Re: [S-R] Re: Baptism Record translation help

  • Paul Sabol
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
      Hi Elaine.  How long did you have to wait to hear back from St. Nicholas of Myra?  I dropped them a letter several months ago to see if my g-grandparents (also both from R. Nova Ves) attended that church and/or may be buried in their cemetery, but I haven't heard anything.

      Regards,

      Paul G. Sabol

      "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
        Clearly 1870.

        > Annie,
        >
        > I read 1879, Born January 6, Baptized January 9.  Father, Johannes Kmetz, farmer, Greek Catholic, Mother Maria Petruska, Greek Catholic, ?? of her
        >
        > Everything is clear but I cannot decipher the word  cus??
        >
        > Z Bohom,
        >
        > Vilo
        >

        > ________________________________

      • AnnieW
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
          Thank you Elaine and everyone else!
          Yes I have devoured the newspapers on Fulton History many times, thank the genealogy gods for that website : )
          I am hoping to go to Holy Trinity next time we go out to Yonkers to visit relatives, I know the family were all very involved with church and all had their funerals there, I hope I can found out something! Still missing there marriage record and it is driving me nuts!

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <elainep141@...> wrote:

          > Hi Annie,
          > I know how you feel! Like winning the lottery !
          > Holy Trinity is Roman Catholic. St Nicholas of Myra on ash street in Yonkers is Greek Catholic. It was built a few years after Holy Trinity. Church is still there but parish is now mainly in white plains. Priest was very helpful as their church records provided more info than Holy Trinitys and I was able to locate the towns my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather were from from their records.
          >
          > My Mom's mothers side (beganyi, brezcko) were from Ruska Nova Ves.
          > One suggestion, if you need more info about their life in yonkers try a search on the site old Fulton postcards. I found some "lost" info in the digital images of the herald statesman, the local Yonkers paper until about the 1990s.
          >
          > Elaine M

        • John H. Beach
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
            This Trinity Church in Yonkers that is Sovak and is really named _Most_
            Holy Trinity RC. There are 3 Trinity churches within a block of each
            other, the other two are Russian Orthodox Trinity and Lutheran Trinity.
            My wife's grandfather, Michael Begany(i), was an original member of the
            Most Holy Trinity and lived across from it on FranklinSt. now Trinity
            Pl. He was from Niz(ná Mys(l(a. My wife seems to remember the Kmetz
            name there. I went to high school in Yonkers with an Al Kmetz.

            --
            Kind Regards,

            John H. Beach
            Yonkers, NY.

            john_h_beach@... Note: the "_" before and after the initial "h" is an underscore character, not a dash or space.

          • AnnieW
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
              Thanks John, yes I mean the Most Holy Trinity Roman Catholic church is where they went. I think we may have sent a few emails back in forth awhile back, our Kmetz family one of the daughters married a Gonda and the other a Cleary and Gazelle my husbands grandmother married John Garan Jr who went to the Russian Orthodox Holy Trinity. Anyway I think that was you...

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Beach" <John_H_Beach@...> wrote:

              > This Trinity Church in Yonkers that is Sovak and is really named _Most_
              > Holy Trinity RC. There are 3 Trinity churches within a block of each
              > other, the other two are Russian Orthodox Trinity and Lutheran Trinity.
              > My wife's grandfather, Michael Begany(i), was an original member of the
              > Most Holy Trinity and lived across from it on FranklinSt. now Trinity
              > Pl. He was from Niz(ná Mys(l(a. My wife seems to remember the Kmetz
              > name there. I went to high school in Yonkers with an Al Kmetz.
              >
              > --
              > Kind Regards,
              >
              > John H. Beach
              > Yonkers, NY.
              >
              > john_h_beach@... Note: the "_" before and after the initial "h" is an underscore character, not a dash or space.

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                Annie,

                Don't know if you have visited this site.  You can translate by clicking on the British flag.  Pictures of the Church are SUPER!  Roman Catholics go to church in Presov.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                  Vilo,
                  Where’s the link?
                  I’m interested because my cousin, Jozef Dronzek, a Roman Catholic priest is stationed at St. Nicolas in Presov.
                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                    http://www.ruskanovaves.sk/

                    Michal,

                    Quit Laugh'n at me!  "Kde sem, ti budes~!"  (Or, where I am you will be). :o)

                    I am sorry I forgot to add the site.

                    S Panem Bohem,

                    Vilko/SPROSTI