Re: [S-R] Baptism Record translation help

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
      Dear Annie,
      You may want to go back and check birth records starting in December 1869 through November.  That would give enough time for his parents to conceive another child if the first "Joannes" died shortly after his birth in January 1870, I have found they just rename the next child the same name.  It also has the Latin term for "farmer" Colonus.  See below:
      : a free-born serf in the later Roman Empire who could sometimes own property but who was bound to the land and obliged to pay a rent usually in produce
      Origin of COLONUS
      Latin, literally, farmer
      First Known Use: 1857

      My great-grandmother was a Kmetz, however, she is from Velejte, now Vel'aty Slovakia, they were Roman Catholic.
      Jane

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
        Hi Annie,
        I know how you feel! Like winning the lottery !
        Holy Trinity is Roman Catholic. St Nicholas of Myra on ash street in Yonkers is Greek Catholic. It was built a few years after Holy Trinity. Church is still there but parish is now mainly in white plains. Priest was very helpful as their church records provided more info than Holy Trinitys and I was able to locate the towns my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather were from from their records.

        My Mom's mothers side (beganyi, brezcko) were from Ruska Nova Ves.
        One suggestion, if you need more info about their life in yonkers try a search on the site old Fulton postcards. I found some "lost" info in the digital images of the herald statesman, the local Yonkers paper until about the 1990s.

        Elaine M
      • Paul Sabol
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
          Hi Elaine.  How long did you have to wait to hear back from St. Nicholas of Myra?  I dropped them a letter several months ago to see if my g-grandparents (also both from R. Nova Ves) attended that church and/or may be buried in their cemetery, but I haven't heard anything.

          Regards,

          Paul G. Sabol

          "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
            Clearly 1870.

            > Annie,
            >
            > I read 1879, Born January 6, Baptized January 9.  Father, Johannes Kmetz, farmer, Greek Catholic, Mother Maria Petruska, Greek Catholic, ?? of her
            >
            > Everything is clear but I cannot decipher the word  cus??
            >
            > Z Bohom,
            >
            > Vilo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • AnnieW
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
              Thank you Elaine and everyone else!
              Yes I have devoured the newspapers on Fulton History many times, thank the genealogy gods for that website : )
              I am hoping to go to Holy Trinity next time we go out to Yonkers to visit relatives, I know the family were all very involved with church and all had their funerals there, I hope I can found out something! Still missing there marriage record and it is driving me nuts!

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <elainep141@...> wrote:

              > Hi Annie,
              > I know how you feel! Like winning the lottery !
              > Holy Trinity is Roman Catholic. St Nicholas of Myra on ash street in Yonkers is Greek Catholic. It was built a few years after Holy Trinity. Church is still there but parish is now mainly in white plains. Priest was very helpful as their church records provided more info than Holy Trinitys and I was able to locate the towns my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather were from from their records.
              >
              > My Mom's mothers side (beganyi, brezcko) were from Ruska Nova Ves.
              > One suggestion, if you need more info about their life in yonkers try a search on the site old Fulton postcards. I found some "lost" info in the digital images of the herald statesman, the local Yonkers paper until about the 1990s.
              >
              > Elaine M

            • John H. Beach
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                This Trinity Church in Yonkers that is Sovak and is really named _Most_
                Holy Trinity RC. There are 3 Trinity churches within a block of each
                other, the other two are Russian Orthodox Trinity and Lutheran Trinity.
                My wife's grandfather, Michael Begany(i), was an original member of the
                Most Holy Trinity and lived across from it on FranklinSt. now Trinity
                Pl. He was from Niz(ná Mys(l(a. My wife seems to remember the Kmetz
                name there. I went to high school in Yonkers with an Al Kmetz.

                --
                Kind Regards,

                John H. Beach
                Yonkers, NY.

                john_h_beach@... Note: the "_" before and after the initial "h" is an underscore character, not a dash or space.

              • AnnieW
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                  Thanks John, yes I mean the Most Holy Trinity Roman Catholic church is where they went. I think we may have sent a few emails back in forth awhile back, our Kmetz family one of the daughters married a Gonda and the other a Cleary and Gazelle my husbands grandmother married John Garan Jr who went to the Russian Orthodox Holy Trinity. Anyway I think that was you...

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Beach" <John_H_Beach@...> wrote:

                  > This Trinity Church in Yonkers that is Sovak and is really named _Most_
                  > Holy Trinity RC. There are 3 Trinity churches within a block of each
                  > other, the other two are Russian Orthodox Trinity and Lutheran Trinity.
                  > My wife's grandfather, Michael Begany(i), was an original member of the
                  > Most Holy Trinity and lived across from it on FranklinSt. now Trinity
                  > Pl. He was from Niz(ná Mys(l(a. My wife seems to remember the Kmetz
                  > name there. I went to high school in Yonkers with an Al Kmetz.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Kind Regards,
                  >
                  > John H. Beach
                  > Yonkers, NY.
                  >
                  > john_h_beach@... Note: the "_" before and after the initial "h" is an underscore character, not a dash or space.

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                    Annie,

                    Don't know if you have visited this site.  You can translate by clicking on the British flag.  Pictures of the Church are SUPER!  Roman Catholics go to church in Presov.

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                      Vilo,
                      Where’s the link?
                      I’m interested because my cousin, Jozef Dronzek, a Roman Catholic priest is stationed at St. Nicolas in Presov.
                      Michael

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                        http://www.ruskanovaves.sk/

                        Michal,

                        Quit Laugh'n at me!  "Kde sem, ti budes~!"  (Or, where I am you will be). :o)

                        I am sorry I forgot to add the site.

                        S Panem Bohem,

                        Vilko/SPROSTI