Re: [S-R] Surname: PLICHTA, PLIHTA, PLICZHTA and the -OVA female endings

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5 7:22 AM

      Speaking of the OVA female endings -- does anyone know when this came into existence or where?  My grandmother NEVER used it and neither did any of her female friends -- she was born in what was then Kolbasa (Hungary) and is now Brezina (Slovakia) (just north of the Hungarian border and east of Kosice west of Trebisov) -- but they use it there now.  Gram left Kolbasa in 1921.

      Thanks.

      aye

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5 7:23 AM
        Pliczhta is not pronounciable in Slovak. At least for me, but Iam for the
        western part of Slovakia.

        I would say that this is a mistake, in hungarian there is no "ch". Sometimes
        it cann happen that c and h comes together but they are not pronounced as
        one sound. In older hungarian was used "cz" insted of "c" (like "sz" which
        surrived till now). So i tis possible that somebody wanted to write c h in
        the "correct"hungarian.

        Ladislav

        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        ] On
        Behalf Of John
        Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:18 AM
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

        >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
        are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
        in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
        surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
        message. <<<

        Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

      • Sue Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5 7:27 AM
          -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

          Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

          Sue

          >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
          are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
          in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
          surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
          message. <<<

          Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

        • Frank R Plichta
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5 7:39 AM
            Sue,

            In my 20+ years of research for the PLICHTA surname I have never seen the
            BRICHTA spelling. My impression is that it is not related.

            I have confirmed PLICHTA and PLIHTA and now I am questioning the PLICZHTA
            variation.

            Ladislav has offered an explanation that the “CZ” might be a Hungarian way
            of pronouncing the Slovak “CH”

            Thanks,

            Frank

            _____

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5 7:41 AM
              Sue,

              In my experience in Eastern Slovakia, the –OVA ending is also used for
              unmarried female members of the family not just for married females.

              Frank

              _____

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5 8:14 AM
                When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"

                Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                Kos^icka' Bela'.

                While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.

                Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.

                My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                villages are "joined"?

                Frank

              • Ladislav Rosival
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5 8:45 AM
                  There is a difference between –ová (Slovak) –né (Hungarian).

                  In Slovak and Czech (and also other slavic languages) –ová (or –á) is a general feminin ending for surnames.

                  There was a discussion about –ová on this forum – in Slovak it becam common after 1918.

                  In hungarian –né is used only for married women.

                  Ladislav

                  -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

                  Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

                  Sue

                  >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                  are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                  in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                  surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                  message. <<<

                  Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5 9:29 AM
                    Caye,
                    The ová ending for Czech female surnames is of considerable antiquity. It is not used among other Slavic languages, though some have other conventions to achieve a similar distinction. The use among Slovaks is relatively recent. It was used among Slovaks very, very rarely before the creation of Czecho-Slovakia. You will almost never see it in the Church books of the nineteenth century or legal documents or old newspapers. It was progressively adopted among Slovaks as part of joining Czecho-Slovakia in 1918. It was not codified into Slovak law until 1952. It was removed from the law in 1990. Slovak speakers who came to the U.S. before about 1925 usually did not use it, and often found it irritating. My own gram was appalled by it and refused to use it. Some Slovak women are again having having their names recorded without the ová, but most seem to be keeping it intact.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                    > Speaking of the OVA female endings -- does anyone know when this came into existence or where?  My grandmother NEVER used it and neither did any of her female friends -- she was born in what was then Kolbasa (Hungary) and is now Brezina (Slovakia) (just north of the Hungarian border and east of Kosice west of Trebisov) -- but they use it there now.  Gram left Kolbasa in 1921.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    > aye
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5 9:30 AM
                      Frank,
                      I used that website you want and none of the names were close.
                      http://www.cisarik.com/ Website
                      From the 2005 Telephone directory for Kosicka Bela:
                      Talarovic Talarovicz Tyalarovicz Timura Timura Tyimura Tkac Tkacz Tykacz Tkaci Tkaczi Tykaczi Tkaciova Tkacziova Tykacziova Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tomasiova Tomasziova Tyomasziova Tomaskovic Tomaszkovicz Tyomaszkovicz Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasiova Tormasziova Tyormasziova Toronsky Toronszky Tyoronszky Tothova Tothova Tyothova Tothova Tothova Tyothova Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczykova Turczykova Tyurczzykova
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5 9:51 AM
                        This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the
                        Czech administration took over the matters.
                        >Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a
                        Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to
                        >the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile
                        began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
                        From a question asked on Slovak-Roots by Sue and replied by Vladimir, Message #12053 Fri Apr 15, 2005

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5 10:00 AM
                          Frank,
                          My ancestral village of Hromos is “joined” to the village of Kozelec. What that means is the local government, City Counsel, governs both villages. The city counsel is made up of people elected from both villages.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5 10:10 AM
                            I believe it has something to do with where vital records are recorded. My wife's family (Diskant, Ferenc, Plichcik, Kasper) are all recorded in Kosicka Bela records. Yet they came from Bela and Hamre.

                            Kosicka Hamre was destroyed in the 1970s for a recreational lake. I'm told there was a church at Kosicka Hamre, which was destroyed when the area was flooded for the lake. The births, marriages and deaths, however, have always been recorded in Bela.

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Jul 5, 2012, at 11:14 AM, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                            > When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                            > village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                            > Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"
                            >
                            > Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                            > Kos^icka' Bela'.
                            >
                            > While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                            > find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                            > Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                            > Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                            > where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.
                            >
                            > Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.
                            >
                            > My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                            > to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                            > villages are "joined"?
                            >
                            > Frank

                          • Frank R Plichta
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5 10:43 AM
                              John,

                              My research has shown that Bela' (SK-1715), Be'la (SK-1863), Bella
                              (MAG-1773) and Kassabe'la (MAG-1877) are the older names for what is known
                              today as Kos^icka' Bela' (SK-1906).

                              Frank

                              _____