Re: [S-R] Josif Stucka, Stuczka

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
      Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah]. http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Marchevka/Jakubany/

      ________________________________
      From: "stibila@..." <stibila@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:55 AM
      Subject: [S-R] Josif Stucka, Stuczka

      Josif, Joseph, was born in Jakubany to Joannes Stucka, Stuczka, and Anna Marchevka, Marhefka. Josif was born in 1929 and is my Mother's brother. He moved to Czechoslovakia, somewhere around 1945 but before 1970. His wife was Maria, last name maybe Verka. They had 4 daughters. He may still be alive but we have no way of communicating with relatives in Jakubany. If any one knows anything about Josif, please post to the message board. Someone did send me 2 Stucka phone numbers in Czech Republic and I called them, but they did not speak English.

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
        Vilo, Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah] - From my readings, I'm pretty sure that
        this name is based on the German *Mähren* -> mährische for Moravian. So
        the name Marchevka and Marhefka are related in this way.
        I'm interested in this name as I think it is related to Morav (Slav)
        versions - eg Moravka - Moravko - Morafko - Marafko and so on.
        Do you think this is a possiblity?

        Peter M.

        On 4 July 2012 15:22, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah]. http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Marchevka/Jakubany/
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
          For anyone having trouble reading this or any message with accent marks, go to "View", "Character Encoding" and choose "UTF-8"

          Peter, what readings lead you to believe Marchevka is based on German? I am fluent in German and working on learning Slovak, so I am familiar with how similar some of the words can be in different languages and how easy it is to err in ascribing certain relationships.

          It is handy to check things on www.google.de to get a German perspective, which is often closer to the usual European view, as opposed to our views from the USA. Sometimes there is much more detailed information as well on topics closer to the European heart.

          In this case a quick look at the German Wiki entry yields "Die March (tschechisch und slowakisch Morava, lat. Marus) ist ein linker Nebenfluss der Donau in Mitteleuropa. Sie entwässert etwa drei Viertel des nach ihr benannten Mähren und ist dessen Hauptfluss."

          and that does not even address the other Morava River in Serbia,
          "Die Morava (serbisch Ð'елика Морава/Velika Morava, deutsch auch Große Morava) ist ein rechter Nebenfluss der Donau und Hauptfluss Serbiens."

          Also, why would you take it to the German and not to the older Latin?

          Ron

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
            Peter,

            I was surprised that the "ch" [kh], was legitimate, but the phone book names are spelled that way.  I seldom see the German names which are not "converted" to Slovak.  Names such as Schuster [Shuater] in Slovak S~uster...etc.most often people experience problems with spelling and pronunciation of family names, Converting from Hungarian or German into Slovak.
            I am not a genealogist.  My reason for contribution, is to advise in areas like this.  The other is my experience in visiting friends in all areas of Slovakia, the 28 times I visited since 1971.
            Your contributions are much deeper and I appreciate your comments if I am in error.

            S Panem Bohem,

            Vilko

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
              Ron,
              Your statement, and should not even address the other Morava River in Serbia,
              "Die Morava (serbisch Ð'елика Морава/Velika Morava, deutsch
              auch Große Morava) ist ein rechter Nebenfluss der Donau und Hauptfluss
              Serbiens.".
              The Morava mentioned in Slovakia would be Western Slovak border which emptiest into the Danube which would be translated into Austrian German.  In Eastern Slovakia, the German would come from the early settlements there by Germans.

              I am interested and do not mean to "correct" you.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                Vilo,

                We disagree, but I am happy for the conversation and thoughts to consider.

                Yes, mention of the Morava River in Serbia is relevant simply because it is sometimes confused with the Slovak-Czech Morava, and anyone researching or reading about it should be aware, so they can avoid the confusion themselves. There are even historians who have argued that Greater Moravia was centered in Serbia rather than in Czecho-Slovakia.

                On another point, I do not consider Morava and Mähren and Moravia translations of one another. That would be like saying the Moldau and Vltava are translations, when in reality they are two different names for the same river.

                Related, perhaps is the example Zuzanna and Zsuzsanna in Slovak and Hungarian, differences in orthography of the different languages. We also must consider how the orthography (spelling) has changed over time as writing standards change.

                150 years ago we would have said the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neanderthal Valley. Today we say the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neandertal Valley, a change in orthography, but not in the proper name.

                Ron

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                  Ron,

                  I would like to further argue but on Slovak World because itt is rather off Roots.

                  Awe c'mon!, it's fun an' intrestin'.  Besides, Martin might get in to it..

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Vilo, I changed the topic to 'German Mahren' in case you didn't see it.
                    It's questionable if name etymology is off-topic. But if you do move it to
                    SW then let me know.

                    Peter M.