MEHAL surname

  • jumehal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
      I have been working on the genealogy of my husband's family. I have not been able to locate our last name in any of the sources I have used. People I have consulted have suggested that perhaps the name was changed from "Mihal" or "Michal". I have found a great many people in the US with the name as we know it so I am not sure this is correct. We are planning a trip to Slovakia in the fall and would like to know what area the family migrated from. Is anyone familiar with this surname?
    • n8de@thepoint.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
        I tend to agree with those who say "MIHAL" is the correct spelling in
        the 'old country', as some name spellings have been changed to
        'Americanize' them.

        You should try to determine the immigration info for your family line,
        with 'ship data' giving you the spelling used on documents pertaining
        to the immigration.

        Mihal, Mihalik, Mihalicek ... all forms of that family name based on
        the Archangel MICHAEL. Mihalik is my grandmother's family name.

        Good luck!
        Don Havlicek

        Quoting jumehal <jumehal@...>:

        > I have been working on the genealogy of my husband's family. I have
        > not been able to locate our last name in any of the sources I have
        > used. People I have consulted have suggested that perhaps the name
        > was changed from "Mihal" or "Michal". I have found a great many
        > people in the US with the name as we know it so I am not sure this
        > is correct. We are planning a trip to Slovakia in the fall and
        > would like to know what area the family migrated from. Is anyone
        > familiar with this surname?

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
          Also may be Magyarized as 'Mihaly'

          Peter M.

          On 26 July 2012 22:46, <n8de@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I tend to agree with those who say "MIHAL" is the correct spelling in
          > the 'old country', as some name spellings have been changed to
          > 'Americanize' them.
          >
          > You should try to determine the immigration info for your family line,
          > with 'ship data' giving you the spelling used on documents pertaining
          > to the immigration.
          >
          > Mihal, Mihalik, Mihalicek ... all forms of that family name based on
          > the Archangel MICHAEL. Mihalik is my grandmother's family name.
          >
          > Good luck!
          > Don Havlicek
          >

          > Quoting jumehal <jumehal@...>:
          >
          > > I have been working on the genealogy of my husband's family. I have
          > > not been able to locate our last name in any of the sources I have
          > > used. People I have consulted have suggested that perhaps the name
          > > was changed from "Mihal" or "Michal". I have found a great many
          > > people in the US with the name as we know it so I am not sure this
          > > is correct. We are planning a trip to Slovakia in the fall and
          > > would like to know what area the family migrated from. Is anyone
          > > familiar with this surname?

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
            Are you able to provide ANY family data from around 1900 or earlier? Arrived in US when? Went where?

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jumehal" <jumehal@...> wrote:

            > I have been working on the genealogy of my husband's family. I have not been able to locate our last name in any of the sources I have used. People I have consulted have suggested that perhaps the name was changed from "Mihal" or "Michal". I have found a great many people in the US with the name as we know it so I am not sure this is correct. We are planning a trip to Slovakia in the fall and would like to know what area the family migrated from. Is anyone familiar with this surname?

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2012
              The number 1 piece of information that is vital in genealogy is LOCATION. Without that it is not possible to search records for our ancestors.
              As you are experiencing, knowing a spelling of a surname is number 2.
              I used the Slovak 1995 Census to search the variations of your surname:
              Mehal – no listing.
              Mihal – it had 4 spelling using the dialect marks: 1159 listings in 328 locations.
              Michal – it had 5 spelling using the dialect marks: 524 listing in 137 locations.
              With such a large number of locations being possible for just those two names I think you can appreciate how vial knowing a location is.