Re: [S-R] NATURALIZATION

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
      I have a number of thoughts and questions on this, Dorothy.

      On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM, dot wrote:

      > Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915.

      I wonder if the ship name is being misread.

      I've seen people mis-remember what year they arrived, especially if they did not apply for naturalization until decades later. Although, they usually were off by just a year or so, not several years. My point is, search 1904-1908 if the date of the naturalization papers is many years later.

      > Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.

      Sounds like a different John Almasy. What records are you referring to?

      Try playing with Steve Morse's search options at stevemorse.org. If you know the name of the town (and it sounds like you do), you can search by town name instead of person name, and you can limit it to a specific year or range of years. That might be your best bet. I've had very good luck finding people by searching town name only on Morse's site, when I simply could not find them otherwise (name poorly written and indexed).

      > I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.

      No surprise; I've never heard of Ellis Island helping people with genealogical research.

      > Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?

      Morton Allan Directory (or Alan, or Allen). Hmm, I think you might find it on Morse's site also. Maybe on Ancestry.

      > Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?

      Their legal entry was verified before they could be naturalized **IF** they arrived *after* 29 June 1906 (The Source, p. 403).

      I would play with Steve Morse's site and with Ancestry.com (if you don't have a subscription to Ancestry, you can probably find a library that offers free access onsite). Check your guy's census records for 1910, 1920, and 1930 to see what years are recorded for his immigration (and hope the info is correct).

      Also go to FamilySearch.org and see if you can find his marriage record; it's amazing what state records they have now, and more are being added constantly.

      Good luck.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
        Dorothy, there was a ship named Furnesia at this time, bringing immigrants/passengers to US. Might "Genesia" be a misreading?

        Julie Michutka

        On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM, dot wrote:

        > Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915. Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.
        >
        > I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?
        >
        > Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?
        >
        > Dorothy

      • Pat Donahoo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
          Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
          naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
          spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
          papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
          manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.

          Thank you again.

          Dorothy

        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
            Have you been able to establish the village of birth? The hand writing on the manifest is very poor quality.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Donahoo" <dotnpat@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
            > naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
            > spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
            > papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
            > manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.
            >
            > Thank you again.
            >
            > Dorothy

          • patskanovo
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
              Dorothy,

              You can browse by ship at either Ancestry or Ellis Island by entering the Year,Month and Day of arrival....a list of ships arriving that day will be listed....

              I think it works for Castle Garden too.

              Dennis