RE: [S-R] Re: Castle Garden, New York

  • Gary Toth
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4 7:22 AM
      Rick, via Curt's great info,

      Being a PA native, I would share that while Mahonoy is possibly correct, I
      have been burned by spelling on manifests. So, just in case Mahonoy hits a
      dead end, there is also Mahoning Township in PA. It's awfully close in
      spelling and sound, so you never know.

      Also, I have some other info that may help you. However, it begins to get
      off topic for the group. Go ahead and email me directly if you're
      interested.

      Thanks, Gary

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 4 9:04 AM
        There is also a Mahanoy City and Mahanoy Township in Schuylkill County, PA.  My Slovak ancestors settled in Mahanoy City and worked the coal mines like so many others.

        Regards,

        Paul G. Sabol

        "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

        ________________________________

      • hmsbob@aol.com

          --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
          , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

          > Curt
          >
          > Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the
          > 2 small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs
          > Majernik, born 1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United
          > States. I do not know when he came to the United States.
          >
          > Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.
          >
          > Have a good week and thanks again.
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto
          :SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

        • Robert Wyland
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7 11:41 AM
            re:  Mayernik - I've also found that NOT ALL ship manifests are on Ancestry.com.  You can join EllisIsland.org for free.  On one of my grandmother's trips to the US she is on the Ellis Island site but not found in ancestry.com.  Just saying.  Good luck in your search.

            I also have a Marie (Mary) Mayernik in my heritage but she didn't have any children.  Originally from Velky Saris, Slovakia and after living in the US for many years, returned to Slovakia to retire with her husband, Anthony Mayernik.

            Wanda

            I am happy to report that Marie Mayernik appears on an earlier page of the
            manifest, and heading to Mahonoy, Pa. I will forward a copy of this page
            also.

            Curt B.

            --- In mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com)
            , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

            > Curt
            >
            > Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the
            > 2 small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs
            > Majernik, born 1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United
            > States. I do not know when he came to the United States.
            >
            > Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.
            >
            > Have a good week and thanks again.
            >
            > Rick
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com_ (mailto

            mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo_
            (mailto:mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo) ! Groups Links

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7 8:43 PM
              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Ko%C5%A1%C4%8D/slovensko/