Looking for VRABLE (VRABEL) ,PASIPANKA

  • John/Jo Mulvey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hello! I am a newcomer to the list. My name is Jomil (Vrable) Mulvey. I am
      looking for my Slovak roots particularly in the town of VRABLE in Slovakia
      near Nitra. My Grandfather Pvlo Vrable was born there in 1878(Approx.) hehad
      two sisters that i know of and one brother- all of hwome came to the US. His
      father, family legend has it, was "mayor" and/or "gamekeeper" of the town of
      Vrable, and was known for scaring the local peasants by riding 4 horses tied
      together through the streets of the town. I need help finding out more about
      this colorful character and any relatives who might still live in the area
      as we are planning a trip to slovakia next year . Any help would be much
      appreciated.

      Thank You!
      Jo

      PS. I am also looking for my grandmother's family- last name PASIPANKA
      first name MARY from Budepest. CA 1886
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John/Jo Mulvey" <jm1734@h...> wrote:

        > Hello! I am a newcomer to the list. My name is Jomil (Vrable)
        Mulvey. I am
        > looking for my Slovak roots particularly in the town of VRABLE in
        Slovakia
        > near Nitra. My Grandfather Pvlo Vrable was born there in
        1878(Approx.) hehad
        > two sisters that i know of and one brother- all of hwome came to the
        US. His
        > father, family legend has it, was "mayor" and/or "gamekeeper" of the
        town of
        > Vrable, and was known for scaring the local peasants by riding 4
        horses tied
        > together through the streets of the town. I need help finding out
        more about
        > this colorful character and any relatives who might still live in
        the area
        > as we are planning a trip to slovakia next year . Any help would be
        much
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Thank You!
        > Jo
        >
        > PS. I am also looking for my grandmother's family- last name
        PASIPANKA
        > first name MARY from Budepest. CA 1886

        ahoj

        Don't know your surnames.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 6 surname Vrábel.
        2 surnames are listed under Vráble (Verebély) and 4 are listed under
        Vranov nad Topl'ou (Vrannó) located in eastern Slovakia.

        A gamekeeper was called a 'hájnik' and a mayor was a 'starosta'.

        R.C. parish church records exist (1728-1896) for Vráble
        okres (district) Nitra.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = Marriages
        Zomrelí = Deaths

        In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

        In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
        Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
        Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
        Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

        The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six of the
        seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        The microfilm numbers for Vráble were not listed in the LDS-Mormon FHL
        catalog ?
        This is often the case for records filmed in the Nitra
        region.
        The FHL online catalog is updated as of 1999.

        So call the international desk 800 number at LDS HQ in Salt Lake City
        and ask Sylvie Pysnaková where the R.C. parish records for Vráble
        might be listed ?
        Toll free number 1-800-453-3860, extension 2881.

        Good luck !

        Frank Kurcina

        BTW
        For records from Budapest, Hungary you will need to contact the City
        of Budapest Archives.
        Need to write them in Hungarian.
        Without name of district or a former address, such records are
        difficult to locate.
        Civil registration began in Hungary in 1895.