Re: [S-R] Opinions on in-country research

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
      Annie

       You can usually find some living relatives on facebook. You can search by name, but you can also enter your ancestral villiage.

       A good percentage of kids in Slovakia understand English.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
        The "COSTS", you ask? Seems like I've heard it's about $500.00 per day.???
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
          I made a mistake by not finding out if they were really certified as a
          genealogist. I just took the word of one of the most efficient facillators
          on Slovak-Roots . I had previosly checked out a few other, researchers ,
          those genealogists , their price was way out in left field and beyond!.
          I chose the one that was ok's by the facillator, but, say in short , very
          disappointing. Me, not knowing the Slovak language , was given on the
          first e-mail, stripes copied from the ? records , in Slovak??
          A white long
          strip ----------------------------------------------------
          / / / /
          name , not deciphered as one of my relatives, and words , no dates, no
          explanation what so ever??

          This was suppose to be one of the names to be researched?

          So, I got 5 stripes in the middle of 5 pages!!

          Gave names of grgrandparents and dates, the grandmother was a different
          name, than what was given to facillate the search! .

          Mothers siblings listed, but two of them were not listed!

          Grandfathers' surname was correct, but the father had a different name
          listed with my grandmother?

          Had specifically asked for ceritified death papers,of Mother, not given,
          same for her marriage ,not given.

          Sent pages that I had already copied for my own research. , not dealing
          with my research Other things that I did not ask for.

          So, with those few pages , the researcher was already wanted his money!!
          To stop further research, or so called, sent half of what asked for!!
          Then I think i I gave toooo much!!!!

          Remembering , reading , of others hiring researchers, stated that when
          the reseraching was completed with their all their wishes,would be
          informed of what was coming and then requested payment!!

          Am grateful that there are more , pertinet information given on this site,
          free gratis!!

          Vera

        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
            I had a good experience with a woman in Bytca who had worked for the regional archive. She spent some time researching my family, and when I was there, took me to the archive where I was able to peruse some of the original registers. She also took me to cemeteries.

            She doesn't speak anything but Slovak. However, her grandson speaks English very well, and came along as interpreter.

            Her fees were incredibly reasonable. We paid her extra, in fact, because we felt we were cheating her.

            Let me know if you would like her name.

            Sue

[...]

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
              Vera,

              Who did you hire?

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
                I paid $100 for all the work she did. I don't think she's a professional genealogist, but she certainly satisfied our needs.

                Sue

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
                  A few years ago I was "fishing" for a genealogist, trying to get an idea about his rates, through E-mails. And, when I told him that I had contacted another he got ticked off and all but told me to get lost.
                  Tom
                  I paid $100 for all the work she did. I don't think she's a professional genealogist, but she certainly satisfied our needs.

                  Sue

                  The "COSTS", you ask? Seems like I've heard it's about $500.00 per day.???
                  I'm considering having some research done on both ancestors in Slovakia, but wondered what people experience with this type of research was like and what sort of results were generated. I have already found both of their Latin birth records on Family Search so beyond that I'm not sure what more can be told. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel if it's worth the costs and what are the costs for that matter. I have no idea what I should expect.

                • Nick
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
                    >I used Vladimir Bohinc I was pleased with what he did for me. his
                    >web page is at

                    www.konekta.sk/
                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Nick,

                      Vladi is a good friend of mine and I have read many praises of him.  He is a Slovenian.  His second wife is a Slovak and thy live in Nove Mesto nad Vahom.Vladi participated in Slovak World until a trouble maker caused him ti quit.

                      Good Choice but I am prejudiced toward him.

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________
                      >I used Vladimir Bohinc I was pleased with what he did for me. his
                      >web page is at

                      www.konekta.sk/

                    • Nick
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 1, 2012
                        Vilo

                        >So am I, some people have problems with straight shooters but I prefer them.

                        Regards
                        Nick
                      • patskanovo
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                          I agree with Larry and John...it may seem daunting but well worth the investment of your own time and effort.

                          I am lucky to have found relatives that are interested in their family research and have sent pictures and small little details that a hired researcher could not provide.

                          Many do not realize that you can turn off many Facebook features and it becomes then another tool used for genealogy...

                          Dennis

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                            A friend of mine over there, when I told her of a letter written to my Grandma from Brezovica Nad Torysou, called a lady that she knows there (a former postmistress) who, (as it turned out ) had, as a teacher in school, my grandma's niece.- - Then, later, when I wrote to this lady (in my amateur Slovak) asking for someone to go to the cemetery to get some more names., I received a SURPRISE LETTER from an 89 year old man who "knew the family"., and told me who married who. And he gave me an address in Kosice where someone lived.- - I found, on the "Slovak White pages" that he was still there, so I wrote to him, in Slovak, and included the information that I already had.
                            A couple of months later I received a letter in Slovak, from HIS SON, IN VRANOV NAD TOPLOU, informing me that his father was ill, and he is writing in his place.
                            His son is the great-grandson of my grandma's brother.
                            Correspondence is in Slovak, so there's not too much.
                            Tom
                            I agree with Larry and John...it may seem daunting but well worth the investment of your own time and effort.

                            I am lucky to have found relatives that are interested in their family research and have sent pictures and small little details that a hired researcher could not provide.

                            Many do not realize that you can turn off many Facebook features and it becomes then another tool used for genealogy...

                            Dennis

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

                            > Annie
                            >
                            >  You can usually find some living relatives on facebook. You can search by name, but you can also enter your ancestral villiage.
                            >
                            > Â A good percentage of kids in Slovakia understand English.
                            >
                            > Larry

                          • Laura
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                              Which ones do you turn off?
                              Laura

                               Peace, Love and Harmony

                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                Laura

                                 I should have emphasized a little more; .......on facebook you can enter your ancestral villiage in the search engine.

                                 When I did it for mine, it brought up hundreds of names. most were young and a good majority could read and write English.

                                 Like kids everywhere most weren't into genealogy but they seem to enjoy contacts with Americans, and the ones I friended did ask their family for information.

                                 I think it's interesting too, to see how the younger generation in Slovakia socailize and what their interests are.

                                 One big difference I noticed is Slovak children are much more respectful of their families and their culture and most important; their selves.

                                Larry

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                  Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

                                   Peace, Love and Harmony

                                • deeellessbee
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                    I'm not on facebook but have been considering making a facebook page for genealogical purposes. I would love to hear how others have done so, from those who have them strictly for that purpose.

                                    Thank you, and thank you Laura for starting this conversation by asking the first question!

                                    Debbie

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.
                                    >

                                    >  Peace, Love and Harmony
                                    >

                                    > >________________________________

                                  • htcstech
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                      I too did the same. But I also went a step further and created a separate
                                      FB page just on my genealogy. Within a month I got some interest and it
                                      turned out that a missing branch of the family (left home town in 1850's)
                                      made contact!
                                      I can't describe how wonderful that felt as we both worked hard on
                                      determining the links between both families. Even though we're effectively
                                      strangers, the common link and the shared ancestry has 'wowed' us both and
                                      has actually raised the consciousness of everyone involved, all thanks to
                                      Facebook (which I don't like for privacy reasons), Skype and Twitter.
                                      I'm going next year. I'm buying a car ($1000 buys you something
                                      adequate+GPS unit) and travelling around Slovakia knocking on doors of
                                      suspected relatives and also organizing everyone to meet up in the home
                                      town for a huge family gathering, from the UK, Germany, Austria, Hungary
                                      and Slovakia. The UK link came via Twitter. All I did was to create an
                                      account and searched for the family name, left an sms to contact me by
                                      email.

                                      Peter M.

                                    • htcstech
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                        Debbie,

                                        I'm happy to share mine. Most of it is in Hungarian, but there is some
                                        English too:

                                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marafko-Moravko-Maraffko-Morafko-Family-Genealogy/257668104249036

                                        I think you need a FB account though.

                                        Peter M.

                                      • tom geiss
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                          I joined facebook, not for the "Chatter", but so my family "COULD FIND ME". I found two daughters of my cousin.
                                          And one of them in California from my dad's side, when she was in Portland stopped in to visit someone from my mom's side. And they spent time visiting and going thru photos.
                                          And (I guess you could call this eavesdropping)? Some of my relatives in Slovakia are on facebook; and I get to see their photos; and their "boyfriends?"- - - No, we do not correspond directly, (personality differences?) And, of course, most of their facebook chatter is in Slovak.
                                          I am not very outgoing, but I'm sure that someday someone will "break the ice?"
                                          I'm not on facebook but have been considering making a facebook page for genealogical purposes. I would love to hear how others have done so, from those who have them strictly for that purpose.

                                          Thank you, and thank you Laura for starting this conversation by asking the first question!

                                          Debbie

                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

                                          > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
                                          >

                                          > >________________________________

                                        • Sue Martin
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                            I established a family group on Facebook. I've found about 60 relatives with Facebook accounts, and have invited them to join. It's not a very active group, but it's useful when people are traveling to be able to determine whether cousins can meet each other. We've had some interesting conversations about mother tongues, cooking, etc., as well as genealogical exchanges.

                                            Sue

                                            --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Laura <helgajake@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks for your input.And your insight. i have found so much information on this site and thank all who contribute .Things like this keep our ancestors alive.

                                            > Â Peace, Love and Harmony
                                            >

                                            > >________________________________

                                          • Laura
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                              Do you create a new page or spin it off your regular facebook ?

                                              Laura

                                               Peace, Love and Harmony

                                            • Nancy Gibbs
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                                                Peter,
                                                   How did you create a separate FB page?  Just as if you were first signing up for FB?

                                                Nancy J.

                                              • htcstech
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
                                                  Along the blue bar on the top, next to your facebook name, there is a
                                                  'Home' option with a little arrow next to it.
                                                  Click the arrow and choose 'Account Settings'
                                                  At the bottom of this page, you will find (in tiny writing), 'Create a page'
                                                  Click that.
                                                  I think I chose 'Cause or Community'.

                                                  Facebook isn't intuitive or for that matter easy to use. Everything is a
                                                  puzzle and the Facebook organization tends to change things on a whim.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
                                                    Thank you.  I created a page with my Slovakia surname.  Now I hope I'll get some interest.