Josif Stucka, Stuczka

  • stibila@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
      Josif, Joseph, was born in Jakubany to Joannes Stucka, Stuczka, and Anna Marchevka, Marhefka. Josif was born in 1929 and is my Mother's brother. He moved to Czechoslovakia, somewhere around 1945 but before 1970. His wife was Maria, last name maybe Verka. They had 4 daughters. He may still be alive but we have no way of communicating with relatives in Jakubany. If any one knows anything about Josif, please post to the message board. Someone did send me 2 Stucka phone numbers in Czech Republic and I called them, but they did not speak English.
    • John
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
        Stucka may be the most common name in Jakubany, according to Slovak phone listings.

        >>> we have no way of communicating with relatives in Jakubany<<<

        How about MAIL?

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stibila@..." <stibila@...> wrote:

        > Josif, Joseph, was born in Jakubany to Joannes Stucka, Stuczka, and Anna Marchevka, Marhefka. Josif was born in 1929 and is my Mother's brother. He moved to Czechoslovakia, somewhere around 1945 but before 1970. His wife was Maria, last name maybe Verka. They had 4 daughters. He may still be alive but we have no way of communicating with relatives in Jakubany. If any one knows anything about Josif, please post to the message board. Someone did send me 2 Stucka phone numbers in Czech Republic and I called them, but they did not speak English.

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
          Try this: http://www.jakubanyrecords.com/index.html
          This group did the whole town and have their own Yahoo group.

          Peter M.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
            >>> Josif, Joseph, was born in Jakubany to Joannes Stucka, Stuczka, and Anna Marchevka, Marhefka. Josif was born in 1929 and is my Mother's brother. <<<

            The Jabubany 1869 Hungarian Census is available online. It can do wonders for understanding your family history.

            Of the 475 houses listed in the census, I scanned the first 200 and found your surnames at house 40, 42, 117, 131, 166, 167, 181. You can do the other 275 houses at your leisure. Here's the URL: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28478-12478-13?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HPH:n1726268228
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
              Jakubany is near to my ancestral village of Hromos. I mentored a Slovak exchange student whose mother was born in Jakubany. She still has family living there. I can inquire if you need.

              The problem is there are many Stucka living in Jakubany as you will see in the following. One of the easiest means of possibly find is Josif is still alive is to write the Recorder at Jakubany City Hall. English is now the second language of Slovakia, so someone at City Hall could read your e-mail. Just keep the sentence simple. Tell them who you are looking for and the information you have about him. Having the birth year is good.

              jakubany@... E-mail address for the City Hall.

              www.jakubany.sk The Jakubany website. Click on Galéria, then Fotografie obce and Foto obce then pictures of Jakubany will come up.

              Here are the names Jakubany has been know by over its history.
              Jakubany SL/PV spiš. 1953 vyčl. v. o. Javorina.
              1808 Jakubján, Jakabfalva, Jakobsau, Jakobau, Jakubany, Jakubjany, 1863 Jakabfalva, Jakubjan, 1873–1888 Jakubján, 1892–1913 Szepesjakabfalva, 1920–1948 Jakubiany, 1948– Jakubany

              In the Slovak 1995 Census Jakubany had 44 males and 36 females of the Stucka family.
              V obci JAKUBANY (okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najčastejšie tieto priezviská: ŠTUCKA 44×, ŠTUCKOVÁ 36×

              The were no listing in the online telephone directory for a Jozef or Josif Stucka.

              Josif, Joseph, was born in Jakubany to Joannes Stucka, Stuczka, and Anna Marchevka, Marhefka. Josif was born in 1929 and is my Mother's brother. He moved to Czechoslovakia, somewhere around 1945 but before 1970. His wife was Maria, last name maybe Verka. They had 4 daughters. He may still be alive but we have no way of communicating with relatives in Jakubany. If any one knows anything about Josif, please post to the message board. Someone did send me 2 Stucka phone numbers in Czech Republic and I called them, but they did not speak English.

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/stucka/slovensko/

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                  In the 2005 Jakubany telephone directory they had these listings: Stucka Sztuczka Stuczka Stucka Sztuczka Stuczka Stucka Sztuczka Stuczka Stucka Sztuczka Stuczka Stuckova Sztuczkova Stuczkova. Those ending in “ova” are the feminine form of the surname.

                  The variety of spellings are a result of the Magyarization period in the middle 1800’s until WWI. The Hungarian government would only let Hungarian be used in all official business. This required that the Slovaks take on a Hungarian spelling of their surname. One of the obvious features of a Hungarian spelling is the use of “sz” and “cz” where in Slovak there would just be a “s” or “c”. After the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire the Slovaks could revert back to the original spelling of their surname. Some, for what ever reason held on to the Hungarian spelling. Finally, it got to the point where people who are related to one another but used a different surname created separate of completely different family ties. So by the 21st century each spelling now is virtually its own “family” and does not recognize the other spelling as being in the family.

                  The catch for finding your family line is knowing which spelling was continued by Josef/Josif. That is where his marriage can verify what spelling he used. The 1995 Census has no listing for the surname Verka. And another reliable sight doesn’t have it either. Vierka is a version of the given name Veronica

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                    Hungarian, Stuczka [Shtuhts-kah].  Slovak, S~tuc ka[Shtuhts-kah]. Joseph, Latin Josephus [Yohseh-fuhs]. Slovak Josef [Yoh-sehf] and Jozef [Yoh-zef]. Hungarian Jozsef [Yoh-zhehf].

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                      Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah]. http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Marchevka/Jakubany/

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                        Vilo, Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah] - From my readings, I'm pretty sure that
                        this name is based on the German *Mähren* -> mährische for Moravian. So
                        the name Marchevka and Marhefka are related in this way.
                        I'm interested in this name as I think it is related to Morav (Slav)
                        versions - eg Moravka - Moravko - Morafko - Marafko and so on.
                        Do you think this is a possiblity?

                        Peter M.

                        On 4 July 2012 15:22, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Marchevka [Mahrrkhehv-kah]. http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Marchevka/Jakubany/
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Ron
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                          For anyone having trouble reading this or any message with accent marks, go to "View", "Character Encoding" and choose "UTF-8"

                          Peter, what readings lead you to believe Marchevka is based on German? I am fluent in German and working on learning Slovak, so I am familiar with how similar some of the words can be in different languages and how easy it is to err in ascribing certain relationships.

                          It is handy to check things on www.google.de to get a German perspective, which is often closer to the usual European view, as opposed to our views from the USA. Sometimes there is much more detailed information as well on topics closer to the European heart.

                          In this case a quick look at the German Wiki entry yields "Die March (tschechisch und slowakisch Morava, lat. Marus) ist ein linker Nebenfluss der Donau in Mitteleuropa. Sie entwässert etwa drei Viertel des nach ihr benannten Mähren und ist dessen Hauptfluss."

                          and that does not even address the other Morava River in Serbia,
                          "Die Morava (serbisch Ð'елика Морава/Velika Morava, deutsch auch Große Morava) ist ein rechter Nebenfluss der Donau und Hauptfluss Serbiens."

                          Also, why would you take it to the German and not to the older Latin?

                          Ron

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Peter,

                            I was surprised that the "ch" [kh], was legitimate, but the phone book names are spelled that way.  I seldom see the German names which are not "converted" to Slovak.  Names such as Schuster [Shuater] in Slovak S~uster...etc.most often people experience problems with spelling and pronunciation of family names, Converting from Hungarian or German into Slovak.
                            I am not a genealogist.  My reason for contribution, is to advise in areas like this.  The other is my experience in visiting friends in all areas of Slovakia, the 28 times I visited since 1971.
                            Your contributions are much deeper and I appreciate your comments if I am in error.

                            S Panem Bohem,

                            Vilko

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Ron,
                              Your statement, and should not even address the other Morava River in Serbia,
                              "Die Morava (serbisch Ð'елика Морава/Velika Morava, deutsch
                              auch Große Morava) ist ein rechter Nebenfluss der Donau und Hauptfluss
                              Serbiens.".
                              The Morava mentioned in Slovakia would be Western Slovak border which emptiest into the Danube which would be translated into Austrian German.  In Eastern Slovakia, the German would come from the early settlements there by Germans.

                              I am interested and do not mean to "correct" you.

                              Z Bohom,

                              Vilo

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                                Vilo,

                                We disagree, but I am happy for the conversation and thoughts to consider.

                                Yes, mention of the Morava River in Serbia is relevant simply because it is sometimes confused with the Slovak-Czech Morava, and anyone researching or reading about it should be aware, so they can avoid the confusion themselves. There are even historians who have argued that Greater Moravia was centered in Serbia rather than in Czecho-Slovakia.

                                On another point, I do not consider Morava and Mähren and Moravia translations of one another. That would be like saying the Moldau and Vltava are translations, when in reality they are two different names for the same river.

                                Related, perhaps is the example Zuzanna and Zsuzsanna in Slovak and Hungarian, differences in orthography of the different languages. We also must consider how the orthography (spelling) has changed over time as writing standards change.

                                150 years ago we would have said the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neanderthal Valley. Today we say the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neandertal Valley, a change in orthography, but not in the proper name.

                                Ron

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                                  Ron,

                                  I would like to further argue but on Slovak World because itt is rather off Roots.

                                  Awe c'mon!, it's fun an' intrestin'.  Besides, Martin might get in to it..

                                  Z Bohom,

                                  Vilo

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                                    Vilo, I changed the topic to 'German Mahren' in case you didn't see it.
                                    It's questionable if name etymology is off-topic. But if you do move it to
                                    SW then let me know.

                                    Peter M.