Havran

  • Tim Skvarenina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2001
      Hi,

      Sorry forwarding didn't seem to work correctly.

      A friend of my wife is named Havran and sent the
      following two messages to me.

      Tim Skvarenina

      1st message
      Havran is not Jewish but Bohemian. My husband's father
      (Lester Havran)
      is
      full blooded bohemian. His father did not learn
      English until he was 8
      years old. His parents came from Bohemia. I will look
      up our family
      history document that a cousin researched and let you
      know what it
      says.
      Havran came from Skuch (sp) and Prague. What is your
      relationship to
      Havrans?

      Laura

      2nd Message:
      This is what we know about our Havran ancestry. It's
      not much but maybe
      it would help you.

      Frank Havran married Christina Novak (we only know the
      names)
      b. ??? John
      b. 2 February 1864 Frank Havran (son of above)in
      Prague Czechoslovakia
      d. 26 Dec 1942 (frank)
      m. 1885 or 1886Anna Krejci (or Krejcova) in Skuch,
      Bohemia,
      b. 2 Feb 1964 in Bohemia
      d. 19 Dec 1952 (anna)

      Frank and Anna Havran
      b. 15 Sept 1886 Frank in Bohemia (my husband's
      grandfather)
      b. 24 Nov 1888 John in Bohemia
      b. 10 Dec 1890 Louie in Bohemia
      b. 1894 or 1895 Joe (first) d. 1987
      b. 27 Feb 1896 Agnes
      b. 26 Dec 1987 Joe
      b. 27 Jan 1903 Charles
      b. 13 Apr 1906 Rudolph
      b. 1908 or 1909 Emil d. 1908 or 1909

      Frank (Anna's husband) came to America in 1893 and
      Anna followed a year
      later with 3 sons. Frank, John and Louis. The father
      Frank became an
      American citizen in 1901. They settled in central
      Iowa. Frank worked
      for
      the railroad and took up farming 1905.

      Grandpa Frank said they lived on 14 acres in Bohemia.
      His father Frank
      (Anna's husband) was a shoemaker. They lived in a
      house with a dirt
      floor. Grandpa Frank remembers his father plowing the
      fields with the
      milk cow.

      Son Frank (b. 1886) married Agnes Kosnar in 1910
      b. 1911 Evelyn
      b. 1916 Virgil d. 1978
      b. 1924 Lester (This is my husbands father)

      Frank (Anna's husband) had a brother John in the old
      country obtained
      food by poaching on game preserves. Frank (Agnes
      husband) listed
      Budisov
      or Chrudim in Bohemia on his wedding certificate. (A
      cousin of my
      husbands sent a letter to census office (matrikaurad)
      in both Budisov
      and
      Chrudim. The Chrudim was returned "unknown". The
      Budisov letter was
      never
      returned.

      Frank, John and Louis remember playing with cousins in
      Bohemia before
      coming to America.

      This is all we know. Hope this helps. If you find a
      connection to our
      line, let us know.

      We have always been told that Havran means raven.
      Krejcova means
      tailor.

      Laura Havran

      Laura

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Tim Skvarenina <tskvarenina@y...> wrote:

        > This is all we know. Hope this helps. If you find a
        > connection to our
        > line, let us know.
        >
        > We have always been told that Havran means raven.
        > Krejcova means
        > tailor.
        >
        > Laura Havran
        >
        > Laura

        ahoj !

        Havran means 'raven' and 'vrána' means crow in Czech.

        The Czech telephone directory lists 14 surname Havran under Praha.

        Skuch is probably Skutec^ (C) Skutsch (G) located 70 miles ESE of
        Praha.
        Former Czech-Bohemia had both Czech towns and German towns.
        Following WW II, the German names were changed to Czech names.

        There are probably 300-400 surname Havran bearers just in the U.S.

        Perhaps 1300-2000 surname Krejci bearers just in the U.S.
        Krejc^ová would be the feminine gender form (-ová) of the family
        name, Krejc^í, and used just in Europe.

        Krejcova doesn't mean 'tailor'.
        Krejc^í is the occupational surname, meaning 'tailor'.

        With so many surname bearers, pre-emigration surname village/town of
        origin is required to determine possible relationships with other same
        surname bearers.
        Post-emigration surname information will mean very little.