Surname: TOFIACK

  • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
      I have hit a brick wall.

      On an Ellis Island passenger list for March 12, 1921 there is an Anna
      Plichta, age 27 who leaf behind her nearest relative, her mother Maria
      Tofiack in Kosicka Bela.

      When I search the Telefo'nny Zoznam.sk I do not find any listings for
      TOFIACK in Slovakia. Is it possible that when the passenger list was
      prepared in LaHavre, France that the person filling out the form did not
      understand Anna correctly and wrote a phonetic version of what they heard?
      Anna could not read or write so it is possible that she did not know how to
      spell her maiden name.

      Any suggestions on a better spelling for Tofiack?

      Frank

      "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

      Any Plichta, from any place, at any time in history.

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, VA

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
        Frank,
        When using the proper Ellis Island search if there is no find they give a list of alternatives. Here they are for Tofiack:
        Tufiek 93% Doviack 92% Teviak 92% Tofick 92% Tufioce 92% Dovieck 91% Tovick 91% Tufick 91% Tofic 90% Tudiak 90% Tudiec 90% ?oveck 89% ?udiak 89% Doviak 89% Tofak 89% Tofik 89% Toufick 89% Tovic 89% Towfick 89% Tufic 89% Tuveck 89% ?ediec 88% ?ovac 88% ?ovic 88% ?ufic 88% ?utyak 88% Defiace 88% Dovyak 88% Tedyak 88% Tefic 88%
        Good luck.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
          Frank,
          The way I read the Ship’s Manifest was Anna Plichta 27 had 5 year old daughter Maria with her. Both were “Deported”. Anna admitted that she was in the USA before in 1913-1914. I can see where Kos Bela on the Manifest is Kosicka Bela.
          The interesting part is in the block “Purpose for coming to the US there SPEC is written over the reply. And the “yes” in the next block is “X” out. The SPEC most likely was a notation for a Special Inquiry. Where it seems they found grounds to deport Anna and Maria.
          You can try to discovering how Anna’s maiden name was spelled by to going to the records of her birth and see if there is an Anna with a mother Maria that have a surname that is some how close in spelling or sound to Tofiack. The second place to look is Ellis Island again if Anna and Maria did make it into the USA at a later date. Unfortunately, the latest an Anna Plichta arrived was 1921. It may be she did return under her maiden name.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
            Michael,

            Thanks for your observations and the alternate spellings for TOFIACK.

            Previously, several years ago, I had already completed a study of all 550
            individuals from Kosicka Bela that traveled to America between 1892 and 1924
            and are listed on the Ellis Island Passenger lists. My understanding is
            that 1924 is the last date for Ellis Island passenger lists.

            There were only 10 individuals from Kosicka Bela who are listed on the
            passenger lists between 1921 and 1924. Anna and her daughter Maria are two
            of them. None of the spelling variations are present.

            New question: Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
            are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it
            was in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
            surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
            message.

            Kosicka Bela is a small village with less than 2,000 individuals. This
            happens to be the village of birth of my father and his ancestors as far
            back as the first records in 1750.

            The search for TOFIACk or its possible variables will continue.

            _____

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
              >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
              are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other message. <<<

              Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/
            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                John,

                Thank you that is exactly the site I was thinking of.

                I have bookmarked it this time and will examine all of the alternate
                spellings of surname.

                So far, a quick look does not yield anything.

                I'm still hoping someone can provide an alternate spelling in addition to
                those that Michael Mojher found on Ellis Island.

                Thanks,

                Frank

                _____

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                  Dear Slovak-Roots:

                  After examining the surnames at Kosicka Bela from the
                  http://www.cisarik.com/ site I have a new question.

                  Is the Slovak pronunciation of PLICZHTA the same as that of PLICHTA and
                  PLIHTA?

                  I am familiar with the latter two spellings: PLICHTA and PLIHTA and I have
                  found documented records that they are the same family. This site yielded a
                  third spelling of PLICZHTA and I would like to know from a native Slovak
                  speaker if the alternate spelling would be in the same family. I have not
                  found this variation in the archive records.

                  Frank

                  "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

                  Any Plichta, from any place, at any time in history.

                  _____

                  >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                  are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                  in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                  surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                  message. <<<

                  Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012

                    Speaking of the OVA female endings -- does anyone know when this came into existence or where?  My grandmother NEVER used it and neither did any of her female friends -- she was born in what was then Kolbasa (Hungary) and is now Brezina (Slovakia) (just north of the Hungarian border and east of Kosice west of Trebisov) -- but they use it there now.  Gram left Kolbasa in 1921.

                    Thanks.

                    aye

                    ________________________________

                    >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                    are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                    in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                    surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                    message. <<<

                    Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

                  • Ladislav Rosival
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Pliczhta is not pronounciable in Slovak. At least for me, but Iam for the
                      western part of Slovakia.

                      I would say that this is a mistake, in hungarian there is no "ch". Sometimes
                      it cann happen that c and h comes together but they are not pronounced as
                      one sound. In older hungarian was used "cz" insted of "c" (like "sz" which
                      surrived till now). So i tis possible that somebody wanted to write c h in
                      the "correct"hungarian.

                      Ladislav

                      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                      ] On
                      Behalf Of John
                      Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:18 AM
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                      >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                      are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                      in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                      surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                      message. <<<

                      Go to Cisarik http://www.cisarik.com/

                    • Sue Martin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                        -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

                        Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

                        Sue

                        >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                        are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                        in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                        surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                        message. <<<

                        Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

                      • Frank R Plichta
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                          Sue,

                          In my 20+ years of research for the PLICHTA surname I have never seen the
                          BRICHTA spelling. My impression is that it is not related.

                          I have confirmed PLICHTA and PLIHTA and now I am questioning the PLICZHTA
                          variation.

                          Ladislav has offered an explanation that the “CZ” might be a Hungarian way
                          of pronouncing the Slovak “CH”

                          Thanks,

                          Frank

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                            Sue,

                            In my experience in Eastern Slovakia, the –OVA ending is also used for
                            unmarried female members of the family not just for married females.

                            Frank

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                              When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                              village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                              Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"

                              Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                              Kos^icka' Bela'.

                              While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                              find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                              Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                              Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                              where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.

                              Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.

                              My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                              to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                              villages are "joined"?

                              Frank

                            • Ladislav Rosival
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                There is a difference between –ová (Slovak) –né (Hungarian).

                                In Slovak and Czech (and also other slavic languages) –ová (or –á) is a general feminin ending for surnames.

                                There was a discussion about –ová on this forum – in Slovak it becam common after 1918.

                                In hungarian –né is used only for married women.

                                Ladislav

                                -ova is the Slavic way of saying a married woman's surname. It corresponds to -né in Hungarian.

                                Might the Plichta name be related to Brichta?

                                Sue

                                >>> Previously, I have seen a listing of all of the surnames that
                                are present in a city/village/town. I have lost that link. I thought it was
                                in a census record but I am not sure. I want to see if there are any
                                surnames that are close to the spelling variations you listed in your other
                                message. <<<

                                Go to Cisarik [http://www.cisarik.com/%5d http://www.cisarik.com/

                              • CurtB
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                  Caye,
                                  The ová ending for Czech female surnames is of considerable antiquity. It is not used among other Slavic languages, though some have other conventions to achieve a similar distinction. The use among Slovaks is relatively recent. It was used among Slovaks very, very rarely before the creation of Czecho-Slovakia. You will almost never see it in the Church books of the nineteenth century or legal documents or old newspapers. It was progressively adopted among Slovaks as part of joining Czecho-Slovakia in 1918. It was not codified into Slovak law until 1952. It was removed from the law in 1990. Slovak speakers who came to the U.S. before about 1925 usually did not use it, and often found it irritating. My own gram was appalled by it and refused to use it. Some Slovak women are again having having their names recorded without the ová, but most seem to be keeping it intact.

                                  Curt B.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                    Frank,
                                    I used that website you want and none of the names were close.
                                    http://www.cisarik.com/ Website
                                    From the 2005 Telephone directory for Kosicka Bela:
                                    Talarovic Talarovicz Tyalarovicz Timura Timura Tyimura Tkac Tkacz Tykacz Tkaci Tkaczi Tykaczi Tkaciova Tkacziova Tykacziova Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tlumac Tlumacz Tylumacz Tomasiova Tomasziova Tyomasziova Tomaskovic Tomaszkovicz Tyomaszkovicz Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tomaskovicova Tomaszkoviczova Tyomaszkoviczova Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasi Tormaszi Tyormaszi Tormasiova Tormasziova Tyormasziova Toronsky Toronszky Tyoronszky Tothova Tothova Tyothova Tothova Tothova Tyothova Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczyk Turczyk Tyurczzyk Turczykova Turczykova Tyurczzykova

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                      This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the
                                      Czech administration took over the matters.
                                      >Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a
                                      Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to
                                      >the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile
                                      began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
                                      From a question asked on Slovak-Roots by Sue and replied by Vladimir, Message #12053 Fri Apr 15, 2005

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                        Frank,
                                        My ancestral village of Hromos is “joined” to the village of Kozelec. What that means is the local government, City Counsel, governs both villages. The city counsel is made up of people elected from both villages.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                          I believe it has something to do with where vital records are recorded. My wife's family (Diskant, Ferenc, Plichcik, Kasper) are all recorded in Kosicka Bela records. Yet they came from Bela and Hamre.

                                          Kosicka Hamre was destroyed in the 1970s for a recreational lake. I'm told there was a church at Kosicka Hamre, which was destroyed when the area was flooded for the lake. The births, marriages and deaths, however, have always been recorded in Bela.

                                          Sent from my iPad

                                          On Jul 5, 2012, at 11:14 AM, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                                          > When I examined the web site: http://www.cisarik.com/ I noticed that the
                                          > village of Kos^icka' Bela' "includes the former villages: Ruzin, Maly
                                          > Folkmar, Kosicke Hamre"
                                          >
                                          > Kos^icke' Ha'mre is located approximately 11 km (6.8 miles) Northwest of
                                          > Kos^icka' Bela'.
                                          >
                                          > While I cannot find Maly' Folkmar on my 1:100,000 scale map of Slovakia I do
                                          > find Vel'ky' Folkmar which is located approximately 7 km (4.3 miles)
                                          > Northwest of Kos^icka' Bela'. According to the marker on the map for Maly'
                                          > Folkmar, on the web site, it appears to be in the same general location
                                          > where Vel'ky' Folkmar is located.
                                          >
                                          > Ruz^i'n is located approximately 12 km (7.4 miles) North of Kos^icka' Bela'.
                                          >
                                          > My question: How can villages that are located so far apart be considered
                                          > to be "joined in the village Kosicka Bela"? What does it mean when the
                                          > villages are "joined"?
                                          >
                                          > Frank

                                        • Frank R Plichta
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                            John,

                                            My research has shown that Bela' (SK-1715), Be'la (SK-1863), Bella
                                            (MAG-1773) and Kassabe'la (MAG-1877) are the older names for what is known
                                            today as Kos^icka' Bela' (SK-1906).

                                            Frank

                                            _____