Help with pronunciation: OFCE endings

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
      Hello All,

      I've run across some town/village names ending in 'ofce' eg: Hosztofce,
      Vidkofce, Apatofce, Ostrokofce and many others.
      Is the 'c' a hard sound like a 'k' - so Apatofce = Apatovke?

      Also, I've seen a new christian name = ISTOK a few times. Is this a version
      of Istvan

      The town names are circa 1660 but I believe they have been transliterated
      from Ottoman Turkish - ie Hungarian~Slovak to Turkish back to
      Hungarian-Slovak.

      Thanks Peter M.

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
        I think I worked the christian name out to be a short version of Istefan.
        Istefan is a very old name of Stephen (I'm guessing Byzantine). The
        curiosity here is that the name commemorates King Stephen, the Apostolic
        King and I think by a quirk of coincidence referring to God as well.
        Isten or Iste(n) being the first 4 letters. Isten means God - or more
        correctly the Hungarian God as they still say.
        I~Stefan. The ' i ' must have been dropped at a later date leaving Stefan
        (Stephanus).
        The other variation of Istok I found was ISTEVO - Istevo.as well as Istvan.

        I still have no idea about the ofce/ovke pronunciation.

        Peter M.

        On 28 June 2012 19:21, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I've run across some town/village names ending in 'ofce' eg: Hosztofce,
        > Vidkofce, Apatofce, Ostrokofce and many others.
        > Is the 'c' a hard sound like a 'k' - so Apatofce = Apatovke?
        >
        > Also, I've seen a new christian name = ISTOK a few times. Is this a
        > version of Istvan
        >
        > The town names are circa 1660 but I believe they have been transliterated
        > from Ottoman Turkish - ie Hungarian~Slovak to Turkish back to
        > Hungarian-Slovak.
        >
        > Thanks Peter M.

      • Ladislav Rosival
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
          Hello,

          The ending -ce, -ovce is a quite common ending in town/village names in
          Slovak and Czech but not in Hungarian.

          "C" is in Slovak never pronounced as "k" (like in english "kill"), but
          always soft "c" (in english like "ts" or "tz").

          http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

          The prononciation of "v" in -ovce is closer to "f" then to a "v" so i tis
          possible that in older books was written -ofce insted of todays -ovce.

          Ladislav

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
            I never heard of Istok as a given name - it is more a surname.

            On the hungarian wikipedia i found a page about hungariam diminutive

            http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyar_keresztnevek_bec
            <http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyar_keresztnevek_bec%ef%bf%bdz%ef%bf%bdse> �z�se

            - Istok is an old diminutive of Istv�n.

            Ladislav

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
              FYI: Ladislav:
              The surname and christian names were sounded out phonetically by a Turkish
              scholar into into Magyar and Slovak equivalents, depending on the ethnicity
              of the name. The original Arabic script was written in 1664.

              Peter M.