Names : Polacek, Bartos, Marusnik, Havran

  • Miguel GOMES
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hello!
      My name is Nathalie Polacek. I am French. I am a newcomer here. I am looking
      for my Slovak roots somewhere around Nitra in Slovakia. My ancestors moved
      to Vojvodina (now in Serbia) around 1850 in a small village called Padina.
      The names I am looking for in Slovakia are : Polacek, Marusnik, Havran and
      Bartos.
      Can anyone tell me if Havran is a Jewish name ? I know it means crow in
      slovak but the name is also in the Bible (old testament).
      Thank you.
      Nathalie
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Miguel GOMES" <mgomes@c...> wrote:
        > Hello!
        > My name is Nathalie Polacek. I am French. I am a newcomer here. I am
        looking
        > for my Slovak roots somewhere around Nitra in Slovakia. My ancestors
        moved
        > to Vojvodina (now in Serbia) around 1850 in a small village called
        Padina.
        > The names I am looking for in Slovakia are : Polacek, Marusnik,
        Havran and
        > Bartos.
        > Can anyone tell me if Havran is a Jewish name ? I know it means crow
        in
        > slovak but the name is also in the Bible (old testament).
        > Thank you.
        > Nathalie

        Don't know your surnames.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 9 surname Polác^ek
        under Nitra.
        Directory also lists 9 surname Havran under Nitrs.

        In Slovak, havran means raven while vrana means crow.
        Same family but a different bird.

        As for being a possible Jewish surname.
        What does the word havran mean in Hebrew ?

        The surname Havran and Havranek has appeared in recent Slovakia
        censuses.
        Beginning in 1941, the 150,000 Jews in Slovakia were shipped to the
        Nazi death camps located in Poland.
        The 14 % of Slovak Jews that survived the Holocaust immediately
        emigrated to other countries following WWW 2.

        There are probably 1200-1800 surname Bartos bearers just in the U.S.
        Too many to specify where exactly their ancestors's may have emigrated
        from in Upper-Hungary (Slovakia) ?

        Padina is located 35 km NNE of Beograd , Serbia (all that remains
        of former Jugoslavija)
        Bac^ka (C) Bácska (H) was a region in former Yugoslavia.
        In 1872 this Bac^ka region would have been part of Hungary.
        Now located in Serbia, east of the Danube River in former
        Vojvodina.
        After WW I , Serbia was extended into historic Syrmia, Bac^ka,
        and Banat territories and became the autonomous region of
        Vojvodina (C) Vajdaság (H) Wojwodina (G)
        The Vojvodina (Croatian) Vajdaság (Hungarian) Wojwodina (German)
        province was given autonomy between 1849 and 1860 under the Austrian
        Empire.
        There still appears to be a Jewish element living in Vojvodina.
        There is no easy way to research possible surname records from there.

        http://www.vojvodina.com/