Hrobljak/Kocsis - Maiden Name?

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28 7:45 PM
      I am confused as to what is the maiden name for Maria wife of  George Petrek.  Birth records image 386 on 1/6/1850 for Spissky Hrhov birth of child Paul.  Is Maria's maiden name Hrobljak or Kocsis?  In future children born of the union it only list Kocsiss.  Could she have been Hrobljak and was a widower of ? Kocsis to list both names?  Or would Maria's mother been a Hrobljak before marrying a Kocsiss.  Any help would be appreciated.  She died in 8/11/1855 shortly after the birth of Stephan Petrek on 8/6/1855.
      Dakujam, Jane

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29 9:36 AM
        Jane,
        It appears that the modern spelling of the name is Hroblak. In the 1995 Slovak Census there were only 6 people with that name in 3 locations.

        Priezvisko HROBĽÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový počet lokalít: 3, v lokalitách:
        HARICHOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 2×;
        SPIŠSKÝ HRHOV, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 LEVOČA) – 2×;
        NAD JAZEROM (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 2×;

        No other entry on the page had a double surname. In my village when a woman widowed and remarried she would use both names. Especially, if she had children by the first marriage. If she died only 5 years after Paul’s birth one might wonder what her age was a death. Enough for two families?
        I am confused as to what is the maiden name for Maria wife of George Petrek. Birth records image 386 on 1/6/1850 for Spissky Hrhov birth of child Paul. Is Maria's maiden name Hrobljak or Kocsis? In future children born of the union it only list Kocsiss. Could she have been Hrobljak and was a widower of ? Kocsis to list both names? Or would Maria's mother been a Hrobljak before marrying a Kocsiss. Any help would be appreciated. She died in 8/11/1855 shortly after the birth of Stephan Petrek on 8/6/1855.
        Dakujam, Jane

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29 12:46 PM
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Hroblak/slovensko/

          I am confused as to what is the maiden name for Maria wife of George Petrek. Birth records image 386 on 1/6/1850 for Spissky Hrhov birth of child Paul. Is Maria's maiden name Hrobljak or Kocsis? In future children born of the union it only list Kocsiss. Could she have been Hrobljak and was a widower of ? Kocsis to list both names? Or would Maria's mother been a Hrobljak before marrying a Kocsiss. Any help would be appreciated. She died in 8/11/1855 shortly after the birth of Stephan Petrek on 8/6/1855.
          Dakujam, Jane

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29 1:30 PM
            Jane,
            This is a difficult one to answer without further evidence. A double name entry might normally mean that the second name of Kocsis would be an alias added to the family name. But looking closely at the entry you will notice that the Kocsis was added after the original entry, and with fresh ink. It may mean that Hrobljak is an error that the scribe corrected, though the writer usually crosses out the error. Or you speculation that Hrobljak may be her first husband but Koscis is her real family name. Since Koscis is used again without the Hrobljak that seems to clearly be her original family name. You should read carefully through the earlier record to see if you can find Hroblak and Koscis family.

            Curt B.