Re: Bela (was George)

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., sabinov@w... wrote:
      > I don't know what websites you looked at that say Bela was Albert,
      but
      > Bela has no other translation... Bela is Bela.
      >
      > That is what is in all the genealogy name translation books I
      have...
      > and two Bela's in my direct line.
      >
      > This is not to say that they couldn't -change- their name to
      something
      > else later, which my Great Uncle Bela did.... to William actually.

      Perhaps Bela is Béla , or Albert et al, or just plain Bill.
      Depends upon who you read ?

      Hungarian English
      Béla Bela

      => Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records
      Jared H. Suess

      Hungarian English
      Béla Bela, William :)

      => Central European Genealogical Terminology
      Jared H. Suess

      Hungarian English
      Béla, Bela, Albert, Adelbert
      Adalbert

      => Jared H. Suess changed his mind, no more Bill
      http://www.horlacher.org/Hungary/Names.htm

      Hungarian Given Names
      George Topolcsanyi
      http://www.fam.aust.com/topolcsany/names/

      John, Hans oder János und Bill ?
      from Austria, Given names
      http://www.krone.at/family/stammb_tipps_vornamen.html

      Donauschwaben (German) Names, Bill again

      http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/dspersonal-names.txt

      If you use Acrobat Reader you can download a 50 page .pdf file
      of Czechoslovak, German, Hungarian, Polish or Slovak
      equivalent given names at the URL below.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names.html