Waiting for Family Search records to come online.

  • deeprootsaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2012
      Why is everyone waiting for undexed records to come online?
      We can all volunteer to do the work. You do not have to be a member of the church to do indexing.
      It is a good learning experience to index and you can get involved in some of the challenges of how handwritten records are indexed "wrong".
      I have been indexing for years now, including Mexican census records (which, by the way, have been delightful to work with compared to US records--pride in penmanship!)

      Mary

      2a Re: 1869 Census ONLINE ! Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Julie Michutka" jmichutka FamilySearch seems to put things online piecemeal, which (while frustrating sometimes) means that we don't *all* have to wait for *all* the microfilmed material to be transitioned to digital and online. I suspect they're doing the same thing with the census(es).

      To answer the question of whether your county was ever microfilmed, check the census section of Bill Tarkulich's excellent website, www.iabsi.com. Keep in mind that even if your ancestral county's census was microfilmed, it does not guarantee that every village's census is extant and was microfilmed.

      See also the report "Census and census-like material preserved in the archives of Hungary, Slovakia, and Transylvania (Romania), 18-19th centuries." It is available at http://www.demogr mpg.de/papers/ working/wp- 2011-020. pdf. I also blogged about this article here, so that you can get a sense of what is covered in the report before you read it: http://www.saintcro ssupheaval. blogspot. com/2012/ 02/using- hungarian- census-records- in.html .

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@pathbridge. net