Re: [S-R] Opinions on in-country research

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
      A friend of mine over there, when I told her of a letter written to my Grandma from Brezovica Nad Torysou, called a lady that she knows there (a former postmistress) who, (as it turned out ) had, as a teacher in school, my grandma's niece.- - Then, later, when I wrote to this lady (in my amateur Slovak) asking for someone to go to the cemetery to get some more names., I received a SURPRISE LETTER from an 89 year old man who "knew the family"., and told me who married who. And he gave me an address in Kosice where someone lived.- - I found, on the "Slovak White pages" that he was still there, so I wrote to him, in Slovak, and included the information that I already had.
      A couple of months later I received a letter in Slovak, from HIS SON, IN VRANOV NAD TOPLOU, informing me that his father was ill, and he is writing in his place.
      His son is the great-grandson of my grandma's brother.
      Correspondence is in Slovak, so there's not too much.
      Tom
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
        Which ones do you turn off?
        Laura

         Peace, Love and Harmony

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
          Laura

           I should have emphasized a little more; .......on facebook you can enter your ancestral villiage in the search engine.

           When I did it for mine, it brought up hundreds of names. most were young and a good majority could read and write English.

           Like kids everywhere most weren't into genealogy but they seem to enjoy contacts with Americans, and the ones I friended did ask their family for information.

           I think it's interesting too, to see how the younger generation in Slovakia socailize and what their interests are.

           One big difference I noticed is Slovak children are much more respectful of their families and their culture and most important; their selves.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
            Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

             Peace, Love and Harmony

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
              I'm not on facebook but have been considering making a facebook page for genealogical purposes. I would love to hear how others have done so, from those who have them strictly for that purpose.

              Thank you, and thank you Laura for starting this conversation by asking the first question!

              Debbie

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.
              >

              >  Peace, Love and Harmony
              >

              > >________________________________

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                I too did the same. But I also went a step further and created a separate
                FB page just on my genealogy. Within a month I got some interest and it
                turned out that a missing branch of the family (left home town in 1850's)
                made contact!
                I can't describe how wonderful that felt as we both worked hard on
                determining the links between both families. Even though we're effectively
                strangers, the common link and the shared ancestry has 'wowed' us both and
                has actually raised the consciousness of everyone involved, all thanks to
                Facebook (which I don't like for privacy reasons), Skype and Twitter.
                I'm going next year. I'm buying a car ($1000 buys you something
                adequate+GPS unit) and travelling around Slovakia knocking on doors of
                suspected relatives and also organizing everyone to meet up in the home
                town for a huge family gathering, from the UK, Germany, Austria, Hungary
                and Slovakia. The UK link came via Twitter. All I did was to create an
                account and searched for the family name, left an sms to contact me by
                email.

                Peter M.

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Debbie,

                  I'm happy to share mine. Most of it is in Hungarian, but there is some
                  English too:

                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marafko-Moravko-Maraffko-Morafko-Family-Genealogy/257668104249036

                  I think you need a FB account though.

                  Peter M.

                • tom geiss
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                    I joined facebook, not for the "Chatter", but so my family "COULD FIND ME". I found two daughters of my cousin.
                    And one of them in California from my dad's side, when she was in Portland stopped in to visit someone from my mom's side. And they spent time visiting and going thru photos.
                    And (I guess you could call this eavesdropping)? Some of my relatives in Slovakia are on facebook; and I get to see their photos; and their "boyfriends?"- - - No, we do not correspond directly, (personality differences?) And, of course, most of their facebook chatter is in Slovak.
                    I am not very outgoing, but I'm sure that someday someone will "break the ice?"
                    I'm not on facebook but have been considering making a facebook page for genealogical purposes. I would love to hear how others have done so, from those who have them strictly for that purpose.

                    Thank you, and thank you Laura for starting this conversation by asking the first question!

                    Debbie

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

                    > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
                    >

                    > >________________________________

                  • Sue Martin
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                      I established a family group on Facebook. I've found about 60 relatives with Facebook accounts, and have invited them to join. It's not a very active group, but it's useful when people are traveling to be able to determine whether cousins can meet each other. We've had some interesting conversations about mother tongues, cooking, etc., as well as genealogical exchanges.

                      Sue

                      --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

                      > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
                      >

                      > >________________________________

                    • Laura
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                        Do you create a new page or spin it off your regular facebook ?

                        Laura

                         Peace, Love and Harmony

                      • Nancy Gibbs
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                          Peter,
                             How did you create a separate FB page?  Just as if you were first signing up for FB?

                          Nancy J.

                        • htcstech
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                            Along the blue bar on the top, next to your facebook name, there is a
                            'Home' option with a little arrow next to it.
                            Click the arrow and choose 'Account Settings'
                            At the bottom of this page, you will find (in tiny writing), 'Create a page'
                            Click that.
                            I think I chose 'Cause or Community'.

                            Facebook isn't intuitive or for that matter easy to use. Everything is a
                            puzzle and the Facebook organization tends to change things on a whim.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
                              Thank you.  I created a page with my Slovakia surname.  Now I hope I'll get some interest.