Re: [S-R] Surname: TOFIACK

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
      are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other message. <<<

      Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        John,

        Thank you that is exactly the site I was thinking of.

        I have bookmarked it this time and will examine all of the alternate
        spellings of surname.

        So far, a quick look does not yield anything.

        I'm still hoping someone can provide an alternate spelling in addition to
        those that Michael Mojher found on Ellis Island.

        Thanks,

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
          Dear Slovak-Roots:

          After examining the surnames at Kosicka Bela from the
          http://www.cisarik.com/ site I have a new question.

          Is the Slovak pronunciation of PLICZHTA the same as that of PLICHTA and
          PLIHTA?

          I am familiar with the latter two spellings: PLICHTA and PLIHTA and I have
          found documented records that they are the same family. This site yielded a
          third spelling of PLICZHTA and I would like to know from a native Slovak
          speaker if the alternate spelling would be in the same family. I have not
          found this variation in the archive records.

          Frank

          "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

          Any Plichta, from any place, at any time in history.

          _____

          >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
          are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
          in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
          surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
          message. <<<

          Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012

            Speaking of the OVA female endings -- does anyone know when this came into existence or where?  My grandmother NEVER used it and neither did any of her female friends -- she was born in what was then Kolbasa (Hungary) and is now Brezina (Slovakia) (just north of the Hungarian border and east of Kosice west of Trebisov) -- but they use it there now.  Gram left Kolbasa in 1921.

            Thanks.

            aye

            ________________________________

            >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
            are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
            in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
            surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
            message. <<<

            Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
              Pliczhta is not pronounciable in Slovak. At least for me, but Iam for the
              western part of Slovakia.

              I would say that this is a mistake, in hungarian there is no "ch". Sometimes
              it cann happen that c and h comes together but they are not pronounced as
              one sound. In older hungarian was used "cz" insted of "c" (like "sz" which
              surrived till now). So i tis possible that somebody wanted to write c h in
              the "correct"hungarian.

              Ladislav

              From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
              ] On
              Behalf Of John
              Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:18 AM
              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

              >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
              are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
              in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
              surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
              message. <<<

              Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

                Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

                Sue

                >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                message. <<<

                Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

              • Frank R Plichta
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                  Sue,

                  In my 20+ years of research for the PLICHTA surname I have never seen the
                  BRICHTA spelling. My impression is that it is not related.

                  I have confirmed PLICHTA and PLIHTA and now I am questioning the PLICZHTA
                  variation.

                  Ladislav has offered an explanation that the “CZ” might be a Hungarian way
                  of pronouncing the Slovak “CH”

                  Thanks,

                  Frank

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                    Sue,

                    In my experience in Eastern Slovakia, the –OVA ending is also used for
                    unmarried female members of the family not just for married females.

                    Frank

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                      When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                      village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                      Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"

                      Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                      Kos^icka' Bela'.

                      While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                      find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                      Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                      Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                      where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.

                      Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.

                      My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                      to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                      villages are "joined"?

                      Frank

                    • Ladislav Rosival
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                        There is a difference between –ová (Slovak) –né (Hungarian).

                        In Slovak and Czech (and also other slavic languages) –ová (or –á) is a general feminin ending for surnames.

                        There was a discussion about –ová on this forum – in Slovak it becam common after 1918.

                        In hungarian –né is used only for married women.

                        Ladislav

                        -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

                        Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

                        Sue

                        >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                        are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                        in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                        surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                        message. <<<

                        Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                          Caye,
                          The ová ending for Czech female surnames is of considerable antiquity. It is not used among other Slavic languages, though some have other conventions to achieve a similar distinction. The use among Slovaks is relatively recent. It was used among Slovaks very, very rarely before the creation of Czecho-Slovakia. You will almost never see it in the Church books of the nineteenth century or legal documents or old newspapers. It was progressively adopted among Slovaks as part of joining Czecho-Slovakia in 1918. It was not codified into Slovak law until 1952. It was removed from the law in 1990. Slovak speakers who came to the U.S. before about 1925 usually did not use it, and often found it irritating. My own gram was appalled by it and refused to use it. Some Slovak women are again having having their names recorded without the ová, but most seem to be keeping it intact.

                          Curt B.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                          > Speaking of the OVA female endings -- does anyone know when this came into existence or where?  My grandmother NEVER used it and neither did any of her female friends -- she was born in what was then Kolbasa (Hungary) and is now Brezina (Slovakia) (just north of the Hungarian border and east of Kosice west of Trebisov) -- but they use it there now.  Gram left Kolbasa in 1921.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >

                          > aye
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                            Frank,
                            I used that website you want and none of the names were close.
                            http://www.cisarik.com/ Website
                            From the 2005 Telephone directory for Kosicka Bela:
                            Talarovic Talarovicz Tyalarovicz Timura Timura Tyimura Tkac Tkacz Tykacz Tkaci Tkaczi Tykaczi Tkaciova Tkacziova Tykacziova Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tomasiova Tomasziova Tyomasziova Tomaskovic Tomaszkovicz Tyomaszkovicz Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasiova Tormasziova Tyormasziova Toronsky Toronszky Tyoronszky Tothova Tothova Tyothova Tothova Tothova Tyothova Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczykova Turczykova Tyurczzykova
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                              This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the
                              Czech administration took over the matters.
                              >Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a
                              Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to
                              >the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile
                              began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
                              From a question asked on Slovak-Roots by Sue and replied by Vladimir, Message #12053 Fri Apr 15, 2005

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                Frank,
                                My ancestral village of Hromos is “joined” to the village of Kozelec. What that means is the local government, City Counsel, governs both villages. The city counsel is made up of people elected from both villages.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                  I believe it has something to do with where vital records are recorded. My wife's family (Diskant, Ferenc, Plichcik, Kasper) are all recorded in Kosicka Bela records. Yet they came from Bela and Hamre.

                                  Kosicka Hamre was destroyed in the 1970s for a recreational lake. I'm told there was a church at Kosicka Hamre, which was destroyed when the area was flooded for the lake. The births, marriages and deaths, however, have always been recorded in Bela.

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Jul 5, 2012, at 11:14 AM, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                                  > When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                                  > village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                                  > Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"
                                  >
                                  > Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                                  > Kos^icka' Bela'.
                                  >
                                  > While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                                  > find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                                  > Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                                  > Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                                  > where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.
                                  >
                                  > Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.
                                  >
                                  > My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                                  > to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                                  > villages are "joined"?
                                  >
                                  > Frank

                                • Frank R Plichta
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                    John,

                                    My research has shown that Bela' (SK-1715), Be'la (SK-1863), Bella
                                    (MAG-1773) and Kassabe'la (MAG-1877) are the older names for what is known
                                    today as Kos^icka' Bela' (SK-1906).

                                    Frank

                                    _____