Re: Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com

  • Joanne M Belles
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 10, 1999
      Looking for Kovac,Kovach,Snoha. Kovac relatives came from Vesele, Snoha
      relative- no idea, other than Slovakia right now. Settled in Skuylkill
      County, PA. First names include: Joseph, Vendel, Matthew (Matsay?) and
      Alzbeta. Anything familiar? Joanne

    • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 11, 1999
        Am new to the world of Slovak Roots.
        Searching for information on the village of Slatvina and for information on
        relatives of Andrew Gredesky (Andras Gredecky was his name on the immigration
        records). He entered the US in 1902, went to Pennsylvania. His birthplace
        was listed as Slatvina, Austria-Hungary.
        Further seekings--Are the Rusyni usually Byzantine Catholic, or can they
        be Russian Orthodox? Andrew married Mary Rizsak who, I assume was born in
        Ungvara (present day Uzhorod [?]) since her parents were married in Ungvara
        and she attended the Russ. Ortho church in this country. We are also
        searching for info on the Rizsaks. Would like to settle as to whether or not
        they are Slovaks, Rusyni, Ukrainians, or Belorussians.
        Caroline
      • josie krokis
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 1999
          Hello! I have just begun to search for the family origin, roots or any
          relatives with the family name KROKIS. I am just learning how to search
          online and how to explore the internet for information. If anyone has any
          advice I would be happy to receive it. Thank you.

          Josie Krokis

          >From: SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist.com
          >To: jkrokis@...
          >Subject: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
          >Date: 12 Sep 1999 23:59:29 -0000
          >
          >Hello and Welcome to SLOVAK-ROOTS mail list!
          >
          >This list is for genealogy queries on ancestors who came from the former
          >Austria-Hungary, which are generally the modern day countries of Hungary,
          >Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. Queries on locating information in the
          >"old country" as well as locating information where your ancestors settled
          >are welcomed on this list.
          >
          >The rules of this list are simple...
          >
          >1. no flames (rude or abusive postings to other listmembers), do not post
          >off-topic emails (which include chain letters, virus warnings, spam etc.)
          >
          >2. Please do not forward emails from this list to other lists, whether on
          >the onelist server or other servers, and do not forward emails from other
          >servers to this list. Both are considered copyright violations. The only
          >exception of course is if you are the original writer of the email, then
          >you can send it wherever you'd like!
          >
          >3. Please keep queries related to genealogy.
          >
          >HOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY - The help you receive on any list is
          >directly related to how well you communicate what you are looking for.
          >Please see the section on Writing a Good Query on Helpful Hints for
          >Successful Searching at http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm
          >
          >Please take a moment to write a message to the list, introduce yourself and
          >tell us where you are searching.
          >
          >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
          >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
          >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
          >between digest and normal mode.
          >

          >Thanks and Happy Searching!
          >
          >Maura Petzolt
          >SLOVAK-ROOTS listowner
          >sabinov@...

        • mike
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 12, 1999
            My name is Beverly and my husband is Michael. We are looking for any
            information on the name Sekey. Our understanding is that Michael's
            ggrandfather imigrated to the US from somewhere in Austria-Hungarian Empire
            (where, we don't know) and that he was of Slovak decent. We have very
            little info on the name. Michael did find it on a list of common Slovak
            surnames. We are interested in learning about Slovak culture, language,
            foods, traditions, etc. Our desire is to learn all we can about the Sekey
            name, Michael's ancestors, and Slovak heritage in order to teach our
            children these things and give them something to pass on to future
            generations. Michael's ggrandfather's name was Andrew. Andrew immigrated
            to the US sometime prior to 1907. Michael's grandfather's name was John and
            he was born in the US in 1907. Apparently there was an argument between
            Michael's grandfather and his brother that seperated the family to the point
            that Michael's father and relatives don't know anything about the other side
            of the family and have no contact with them. As a result, Michael's dad
            (also named John) has no info on the family history or refuses to share it
            with us. Sorry about dragging on here, just wanted to tell you what little
            we know. Thanks for letting us be part of this list.

            Beverly
          • James A Honeychuck
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 12, 1999
              mike wrote:

              > From: "mike" <sekey@...>
              >
              > My name is Beverly and my husband is Michael. We are looking for any
              > information on the name Sekey. Our understanding is that Michael's
              > ggrandfather imigrated to the US from somewhere in Austria-Hungarian Empire
              > (where, we don't know) and that he was of Slovak decent. We have very
              > little info on the name. Michael did find it on a list of common Slovak
              > surnames. We are interested in learning about Slovak culture, language,
              > foods, traditions, etc. Our desire is to learn all we can about the Sekey
              > name, Michael's ancestors, and Slovak heritage in order to teach our
              > children these things and give them something to pass on to future
              > generations. Michael's ggrandfather's name was Andrew. Andrew immigrated
              > to the US sometime prior to 1907. Michael's grandfather's name was John and
              > he was born in the US in 1907. Apparently there was an argument between
              > Michael's grandfather and his brother that seperated the family to the point
              > that Michael's father and relatives don't know anything about the other side
              > of the family and have no contact with them. As a result, Michael's dad
              > (also named John) has no info on the family history or refuses to share it
              > with us. Sorry about dragging on here, just wanted to tell you what little
              > we know. Thanks for letting us be part of this list.
              >
              > Beverly
              >
              > Welcome to the list.

              Yours is an unfortunate, and all too common, problem. But how about
              the phenomenon in which the later generations get to know and like
              each other, because nobody knows what the original argument was
              about? It happens.

              Even if it doesn't, you should be able to overcome this problem, because
              the collection of Slovak church records on microfilm through the Mormon
              Church is very extensive. If you can just find out the place of origin,
              you may find all the info you need.

              My first suggestion would be to get death certificates and obituaries.
              One of them might have a town name mentioned.

              By the way, the original spelling would have been Sekej, right?

              As for culture, I don't think those discussions are allowed on this
              list, but of course there's more stuff than you could ever read at
              http://www.iarelative.com/slovakia.htm

              Good luck in your search.

              Jim Honeychuck
              Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla
            • Carol DeGraba
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                Dear SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist,
                My name is Carol DeGraba and I am interested in
                researching branches of my mother's side of the family
                who originated in Austria-Hungary in an area which is
                currently in the Slovak Republic. The town in
                currently called Chmel'nica and is located on the
                northern border of the Slovak Republic near Poland, in
                the Carpathian Mts. I am researching the names
                Meslinsky, Alexic, and Lavadsky and many others who
                were family friends and relatives who settled in
                upstate New York around Buffalo and some in Sayre, PA.
                Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to
                share information on geneology with other folks from
                the same region in Europe! It is so difficult, with
                all the boundary changes over the years, to locate
                towns and records and it will be great to get tips
                from others and maybe even help someone else who is
                struggling like myself.
                Thanks,
                Carol DeGraba

                =====
              • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                  Hello Carol and Welcome to the list!

                  It's wonderful that you know where your people came from. If you tell us
                  what you have done in terms of searching records in the US and the
                  Slovak Republic, then we can make some good suggestions on where you can
                  find more info.

                  Have you gotten all the birth, marriage and death certs in the US?
                  Searched the US censuses? Gotten naturalization papers? Seen if the
                  church records for the village in the Slovak Republic are filmed by the
                  LDS church so you can research them through your local FHC? Those are
                  the steps in order that we must all go through to get at that elusive
                  information back in the "old country".

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                  sabinov@...
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 15, 1999
                    Hi Carol. You're lucky. As you may know, the church records from
                    Chmelnica on microfilm go back to about 1790.

                    Good luck in your research.

                    Jim

                    Carol DeGraba wrote:

                    > From: Carol DeGraba <caroldegraba@...>
                    >
                    > Dear SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@onelist,
                    > My name is Carol DeGraba and I am interested in
                    > researching branches of my mother's side of the family
                    > who originated in Austria-Hungary in an area which is
                    > currently in the Slovak Republic. The town in
                    > currently called Chmel'nica and is located on the
                    > northern border of the Slovak Republic near Poland, in
                    > the Carpathian Mts. I am researching the names
                    > Meslinsky, Alexic, and Lavadsky and many others who
                    > were family friends and relatives who settled in
                    > upstate New York around Buffalo and some in Sayre, PA.
                    > Thank you very much for giving us this opportunity to
                    > share information on geneology with other folks from
                    > the same region in Europe! It is so difficult, with
                    > all the boundary changes over the years, to locate
                    > towns and records and it will be great to get tips
                    > from others and maybe even help someone else who is
                    > struggling like myself.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Carol DeGraba

                  • Denise
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                      I have Prokopovits in my family line. Let's compare?