Hungarian) but pretty easy to decipher. We do it
                                            all the time.

                                            Kurov is only about 4 km south of the Poland border. Sections of this
                                            border changed back and forth over the years, or possibly they were working
                                            in Poland when the child was born.

                                            I will post this information on the discussion group for all to see.

                                            Don't have enough info to comment on the wife.
                                            Did they become naturalized citizens? The INS/BCIS files are a good place
                                            to check for birthplace.

                                            Here is a map. http://tinyurl.com/magpf you will see a road (now closed)
                                            going straight into Poland.

                                            Bill

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                                              On the Great Lakes I would suspect that they came in through Canada. Do you
                                              have any idea which year, approximately?

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 6, 2006
                                                Aah Ruth,
                                                Istvan is Stefan or Stephen
                                                Katalin is Katarina or Cathy