RE: [S-R] Castle Garden, New York

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
      Rick,

      The Castle Garden passenger lists are online. Just search for "Castle
      Garden Passenger Lists".

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
        Here's your reference. Age differs. No new info.

        http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_detail.php?p_id=11044292

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I have a court affidavit stating the my grandfather, Michael Majernik
        > emigrated to the United States, sailing from Bremen, Germany, in or about
        > 1897 and landed at Castle Garden, New York. Michael was born 19 November
        > 1890 in Zamutov, Zemplyn, Austria-Hungary. It is possible to obtain a
        > passenger list?
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        >
        > Rick Mayernik

      • Nancy Gibbs
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
          www.castlegarden.org   Searched just the last name and found a Michaly that was 4 years old--there are others also.

          >________________________________

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
            Rick,
            Yes, he appears in the manifest of the ship Trave [North German Lloyd line] arriving New York from Bremen on 20 May 1897 along with his brother Janos Majernik aged two years. It does not indicate with whom they arrived on the immediate page. Just the two children are listed together. You may have to search the entire manifest for other family or data.

            Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > I have a court affidavit stating the my grandfather, Michael Majernik
            > emigrated to the United States, sailing from Bremen, Germany, in or about
            > 1897 and landed at Castle Garden, New York. Michael was born 19 November
            > 1890 in Zamutov, Zemplyn, Austria-Hungary. It is possible to obtain a
            > passenger list?
            >
            > Thank you for your help.
            >
            > Rick Mayernik

          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
              Can I assume that nobody is giving a link to the actual manifest page because there seems to be something totally jumbled in this particular record? I'm using the Morse gold search, but can not view the supposed page showing the boys. It opens an incorrect manifest image.

              TOM

              > Rick,
              > Yes, he appears in the manifest of the ship Trave [North German Lloyd line] arriving New York from Bremen on 20 May 1897 along with his brother Janos Majernik aged two years. It does not indicate with whom they arrived on the immediate page. Just the two children are listed together. You may have to search the entire manifest for other family or data.
              >
              > Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello
              > >
              > > I have a court affidavit stating the my grandfather, Michael Majernik
              > > emigrated to the United States, sailing from Bremen, Germany, in or about
              > > 1897 and landed at Castle Garden, New York. Michael was born 19 November
              > > 1890 in Zamutov, Zemplyn, Austria-Hungary. It is possible to obtain a
              > > passenger list?
              > >
              > > Thank you for your help.
              > >
              > > Rick Mayernik

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
                Tom,
                I saw the manifest on ancestry.com. No one else has the manifest itself available for viewing. You need a paid subscription to see it. I can send an e-mail copy of the page to anyone who wants to see it, but posting a link is not possible for a paid subscription service.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                > Can I assume that nobody is giving a link to the actual manifest page because there seems to be something totally jumbled in this particular record? I'm using the Morse gold search, but can not view the supposed page showing the boys. It opens an incorrect manifest image.
                >
                > TOM
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rick,
                > > Yes, he appears in the manifest of the ship Trave [North German Lloyd line] arriving New York from Bremen on 20 May 1897 along with his brother Janos Majernik aged two years. It does not indicate with whom they arrived on the immediate page. Just the two children are listed together. You may have to search the entire manifest for other family or data.
                > >
                > > Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello
                > > >
                > > > I have a court affidavit stating the my grandfather, Michael Majernik
                > > > emigrated to the United States, sailing from Bremen, Germany, in or about
                > > > 1897 and landed at Castle Garden, New York. Michael was born 19 November
                > > > 1890 in Zamutov, Zemplyn, Austria-Hungary. It is possible to obtain a
                > > > passenger list?
                > > >
                > > > Thank you for your help.
                > > >
                > > > Rick Mayernik

              • t.salony
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                  Curt,

                  Thanks. I do see the image on ancestry now. I guess out of habit, I always use the Morse gold search.
                  http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
                  Searching with only the surname "Majernik" produces a list of 135, and the 1897 arrival of both Janos(4) and Michaly(4) are on this list.
                  To view this info, you must join the Ellis Island site, but unless there has been a change, there is no cost & and no credit card is needed.
                  When I go to view "Passenger Record" for either of them, the info that is shown is correct. BUT, when I go to view "Scanned Manifest" the incorrect image is shown, that is a different page of the Trave's manifest but the same 1897, May 20 arrival.
                  So, when and if it is working properly, Rick should be able to see the actual passenger manifest for free. The passengers are listing with a "Ticket No.", so I'm guessing maybe there will be an adult somewhere on the manifests listed with the same number (201) as the boys?

                  TOM

                  > Tom,
                  > I saw the manifest on ancestry.com. No one else has the manifest itself available for viewing. You need a paid subscription to see it. I can send an e-mail copy of the page to anyone who wants to see it, but posting a link is not possible for a paid subscription service.
                  >
                  > Curt B.
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Can I assume that nobody is giving a link to the actual manifest page because there seems to be something totally jumbled in this particular record? I'm using the Morse gold search, but can not view the supposed page showing the boys. It opens an incorrect manifest image.
                  > >
                  > > TOM
                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Rick,
                  > > > Yes, he appears in the manifest of the ship Trave [North German Lloyd line] arriving New York from Bremen on 20 May 1897 along with his brother Janos Majernik aged two years. It does not indicate with whom they arrived on the immediate page. Just the two children are listed together. You may have to search the entire manifest for other family or data.

                • Rick Mayernik
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                    Curt..

                    Thanks for keeping this message sequence going. At this time.........I am
                    not a paid user of ancestry. Can you please send me an email copy of the
                    page with my grandfather and his brother? Also, I'd like to search the list
                    for my great grandmother........is this possible?

                    Thanks so much,

                    Rick

                    _____

                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@> wrote:

                    > > > Hello
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a court affidavit stating the my grandfather, Michael Majernik
                    > > > emigrated to the United States, sailing from Bremen, Germany, in or
                    about
                    > > > 1897 and landed at Castle Garden, New York. Michael was born 19
                    November
                    > > > 1890 in Zamutov, Zemplyn, Austria-Hungary. It is possible to obtain a
                    > > > passenger list?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you for your help.
                    > > >
                    > > > Rick Mayernik

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                      Rick,
                      I have sent the page to your private mail address. Let me know if you don't recieve it. The entire manifest is many pages. How strange that the boys listed as aged 4 and 2 are not immediately accompanied by an adult, but maybe the person is elsewhere within the manifest. I cannot send the whole manifest. You will have to join ancestry for at least a short period for you to do detailed searching. I am willing to do one search for you but give me the possible name or names of the mother.

                    • Rick Mayernik
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                        Curt

                        Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the 2
                        small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs Majernik, born
                        1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United States. I do not know
                        when he came to the United States.

                        Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.

                        Have a good week and thanks again.

                        Rick

                        _____

                        , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                        > Curt..
                        >
                        > Thanks for keeping this message sequence going. At this time.........I am
                        > not a paid user of ancestry. Can you please send me an email copy of the
                        > page with my grandfather and his brother? Also, I'd like to search the
                        list
                        > for my great grandmother........is this possible?
                        >
                        > Thanks so much,
                        >
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        ] On
                        > Behalf Of CurtB
                        > Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:50 PM
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: [S-R] Re: Castle Garden, New York
                        >

                        > Tom,
                        > I saw the manifest on ancestry.com. No one else has the manifest itself
                        > available for viewing. You need a paid subscription to see it. I can send
                        an
                        > e-mail copy of the page to anyone who wants to see it, but posting a link
                        is
                        > not possible for a paid subscription service.
                        >
                        > Curt B.
                        >
                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > , "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Can I assume that nobody is giving a link to the actual manifest page
                        > because there seems to be something totally jumbled in this particular
                        > record? I'm using the Morse gold search, but can not view the supposed
                        page
                        > showing the boys. It opens an incorrect manifest image.
                        > >
                        > > TOM
                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Rick,
                        > > > Yes, he appears in the manifest of the ship Trave [North German Lloyd
                        > line] arriving New York from Bremen on 20 May 1897 along with his brother
                        > Janos Majernik aged two years. It does not indicate with whom they arrived
                        > on the immediate page. Just the two children are listed together. You may
                        > have to search the entire manifest for other family or data.
                        > > >
                        > > > Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Majernik
                        > about
                        > November

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                          Rick,
                          I am happy to report that Marie Mayernik appears on an earlier page of the manifest, and heading to Mahonoy, Pa. I will forward a copy of this page also.

                        • Gary Toth
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Rick, via Curt's great info,

                            Being a PA native, I would share that while Mahonoy is possibly correct, I
                            have been burned by spelling on manifests. So, just in case Mahonoy hits a
                            dead end, there is also Mahoning Township in PA. It's awfully close in
                            spelling and sound, so you never know.

                            Also, I have some other info that may help you. However, it begins to get
                            off topic for the group. Go ahead and email me directly if you're
                            interested.

                            Thanks, Gary

                            I am happy to report that Marie Mayernik appears on an earlier page of the
                            manifest, and heading to Mahonoy, Pa. I will forward a copy of this page
                            also.

                            Curt B.

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                            > Curt
                            >
                            > Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the
                            > 2 small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs
                            > Majernik, born 1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United
                            > States. I do not know when he came to the United States.
                            >
                            > Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.
                            >
                            > Have a good week and thanks again.
                            >
                            > Rick
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Paul Sabol
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 4, 2012
                              There is also a Mahanoy City and Mahanoy Township in Schuylkill County, PA.  My Slovak ancestors settled in Mahanoy City and worked the coal mines like so many others.

                              Regards,

                              Paul G. Sabol

                              "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

                              ________________________________

                            • hmsbob@aol.com

                                --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                                , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                                > Curt
                                >
                                > Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the
                                > 2 small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs
                                > Majernik, born 1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United
                                > States. I do not know when he came to the United States.
                                >
                                > Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.
                                >
                                > Have a good week and thanks again.
                                >
                                > Rick
                                >

                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto
                                :SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                              • Robert Wyland
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                                  re:  Mayernik - I've also found that NOT ALL ship manifests are on Ancestry.com.  You can join EllisIsland.org for free.  On one of my grandmother's trips to the US she is on the Ellis Island site but not found in ancestry.com.  Just saying.  Good luck in your search.

                                  I also have a Marie (Mary) Mayernik in my heritage but she didn't have any children.  Originally from Velky Saris, Slovakia and after living in the US for many years, returned to Slovakia to retire with her husband, Anthony Mayernik.

                                  Wanda

                                  I am happy to report that Marie Mayernik appears on an earlier page of the
                                  manifest, and heading to Mahonoy, Pa. I will forward a copy of this page
                                  also.

                                  Curt B.

                                  --- In mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com)
                                  , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                                  > Curt
                                  >
                                  > Thanks so much for helping me discover my history. The adult with the
                                  > 2 small boys would have been their mother, Maria (Mary) Koscs
                                  > Majernik, born 1869. The husband, Josef was already in the United
                                  > States. I do not know when he came to the United States.
                                  >
                                  > Yes it is odd that no parent is directly attached to the children.
                                  >
                                  > Have a good week and thanks again.
                                  >
                                  > Rick
                                  >

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > From: mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com_ (mailto

                                  mailto:_SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo_
                                  (mailto:mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo) ! Groups Links

                                • William C. Wormuth
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                                    http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Ko%C5%A1%C4%8D/slovensko/