NATURALIZATION

  • dot
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
      Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915. Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.

      I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.

      Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?

      Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?

      Dorothy
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
        Dot,

         Original manifest for Janos Almasy [Yahnohsh Ahlmah-see], (24) Lists He and his wife, Emelie [Ehmahleeah], (21) from Lukocze [Luhkoh-tseh], is Hungarian and is the Slovak Town  Lukové [Luhkoh-veh]. December 16, 1906aboard the ship The Bulgaria.

        Do you have the correct names and Home Town?

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
          Dot & Vilo,
          Janos Almasy and his wife Emilia [exact spelling on manifest] arrive on Dec 16 1906, but aboard the Hannover [not the Bulgaria] in New York. Their last place of residence is Lucocze, later Lukové, but absorbed by the city of Zvolen in the 1976s. They are destined for Creighton, Pennsylvania.

          There is a directory of passenger ship arrivals called the Morton- Allen directory. It is found in many large libraries and available from Amazon.com for $28.00. It is also online, [you can google it] but almost always delivers error messages rather than actually functioning. There is a Cimorelli list drawn from the Morton Allan directory online at
          http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/like_ma_new.htm

          and you can also use Steve Morse's directory and just fill in the dates in which you have interest and it will list all ship arrivals between those dates.
          http://stevemorse.org/ellis/boat.html.

          During the naturalization process some authorities checked the manifests and you will often see the manifest marked later with a naturalization number. Most times, especially before the 1920's no one ever checked the manifests and just took the word of the applicant. Those granted by local and county authorities never checked anything. The process was just too cumbersome. That is why so many naturalizations give erroneous dates and even ships of arrival.

          Curt B.

          > Dot,
          >

          >  Original manifest for Janos Almasy [Yahnohsh Ahlmah-see], (24) Lists He and his wife, Emelie [Ehmahleeah], (21) from Lukocze [Luhkoh-tseh], is Hungarian and is the Slovak Town  Lukové [Luhkoh-veh]. December 16, 1906aboard the ship The Bulgaria.
          >
          > Do you have the correct names and Home Town?
          >
          > Z Bohom,
          >
          > Vilo
          >

          > ________________________________

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
            Curt,

            Sorry for the error in Ship name.  I must have gotten mixed up during my search.  If they were not married when they arrived then the marriage records must be available in Creighton.

            Your info is more complete than mine and I am sure is appreciated.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            Janos Almasy and his wife Emilia [exact spelling on manifest] arrive on Dec 16 1906, but aboard the Hannover [not the Bulgaria] in New York. Their last place of residence is Lucocze, later Lukové, but absorbed by the city of Zvolen in the 1976s. They are destined for Creighton, Pennsylvania.

            There is a directory of passenger ship arrivals called the Morton- Allen directory. It is found in many large libraries and available from Amazon.com for $28.00. It is also online, [you can google it] but almost always delivers error messages rather than actually functioning. There is a Cimorelli list drawn from the Morton Allan directory online at
            http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/like_ma_new.htm

            and you can also use Steve Morse's directory and just fill in the dates in which you have interest and it will list all ship arrivals between those dates.
            http://stevemorse.org/ellis/boat.html.

            During the naturalization process some authorities checked the manifests and you will often see the manifest marked later with a naturalization number. Most times, especially before the 1920's no one ever checked the manifests and just took the word of the applicant. Those granted by local and county authorities never checked anything. The process was just too cumbersome. That is why so many naturalizations give erroneous dates and even ships of arrival.

            Curt B.

            > Dot,
            >

            >  Original manifest for Janos Almasy [Yahnohsh Ahlmah-see], (24) Lists He and his wife, Emelie [Ehmahleeah], (21) from Lukocze [Luhkoh-tseh], is Hungarian and is the Slovak Town  Lukové [Luhkoh-veh]. December 16, 1906aboard the ship The Bulgaria.
            >
            > Do you have the correct names and Home Town?
            >
            > Z Bohom,
            >
            > Vilo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
              I have a number of thoughts and questions on this, Dorothy.

              On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM, dot wrote:

              > Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915.

              I wonder if the ship name is being misread.

              I've seen people mis-remember what year they arrived, especially if they did not apply for naturalization until decades later. Although, they usually were off by just a year or so, not several years. My point is, search 1904-1908 if the date of the naturalization papers is many years later.

              > Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.

              Sounds like a different John Almasy. What records are you referring to?

              Try playing with Steve Morse's search options at stevemorse.org. If you know the name of the town (and it sounds like you do), you can search by town name instead of person name, and you can limit it to a specific year or range of years. That might be your best bet. I've had very good luck finding people by searching town name only on Morse's site, when I simply could not find them otherwise (name poorly written and indexed).

              > I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.

              No surprise; I've never heard of Ellis Island helping people with genealogical research.

              > Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?

              Morton Allan Directory (or Alan, or Allen). Hmm, I think you might find it on Morse's site also. Maybe on Ancestry.

              > Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?

              Their legal entry was verified before they could be naturalized **IF** they arrived *after* 29 June 1906 (The Source, p. 403).

              I would play with Steve Morse's site and with Ancestry.com (if you don't have a subscription to Ancestry, you can probably find a library that offers free access onsite). Check your guy's census records for 1910, 1920, and 1930 to see what years are recorded for his immigration (and hope the info is correct).

              Also go to FamilySearch.org and see if you can find his marriage record; it's amazing what state records they have now, and more are being added constantly.

              Good luck.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
                Dorothy, there was a ship named Furnesia at this time, bringing immigrants/passengers to US. Might "Genesia" be a misreading?

                Julie Michutka

                On Aug 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM, dot wrote:

                > Naturalization papers show John Almasy, departing Bremen and arriving at Port of New York on the SS Genesia on 3/19/06. Ellis Island shows an SS Genesee arriving the first time in 1915. Records also show a John Almasy and wife arriving on 12/16/06, but his family insists he was not married prior to coming to the U.S., nor is his home town correct, nor is his final destination correct.
                >
                > I've contacted Ellis Island and they told me they are too busy with too few employees to look into this matter for me.
                >
                > Does anyone know of a listing of arriving ships by year?
                >
                > Does anyone know if after filing a Declaration of Intention the info is confirmed before issuing an Order of Court admitting Petitioner?
                >
                > Dorothy

              • Pat Donahoo
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
                  naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
                  spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
                  papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
                  manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.

                  Thank you again.

                  Dorothy

                • John
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
                    Have you been able to establish the village of birth? The hand writing on the manifest is very poor quality.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Donahoo" <dotnpat@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Julie, Curt and Vilo for replying to my questions re
                    > naturalization. With your suggestions I was able to find Janos Almasy
                    > spelled as Janos Hmasy coming over, not on the Genesia as the naturalization
                    > papers state, but on the Gneisenau. I had to go thru about 652 names on the
                    > manifest, but finally found what I was seeking.
                    >
                    > Thank you again.
                    >
                    > Dorothy

                  • patskanovo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
                      Dorothy,

                      You can browse by ship at either Ancestry or Ellis Island by entering the Year,Month and Day of arrival....a list of ships arriving that day will be listed....

                      I think it works for Castle Garden too.

                      Dennis