new member inquiry on GREGOR/GREGA/GRIGA ??

  • Laura S
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
      my name is Laura Summerson.I am researching information on my grandfather.His American name was Michael Gregor.His census lists him from Austria.I have never found him on Ellis Island. His name was Grega.
      I believe he came here around 1909 or so. I have heard any where from
      age 14 -17. In his home land he had a brother name Charles.If their were more I do not know.His Mother and Father were John and Mary.He may have come over with a Mathew Gregor (American name) Both spoke Russian.

      As to my grandmother...she is a mystery and she is extrememly hard to find.Suppossedly she came over after he did.The story is she lost her parents and lived with the Grega family.I have heard her name was MARY.
      I have heard that it was something like Petruska. I have also say it spelled Petroskey. This maybe why we cant find her.

      They lived in Pennsylvania.My grandfather was a coal miner.they had 2 children....Michael 8/20/1917 & John 2/14/1918..they were born in Alicia PA.Fayette Co. Some where between 1925 and 1929..she died.I have never found any paper work on her,no marriage licence,obit or anything.No one even had her picture. I feel such a void to not connect with her some way.

      IN THE 1930 census we found him listed as Michael Gregger.He was listed as a widower with his 2 sons.

      In the 1940 census he is listed as Michael Gregar.He is listed with 2nd family.

      His birthday is 10/20/1894 According to SSEC..Died 1/1/1965
      Someone said he was from Keretsky.Ukraine..No documentation.
      I hope this is clear and hope it is not too long.
      thanks Laura .
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
        >>>Both spoke Russian.<<<

        Are you SURE it was Russian and not Rusyn?

        Any idea of religion? Greek Catholic, perhaps?
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
          Dear John

          i think he is Rusyn.......my Dad said at one time they were Greek Catholic,my grandfather went  to Holy Ressurection Russian Orthodox which was not his normal church but it was the closest that they could..Do you think I am on the wrong list.?
          laura

           Peace, Love and Harmony

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
            >>> Michael Gregor.His census lists him from Austria. . . . His name was Grega. I believe he came here around 1909 or so.. . . age 14 -17. . . . His Mother and Father were John and Mary.He may have come over with a Mathew Gregor (American name) <<<

            How about this Ellis Island listing?
            Grega, Matas 18 1891 1909

            Going to New Jersey. Mother is Maria. Born in Saros Megye = county but I am unsure of village name. It could be Alsoszalok, now called Nizny Slavkov. The Grega name exists in this small village (per Cisarik).

            This one is Ruthenian (Rusyn):
            Grega, Mikal Kereczke, Hungary 17 1893 1910

            He is going to his brother in Fairbank, PA. Father is Ivan = John.

            Also, Matej GRIGA arr. in 1910 as 14 years old from Heaocske (Kerecske on the manifest), going to brother-in-law Matij SAKAL in Fayorbank ? Pa. (Zlatica Beca, 2007). Kereczke believed to be in Marmoros Megye, now Ukraine.

            Does anything here click?
          • Laura
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
              JOHN

              thank you so much.The last two sound good...I have seen them in passing,but wasnt sure...I will go check the name off of ellis Island .The one says Hungary instead of Austria...?? I know their have been many changes in that area with name changes.
              Laura

               Peace, Love and Harmony

              >________________________________

            • John
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
                >>> The one says Hungary instead of Austria...?? I know their have been many changes in that area with name changes.<<<

                It was the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
              • Elaine
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
                  Laura,

                  I am originally from Greene County, PA, and my mother's Slovak relatives settled in Fayette and Westmoreland Counties. I researched records at the Fayette County Courthouse in Uniontown PA, and I also went to the Fayette County Library there, which was very helpful. The library has a card catalog with info on naturalizations which may help you find more specific info on the ancestral towns.

                  Here are some sites you could check out:

                  http://www.fcgspa.org/

                  http://www.pagenweb.org/~fayette/index.html

                  http://www.pagenweb.org/~fayette/research_aids/index.html

                  http://www.pagenweb.org/~fayette/research_aids/libraries.html

                  Good luck!

                  Elaine

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:16 PM, "Laura S" <helgajake@...> wrote:

                  > my name is Laura Summerson.I am researching information on my grandfather.His American name was Michael Gregor.His census lists him from Austria.I have never found him on Ellis Island. His name was Grega.
                  > I believe he came here around 1909 or so. I have heard any where from
                  > age 14 -17. In his home land he had a brother name Charles.If their were more I do not know.His Mother and Father were John and Mary.He may have come over with a Mathew Gregor (American name) Both spoke Russian.
                  >
                  > As to my grandmother...she is a mystery and she is extrememly hard to find.Suppossedly she came over after he did.The story is she lost her parents and lived with the Grega family.I have heard her name was MARY.
                  > I have heard that it was something like Petruska. I have also say it spelled Petroskey. This maybe why we cant find her.
                  >
                  > They lived in Pennsylvania.My grandfather was a coal miner.they had 2 children....Michael 8/20/1917 & John 2/14/1918..they were born in Alicia PA.Fayette Co. Some where between 1925 and 1929..she died.I have never found any paper work on her,no marriage licence,obit or anything.No one even had her picture. I feel such a void to not connect with her some way.
                  >
                  > IN THE 1930 census we found him listed as Michael Gregger.He was listed as a widower with his 2 sons.
                  >
                  > In the 1940 census he is listed as Michael Gregar.He is listed with 2nd family.
                  >
                  > His birthday is 10/20/1894 According to SSEC..Died 1/1/1965
                  > Someone said he was from Keretsky.Ukraine..No documentation.
                  > I hope this is clear and hope it is not too long.
                  > thanks Laura .

                • Laura
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2012
                    Thanks to both who answered.I will take this information and go to all the sites.thanks for sharing.
                    Laura

                     Peace, Love and Harmony

                  • Laura
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 31, 2012