Baptism Record translation help

  • AnnieW
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
      Hello, so excited I found this! COuld Someone please help determine exactly what the record states, I can make out most of it. Its the record for Joannes Kmetz record number 2 1870.

      I received his death record today, the fathers name was said to be John and mother Mary Petruska, however it said his birthday was Nov 18 1870 this says Jan 6 1870 (I know these dates are wrong many times) but the only thing is they attended the Holy Trinity Catholic Church in yonkers and Im pretty sure that is Roman Catholic, this seems to say Greek Catholic. Also the death record said JOhn Kmetz aka Kemc. THis birth record is going with the Kmetz, I wonder where the Kmec is coming from... I just want to be very sure it is him, the death record didnt specify he was from Ruska Nova Ves but his wife Elizabeth Evanko or Iwanko death record did however say Nova Ves.

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12307-3083-67?cc=1554443
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
        Annie,

        I read 1879, Born January 6, Baptized January 9.  Father, Johannes Kmetz, farmer, Greek Catholic, Mother Maria Petruska, Greek Catholic, ?? of her

        Everything is clear but I cannot decipher the word  cus??

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
          Annie,

          Further: Town Ruská Nová Ves.  Sponsors: Joannes Choma [Khohma], farmer Anna Choma, farmer from Sosujf.  Priest - Petrus Schirilla.  I believe his name is German and now is written S~irla [Sheerreelah]

          Although Sosujfalu [Sohsuhee-fahluh] the Town name is written in Hungarian, I find it strange that is not pronounced [shoshuhee-fahluh], since the plain s in Hungarian is [sh] and sz is s.

          It is Ruská Nová Ves.

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
            Dear Annie,
            You may want to go back and check birth records starting in December 1869 through November.  That would give enough time for his parents to conceive another child if the first "Joannes" died shortly after his birth in January 1870, I have found they just rename the next child the same name.  It also has the Latin term for "farmer" Colonus.  See below:
            : a free-born serf in the later Roman Empire who could sometimes own property but who was bound to the land and obliged to pay a rent usually in produce
            Origin of COLONUS
            Latin, literally, farmer
            First Known Use: 1857

            My great-grandmother was a Kmetz, however, she is from Velejte, now Vel'aty Slovakia, they were Roman Catholic.
            Jane

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
              Hi Annie,
              I know how you feel! Like winning the lottery !
              Holy Trinity is Roman Catholic. St Nicholas of Myra on ash street in Yonkers is Greek Catholic. It was built a few years after Holy Trinity. Church is still there but parish is now mainly in white plains. Priest was very helpful as their church records provided more info than Holy Trinitys and I was able to locate the towns my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather were from from their records.

              My Mom's mothers side (beganyi, brezcko) were from Ruska Nova Ves.
              One suggestion, if you need more info about their life in yonkers try a search on the site old Fulton postcards. I found some "lost" info in the digital images of the herald statesman, the local Yonkers paper until about the 1990s.

              Elaine M
            • Paul Sabol
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                Hi Elaine.  How long did you have to wait to hear back from St. Nicholas of Myra?  I dropped them a letter several months ago to see if my g-grandparents (also both from R. Nova Ves) attended that church and/or may be buried in their cemetery, but I haven't heard anything.

                Regards,

                Paul G. Sabol

                "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                  Clearly 1870.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                    Thank you Elaine and everyone else!
                    Yes I have devoured the newspapers on Fulton History many times, thank the genealogy gods for that website : )
                    I am hoping to go to Holy Trinity next time we go out to Yonkers to visit relatives, I know the family were all very involved with church and all had their funerals there, I hope I can found out something! Still missing there marriage record and it is driving me nuts!

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <elainep141@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Annie,
                    > I know how you feel! Like winning the lottery !
                    > Holy Trinity is Roman Catholic. St Nicholas of Myra on ash street in Yonkers is Greek Catholic. It was built a few years after Holy Trinity. Church is still there but parish is now mainly in white plains. Priest was very helpful as their church records provided more info than Holy Trinitys and I was able to locate the towns my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather were from from their records.
                    >
                    > My Mom's mothers side (beganyi, brezcko) were from Ruska Nova Ves.
                    > One suggestion, if you need more info about their life in yonkers try a search on the site old Fulton postcards. I found some "lost" info in the digital images of the herald statesman, the local Yonkers paper until about the 1990s.
                    >
                    > Elaine M

                  • John H. Beach
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                      This Trinity Church in Yonkers that is Sovak and is really named _Most_
                      Holy Trinity RC. There are 3 Trinity churches within a block of each
                      other, the other two are Russian Orthodox Trinity and Lutheran Trinity.
                      My wife's grandfather, Michael Begany(i), was an original member of the
                      Most Holy Trinity and lived across from it on FranklinSt. now Trinity
                      Pl. He was from Niz(ná Mys(l(a. My wife seems to remember the Kmetz
                      name there. I went to high school in Yonkers with an Al Kmetz.

                      --
                      Kind Regards,

                      John H. Beach
                      Yonkers, NY.

                      john_h_beach@... Note: the "_" before and after the initial "h" is an underscore character, not a dash or space.

                    • AnnieW
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                        Thanks John, yes I mean the Most Holy Trinity Roman Catholic church is where they went. I think we may have sent a few emails back in forth awhile back, our Kmetz family one of the daughters married a Gonda and the other a Cleary and Gazelle my husbands grandmother married John Garan Jr who went to the Russian Orthodox Holy Trinity. Anyway I think that was you...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                          Annie,

                          Don't know if you have visited this site.  You can translate by clicking on the British flag.  Pictures of the Church are SUPER!  Roman Catholics go to church in Presov.

                          Z Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________

[...]

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                            Vilo,
                            Where’s the link?
                            I’m interested because my cousin, Jozef Dronzek, a Roman Catholic priest is stationed at St. Nicolas in Presov.
                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
                              http://www.ruskanovaves.sk/

                              Michal,

                              Quit Laugh'n at me!  "Kde sem, ti budes~!"  (Or, where I am you will be). :o)

                              I am sorry I forgot to add the site.

                              S Panem Bohem,

                              Vilko/SPROSTI