Re: [S-R] Ancestry DNA test

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31 2:42 PM
      How do you access the free memberships to Ancestry?  I have been able to get it at the local library, but it would be nice to have it at home.   Carol

      --- On Tue, 7/31/12, Cyndi Norwitz <cyndi@...> wrote:

      On Jul 21, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Nick Kerpchar wrote:

      >Ancestry has free memberships. You only pay for access to certain databases (the majority of them). In the US you can get a US membership or a World one. In other countries you can buy World or get a country-specific one.

      I have had a free membership for many years. I had a paid one for 6 months when it came with my Family Tree Maker software. I was offered a chance to be on the waiting list for the DNA test even though my paid membership had expired. I'm still on the waiting list. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the Ancestry test. The cost is right but they don't give you access to raw data and it's unclear if they will in the future. If waiting for raw data was just the tradeoff for getting to be a beta tester at a reduced price ($99 vs two or three times that at other places), that would be fine. I just wish I knew.

      Please note there are three DNA tests:

      1) Autosomal (gives ethnicity breakdowns, can be taken by men or women, shows info from all maternal and paternal lines). The $99 Ancestry DNA test is autosomal (they also offer other tests).

      2) Y-DNA (can only be taken by men, only shows the paternal line, gives you a haplogroup, has the most research done about it).

      3) mt-DNA (can be taken by men or women, only shows the maternal line, gives you a haplogroup (completely different system from the Y ones)).

      So when you compare one company to another, be sure you state which test. It's not helpful when someone compares the Ancestry DNA test to a test from another company that gives a haplogroup, since they aren't the same test.

      I wish I had a male relative who was descended from my Slovakia line (Deutelbaum). But there aren't any I know. Would love to do a Y-DNA test. I might do an mt-DNA on me at some point to get my maternal Slovakian line. And I love the idea of autosomal too. It's just a budget thing.

      Cyndi

    • Cyndi Norwitz
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
        On Jul 31, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Nick Kerpchar wrote:

        > Hi Cyndi,
        > I did not know that Ancestory had free membership. I know that they occasionally offer a free trial membership
        > for a week or so but not open-ended. Even if a free membership only provided limited data access that would still
        > be a good thing. Thank you very much for sharing this information.

        They've had free memberships for years. Just don't confuse membership with subscriptions. Subscriptions are not free, unless they're a deal from something (I got 6 months free for buying Family Tree Maker).

        Just go to http://www.ancestry.com/ and sign up.

        Free services include access to the discussion boards (full access), ability to maintain and edit a family tree, ability to send and receive messages to and from other members, access to many free databases (including the 1940 US Census), access to certain databases when Ancestry runs a special (they often open up a database or a set of them for a few days, usually on holiday weekends or around various events), and ability to run searches.

        When you click on a search finding to look at the listing or the scan of the actual document, if it's not a free database, you'll be taken to a page asking you to sign up for US or World subscriptions.

        Note that once you have a membership you have it forever. When I got my 6 month US subscription, I still used my same account, with all my saved info. I simply then had database access I didn't have before. When the subscription ended, I kept my account, I just lost some access.

        > This DNA thing is intriguing and I too wish it was more economical.

        Me too. It's the only thing holding me back.

        Cyndi
      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012
          Thank you Cyndi for the great information about Ancestory.  I am going to sign up today.

          Nick