Georgsdorf RE: [S-R] A bit OT - not Slovak, but still genealogy

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
      Debbie,

      I think you are miss-spelling the name. In German, "George" would be
      "Georg". Check out the following link to "Georgsdorf".

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgsdorf

      It is located in Northwest Germany in the German State of Lower Saxony on
      the border with The Netherlands. Their web page is at the following URL:
      http://www.georgsdorf.info/homepage

      Good Luck,

      Frank

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      Any Plichta from any place at any time in history.

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
        Wow, how did you guys find all these?! I didn't even come close! I took the name straight from the obituary and figured it might be spelled wrong, but the closest thing I found in a search was
        "Georgsmarienhütte". You all did much better than I did!

        Thank you! I will look into all of these, although unfortunately at this time I have no way to pinpoint the right place. This person is a tough one!

        Thanks,
        Debbie

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

        > Debbie,
        >

        > I think you are miss-spelling the name. In German, "George" would be
        > "Georg". Check out the following link to "Georgsdorf".
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgsdorf
        >

        > It is located in Northwest Germany in the German State of Lower Saxony on
        > the border with The Netherlands. Their web page is at the following URL:
        > http://www.georgsdorf.info/homepage
        >

        > Good Luck,
        >
        > Frank
        >
        > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
        >
        > Any Plichta from any place at any time in history.
        >

        > _____

      • christine mackara
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
          Debbie,

          There are many more placenames in, for instance, the lands east of the Neisse/Oder border, that an immigrant would also consider to be German, but are now in Poland. It would help if you knew the region or province.
          There are three "Georgendorf" in the former Province of Schlesien

          Christine

          > Does anyone here know of either a good German genealogy site, or a site like
          > cisarik's that lists German cities, with old names and new? I just got a
          > lead on a German line pertaining to the city of "Georgedorf" which I can't
          > find anywhere, and don't see town or city that seems to correspond either,
          > at least as far as I can tell. I belong to a German genealogy group here on
          > yahoo but there have been a total of THREE posts since the beginning of the
          > year - not even any answers to them, just the three original posts!
          >
          > Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Sorry to go off-topic but I don't
          > know where else to ask.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Debbie

        • deeellessbee
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
            If it helps narrow the region (and it may not because who knows who is right?) I originally heard this person was born in Dusseldorf.

            I finally found her obituary last night, and saw that it said Georgedorf was her birthplace. I had heard Dusseldorf from her grandson, and Georgedorf was most likely suppplied by a family member for the obit. Her last name (maiden) was different in the obituary from what I was told also, if I go by her brother's last name in the obit. (Different, but close enough phonetically to most likely be a variation of it; she was not married previously as far as I know. I suppose it's possible the brother is a half-brother with a different name, but it's very close - so close I think its the same name - Binias compared to Bemis/Beamus).

            But, all that being said, the grandson who told me my information, being a young teen at the time of his grandmother's death, certainly heard any info he has from others in the family, so I'm not convinced that any of it is right, after being passed around and down so much.

            Even though I have German roots, I have not ventured there because quite frankly I'm a bit intimidated. The Georgedorf town I asked about is actually for my daughter's boyfriend's family history. I really know nothing else - as a matter of fact, I have found and told him and his family more about their ancestors than they knew. Gee, that didn't come out right! I'm not bragging, I just meant to show that I am working with very little information because the kids just don't know, and I have been able to find connections and information for them (lots of it with help from everyone here, for his Slovak roots!)

            Debbie

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine mackara" <christine1931@...> wrote:

            > Debbie,
            >
            > There are many more placenames in, for instance, the lands east of the Neisse/Oder border, that an immigrant would also consider to be German, but are now in Poland. It would help if you knew the region or province.
            > There are three "Georgendorf" in the former Province of Schlesien
            >
            > Christine
            >

            > > Does anyone here know of either a good German genealogy site, or a site like
            > > cisarik's that lists German cities, with old names and new? I just got a
            > > lead on a German line pertaining to the city of "Georgedorf" which I can't
            > > find anywhere, and don't see town or city that seems to correspond either,
            > > at least as far as I can tell. I belong to a German genealogy group here on
            > > yahoo but there have been a total of THREE posts since the beginning of the
            > > year - not even any answers to them, just the three original posts!
            > >
            > > Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Sorry to go off-topic but I don't
            > > know where else to ask.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Debbie

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
              Binias sounds like a name from the Polish Commonwealth which included
              Latvia and Lithuania - the '~as' ending is the giveaway. Considering that
              some of the Georg~dorf towns are currently in the northern parts, I'd go
              with that as an ethnic origin.
              FYI: There was also a huge interaction between the Commonwealth and the
              Royal Kingdom of Hungary (some of present day Slovakia) as King Sobieski
              and the Duke of Lorraine expelled the Turks from these lands. Also both
              Hungary and Poland lay claim to the Sarmatians (Jagyes). The Poles consider
              themselves their descendants and the Hungarians assimilated them.

              Peter M.