Re: [S-R] MEHAL surname

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
      The number 1 piece of information that is vital in genealogy is LOCATION. Without that it is not possible to search records for our ancestors.
      As you are experiencing, knowing a spelling of a surname is number 2.
      I used the Slovak 1995 Census to search the variations of your surname:
      Mehal – no listing.
      Mihal – it had 4 spelling using the dialect marks: 1159 listings in 328 locations.
      Michal – it had 5 spelling using the dialect marks: 524 listing in 137 locations.
      With such a large number of locations being possible for just those two names I think you can appreciate how vial knowing a location is.