Re: [S-R] Opinions on in-country research

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
      I too did the same. But I also went a step further and created a separate
      FB page just on my genealogy. Within a month I got some interest and it
      turned out that a missing branch of the family (left home town in 1850's)
      made contact!
      I can't describe how wonderful that felt as we both worked hard on
      determining the links between both families. Even though we're effectively
      strangers, the common link and the shared ancestry has 'wowed' us both and
      has actually raised the consciousness of everyone involved, all thanks to
      Facebook (which I don't like for privacy reasons), Skype and Twitter.
      I'm going next year. I'm buying a car ($1000 buys you something
      adequate+GPS unit) and travelling around Slovakia knocking on doors of
      suspected relatives and also organizing everyone to meet up in the home
      town for a huge family gathering, from the UK, Germany, Austria, Hungary
      and Slovakia. The UK link came via Twitter. All I did was to create an
      account and searched for the family name, left an sms to contact me by
      email.

      Peter M.

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
        Debbie,

        I'm happy to share mine. Most of it is in Hungarian, but there is some
        English too:

        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marafko-Moravko-Maraffko-Morafko-Family-Genealogy/257668104249036

        I think you need a FB account though.

        Peter M.

      • tom geiss
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
          I joined facebook, not for the "Chatter", but so my family "COULD FIND ME". I found two daughters of my cousin.
          And one of them in California from my dad's side, when she was in Portland stopped in to visit someone from my mom's side. And they spent time visiting and going thru photos.
          And (I guess you could call this eavesdropping)? Some of my relatives in Slovakia are on facebook; and I get to see their photos; and their "boyfriends?"- - - No, we do not correspond directly, (personality differences?) And, of course, most of their facebook chatter is in Slovak.
          I am not very outgoing, but I'm sure that someday someone will "break the ice?"
          I'm not on facebook but have been considering making a facebook page for genealogical purposes. I would love to hear how others have done so, from those who have them strictly for that purpose.

          Thank you, and thank you Laura for starting this conversation by asking the first question!

          Debbie

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

          > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
            I established a family group on Facebook. I've found about 60 relatives with Facebook accounts, and have invited them to join. It's not a very active group, but it's useful when people are traveling to be able to determine whether cousins can meet each other. We've had some interesting conversations about mother tongues, cooking, etc., as well as genealogical exchanges.

            Sue

            --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

            > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Laura
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
              Do you create a new page or spin it off your regular facebook ?

              Laura

               Peace, Love and Harmony

            • Nancy Gibbs
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                Peter,
                   How did you create a separate FB page?  Just as if you were first signing up for FB?

                Nancy J.

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                  Along the blue bar on the top, next to your facebook name, there is a
                  'Home' option with a little arrow next to it.
                  Click the arrow and choose 'Account Settings'
                  At the bottom of this page, you will find (in tiny writing), 'Create a page'
                  Click that.
                  I think I chose 'Cause or Community'.

                  Facebook isn't intuitive or for that matter easy to use. Everything is a
                  puzzle and the Facebook organization tends to change things on a whim.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Thank you.  I created a page with my Slovakia surname.  Now I hope I'll get some interest.