Budjac and nobility

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012
      I have been told that the Budjac surname was once associated with nobility. Supposedly, there is even a plaque dedicated to a Budjac at the castle in Trencin. Perhaps the Budjac was a knight in a war. Does anyone know of a resource where I could find out about this? Or, does anyone know anything about this?

      Thank you.
      Millie
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012
        http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=clcweblibrary

        has a list of Hungarian nobility. There is an English preface to it which
        is somewhat instructive.
        BUDJACS with a few aliases is listed.
        Anyone who was enobled was given a letter of nobility. Most of the time
        this gave them the power to vote, be called up for reserves or fight in
        battles, they weren't taxed and so on. Often it didn't improve their
        wealth, but increased their social standing and could marry into other
        noble families.

        Peter M.

        On 23 July 2012 12:00, milliemom4683 <milliemom4683@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have been told that the Budjac surname was once associated with
        > nobility. Supposedly, there is even a plaque dedicated to a Budjac at the
        > castle in Trencin. Perhaps the Budjac was a knight in a war. Does anyone
        > know of a resource where I could find out about this? Or, does anyone know
        > anything about this?
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Millie

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
          Millie,

          Never forget the basic tools we have at hand. In this case a simple Google search for "Trencin castle budjac" came up with a llist of hits. One of the first seemed promising and is a PDF of the village / town of Pruske. One paragraph says:

          SAVČINA
          There are some mentions about old estate written in old documents. Owners were Štefan Budjač Turek and his wife Anna Koyšová from Mikušovce. Their progeny still live in Savčiná. Štefan Budjač´s ancestor, Ondrej Budjač, was a warden and a captain of the Vršatec Castle and he fought side by side of the lord of the Vršatec Castle Imrich in the battle against Turks in 1640.

          Another trick I like is to finish with the standard Google search, then simply click on "Images" to the left side. It is amazing what leads and miscellaneous information you can find through imges that are hidden in the millions of text hits....

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "milliemom4683" <milliemom4683@...> wrote:

          > I have been told that the Budjac surname was once associated with nobility. Supposedly, there is even a plaque dedicated to a Budjac at the castle in Trencin. Perhaps the Budjac was a knight in a war. Does anyone know of a resource where I could find out about this? Or, does anyone know anything about this?
          >
          > Thank you.
          > Millie

        • Bob Mueller
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
            Thank you.  I did several Google searches but. apparently, without the right combination of key words for the search. Great info!