can someone explain this ?

  • An American Hare
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
      I'm looking for Syberg I guess, where is that now?

      Nicolaus Leporis de Syberg, cler. colon.

      http://books.google.it/books?lr=&id=sx4KAAAAIAAJ&dq=Leporis&q=Leporis&pgis=1#v=onepage&q=Leporis&f=false

      LLeporis
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
        I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
        gehörenden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund gehörend) ab.
        Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for Syberg I guess, where is that now?
        >
        > Nicolaus Leporis de Syberg, cler. colon.
        >
        > http://books.google.it/books?lr=&id=sx4KAAAAIAAJ&dq=Leporis&q=Leporis&pgis=1#v=onepage&q=Leporis&f=false
        >
        > LLeporis

      • An American Hare
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
          Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.

          LLeporis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

          > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
          > gehörenden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund gehörend) ab.
          > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
          >
          > Ron
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking for Syberg I guess, where is that now?
          > >
          > > Nicolaus Leporis de Syberg, cler. colon.
          > >
          > > http://books.google.it/books?lr=&id=sx4KAAAAIAAJ&dq=Leporis&q=Leporis&pgis=1#v=onepage&q=Leporis&f=false
          > >
          > > LLeporis

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
            I will leave the 'cler' colon;' for soemone with Latin skills to translate. It looks like you have your work cut out for you with a number of Syberg easy to find at
            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg_%28Adelsgeschlecht%29
            including the one you are questioning.
            On the location, I took the page
            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg
            and ran it through translate.google.com and it took "Ruhrhöhe (244,63 m über NN)" and gave "Syberg's the name of a clock level (244.63 m above sea level) in Ardey Mountains" ... changing "Ruhr heights" (the geographic heights above the river) into "clock level" .. (clock is Uhr, here confused with Ruhr).

            , on the Hohensyburg

            , the tower Vincke, the Kaiser Wilhelm I Memorial and other attractions are located.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.
            >
            > LLeporis
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
            > > gehörenden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund gehörend) ab.
            > > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
            > >
            > > Ron
            > >
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm looking for Syberg I guess, where is that now?
            > > >
            > > > Nicolaus Leporis de Syberg, cler. colon.
            > > >
            > > > http://books.google.it/books?lr=&id=sx4KAAAAIAAJ&dq=Leporis&q=Leporis&pgis=1#v=onepage&q=Leporis&f=false
            > > >
            > > > LLeporis

          • An American Hare
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
              Thanks again Ron! I found records of Nicolaus a Franciscan from Prague attending university of Leipzig and it appears that he was employed by the Sybergs but like you said I have my work cut out for me. Nothing new. This family is way too complicated to work out following just church records. The 'cler. colon' will probably shed new light on his role there.

              LLeporis

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

              > I will leave the 'cler' colon;' for soemone with Latin skills to translate. It looks like you have your work cut out for you with a number of Syberg easy to find at
              > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg_%28Adelsgeschlecht%29
              > including the one you are questioning.
              > On the location, I took the page
              > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg
              > and ran it through translate.google.com and it took "Ruhrh�he (244,63 m �ber NN)" and gave "Syberg's the name of a clock level (244.63 m above sea level) in Ardey Mountains" ... changing "Ruhr heights" (the geographic heights above the river) into "clock level" .. (clock is Uhr, here confused with Ruhr).
              >

              > , on the Hohensyburg
              >
              > , the tower Vincke, the Kaiser Wilhelm I Memorial and other attractions are located.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.
              > >
              > > LLeporis
              > >

              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
              > > > geh�renden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund geh�rend) ab.
              > > > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
              > > >
              > > > Ron

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
                LLeporis,

                Cler Colon is an abbreviation of clericus coloniensis. That is, he was a Clerk of Cologne [the city in the Rhineland]. Ron has indicated where Syberg is located.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@...> wrote:

                > Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.
                >
                > LLeporis
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
                > > gehörenden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund gehörend) ab.
                > > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
                > >
                > > Ron
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'm looking for Syberg I guess, where is that now?
                > > >
                > > > Nicolaus Leporis de Syberg, cler. colon.
                > > >
                > > > http://books.google.it/books?lr=&id=sx4KAAAAIAAJ&dq=Leporis&q=Leporis&pgis=1#v=onepage&q=Leporis&f=false
                > > >
                > > > LLeporis

              • An American Hare
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2012
                  Thanks Curt! I was hoping for an answer to this. Nicolaus was a busy guy it seems. lol

                  LLeporis

                  > LLeporis,
                  >
                  > Cler Colon is an abbreviation of clericus coloniensis. That is, he was a Clerk of Cologne [the city in the Rhineland]. Ron has indicated where Syberg is located.
                  >
                  > Curt B.
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.
                  > >
                  > > LLeporis
                  > >

                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
                  > > > geh�renden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund geh�rend) ab.
                  > > > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ron

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2012
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                    > I will leave the 'cler' colon;' for soemone with Latin skills to translate. It looks like you have your work cut out for you with a number of Syberg easy to find at
                    > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg_%28Adelsgeschlecht%29
                    > including the one you are questioning.
                    > On the location, I took the page
                    > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberg
                    > and ran it through translate.google.com and it took "Ruhrh�he (244,63 m �ber NN)" and gave "Syberg's the name of a clock level (244.63 m above sea level) in Ardey Mountains" ... changing "Ruhr heights" (the geographic heights above the river) into "clock level" .. (clock is Uhr, here confused with Ruhr).
                    >

                    > , on the Hohensyburg
                    >
                    > , the tower Vincke, the Kaiser Wilhelm I Memorial and other attractions are located.
                    >
                    > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "An American Hare" <leporis1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Ron that tells me where to look. I'm trying to find out who this Nicolaus was (he was a notary?) and what does 'cler. colon.' mean? It would be nice to actually see his notary on the document they are talking about to compare to other family seals that have been used.
                    > >
                    > > LLeporis
                    > >

                    > > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I am not sure what your question is, but since the book is in German and concerns the lower Rheine I checked it on google.de and the first two entries concern a noble family and the geographic area
                    > > > geh�renden Syberg (heute zu Dortmund geh�rend) ab.
                    > > > Sybers seems to be part of Dortmund today.
                    > > >
                    > > > Ron

                  • Nick Kerpchar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 21, 2012
                      Michael, you provided exactly what I was going to look for right after I replied to Karen's message.
                      Thank you ... you are right on top of it my friend.  Nick