Re: [S-R] velke rovne

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
      Carol,
      Sue explained about the nation name changes. She forgot that from 1868 to 1918 it was the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Many Slovaks preferred to be identified with the Austria side.
      Here are the names that Velke Rovne has gone by:
      2601 Veľké Rovné BY/ZI trenč.
      1773 Rovne, Rowne, 1786 Rowne, 1808 Bicse-Rovné, Bičanské Rowné, 1863–1902 Rovne, 1907–1913 Nagyróna, 1920 Rovné, 1927– Veľké Rovné
      Here is an information page on Velke Rovne - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/velkerovne/velke-rovne.html It is a good sized town my Slovak standards – 3900. As with all Slovak towns, it has a website. It said there is an English version. When I tried it it wasn’t working. Under the title OBEC at the bottom is Fotogaleria. Click on it, there are many sub-headings.
      The 2005 Telephone listings had no Fipicik listed in Velke Roven. At near by Zilina they had - Filipcik Filipczik Filipczik Filipcik Filipczik Filipczik Filipcik Filipczik Filipczik Filipcik Filipczik Filipczik Filipcik Filipczik Filipczik Filipcikova Filipczikova Filipczikova Filipcikova Filipczikova Filipczikova.
      The “z” in the name would have been the Hungarian spelling of the name. And the “ova” designates a married woman.
      From the 1995 Census there are listings for 86 Filipcik in 29 location, the top ten are listed.
      Priezvisko FILIPČÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 86×, celkový počet lokalít: 29, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
      ČIERNE KĽAČANY, okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLATÉ MORAVCE) – 15×;
      CHRENOVÁ (obec NITRA), okr. NITRA – 13×;
      ZLATÉ MORAVCE, okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLATÉ MORAVCE) – 8×;
      ZÁKAMENNÉ, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 NÁMESTOVO) – 6×;
      PETRŽALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 6×;
      STARÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 4×;
      ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 2×;
      BOJNICE, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
      CHYZEROVCE (obec ZLATÉ MORAVCE), okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLATÉ MORAVCE) – 2×;
      KRÁĽOVÁ (obec BANSKÁ BYSTRICA), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 2×;

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
        Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.

        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@..." <cwright1943@...> wrote:

        > My grandmother and her children spoke Czech, however, the ship manifest records her ancestry as Hungarian. In addition, on various other papers, her origin is listed as Austria. We have found VElke Rovne as the area from wich she came. Her last name was Filipcik. Can anyone shed any light on this perplexing subject?
        > Carol

      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
          Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.

        • cwright1943@att.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
            Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the spelling of Filipcik and Filipek are sometimes used interchangeable from time to time. I did not have any luck finding my grandmother Paulina, however, I was wondering if the Velke Rovne and Velka Bycta are in the same area? My grandmother and her isiter Maria and brother Adam came over at different times. All I can find are ships' manifests. I will continue to look. If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be appreciated.
            Carol

            > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.

            > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
            > >
            > > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@" <cwright1943@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > My grandmother and her children spoke Czech, however, the ship manifest records her ancestry as Hungarian. In addition, on various other papers, her origin is listed as Austria. We have found VElke Rovne as the area from wich she came. Her last name was Filipcik. Can anyone shed any light on this perplexing subject?
            > > > Carol

          • John
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
              CURRENT MAP
              To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@..." <cwright1943@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the spelling of Filipcik and Filipek are sometimes used interchangeable from time to time. I did not have any luck finding my grandmother Paulina, however, I was wondering if the Velke Rovne and Velka Bycta are in the same area? My grandmother and her isiter Maria and brother Adam came over at different times. All I can find are ships' manifests. I will continue to look. If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be appreciated.
              > Carol

              > > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.
              > >
              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
              > > >
              > > > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443

            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                I haven't found evidence of a Velke Bytca. Velke Rovne (or Rovne) is in the Bytca region - more or less a 'suburb' of Bytca, about two towns away. Everything's very close together, so it's only a few miles.

                Sue

                --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.
                >
                > --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
                > >
                > > [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443
                > >

                > > --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@" <cwright1943@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > My grandmother and her children spoke Czech, however, the ship manifest records her ancestry as Hungarian. In addition, on various other papers, her origin is listed as Austria. We have found VElke Rovne as the area from wich she came. Her last name was Filipcik. Can anyone shed any light on this perplexing subject?
                > > > Carol

              • Sue Martin
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                  I take it back. That JewishGen map was great, and it does indicate that there is a Velka Bytca, within the municipality of Bytca, it appears.

                  Sue

                  Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the spelling of Filipcik and Filipek are sometimes used interchangeable from time to time. I did not have any luck finding my grandmother Paulina, however, I was wondering if the Velke Rovne and Velka Bycta are in the same area? My grandmother and her isiter Maria and brother Adam came over at different times. All I can find are ships' manifests. I will continue to look. If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be appreciated.
                  Carol

                  --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                  > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.
                  >
                  > --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
                  > >
                  > > [https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443%5d https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443
                  > >

                  > > --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@" <cwright1943@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > My grandmother and her children spoke Czech, however, the ship manifest records her ancestry as Hungarian. In addition, on various other papers, her origin is listed as Austria. We have found VElke Rovne as the area from wich she came. Her last name was Filipcik. Can anyone shed any light on this perplexing subject?
                  > > > Carol

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                    Googe Map of the 2 towns:

                    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Velke+Bytca&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________
                    Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the spelling of Filipcik and Filipek are sometimes used interchangeable from time to time. I did not have any luck finding my grandmother Paulina, however, I was wondering if the Velke Rovne and Velka Bycta are in the same area? My grandmother and her isiter Maria and brother Adam came over at different times. All I can find are ships' manifests. I will continue to look. If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be appreciated.
                    Carol

                    > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.

                    > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
                    > >
                    > > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443
                    > >

                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@" <cwright1943@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > My grandmother and her children spoke Czech, however, the ship manifest records her ancestry as Hungarian. In addition, on various other papers, her origin is listed as Austria. We have found VElke Rovne as the area from wich she came. Her last name was Filipcik. Can anyone shed any light on this perplexing subject?
                    > > > Carol

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                      Why bother with ship's manifests? You already know the village of origin and religion. Here's more HARD DATA from the church records referenced earlier.

                      Marriage: 23 April 1871
                      Groom: Georgius Filpsik, RC, Age 28, Rovne 188; father Joannes
                      Bride: Veronica Mitslo, RC age 19, Rovne 293; father Jozsef
                      Page 230/300
                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22632-16191-69?cc=1554443&wc=MMT9-VZP:937463000

                      Birth: 23 Dec 1884
                      Paulina Filipsik, RC, Rovne 188
                      Father and mother as above
                      Page 659/823 of birth records

                      Verona Mitslo DOB April 1851; page 321/823

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cwright1943@..." <cwright1943@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the spelling of Filipcik and Filipek are sometimes used interchangeable from time to time. I did not have any luck finding my grandmother Paulina, however, I was wondering if the Velke Rovne and Velka Bycta are in the same area? My grandmother and her isiter Maria and brother Adam came over at different times. All I can find are ships' manifests. I will continue to look. If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be appreciated.
                      > Carol

                      > > Was GM Veronica and GF Joannes/Jan/John? If so, marriage was 10 September 1900 and is shown on referenced film Marriages (Manželstvá) 1774-1908 page 365/399.
                      > >
                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Luckily, the RC church records for Velke Rovne are available online. See the URL below and happy squinting.
                      > > >
                      > > > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMT9-FLF%3A1855584312%3Fcc%3D1554443

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                        Further researching the Rovne RC birth records, we note the following entries.

                        Page 534/823
                        Born: Maria @ Rovne #184
                        Father: Georgius Filipcsik
                        Mother: Veronica Micslo

                        Page 599/823
                        Born: Adamus @ Rovne #189
                        Same parents as above

                        House number as written in church record. Probably #188 in actuality.

                        Same house but different branch of family:

                        Page 525/823
                        Born: Anna @ Rovne #188
                        Father: Joannes Filipcsik
                        Mother: Anna Czipanik