Translation of Hungarian Petrek male first name

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 24, 2012
      Good afternoon,
      I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov.  The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B",  Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name?  I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone.  I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree.  I think a branch got cut somewhere!
      Sincerely, Jane

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 24, 2012
        Jane,
        I looked at your image. My first reading was Beilint or Beilink. The wife’s name is Anna Galik. I looked at the surnames in Spissky Hrhov now. There was nothing like Beilint/k, but there was an abundance of Gallik. It could well be that he settled in her village.
        I would look for their marriage in previous years. It may well give some more information on him.

        I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov. The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B", Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name? I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone. I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree. I think a branch got cut somewhere!
        Sincerely, Jane

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 24, 2012
          Could it be Balint (Valentine in English)?

          On 25 June 2012 10:51, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Jane,
          > I looked at your image. My first reading was Beilint or Beilink. The
          > wife’s name is Anna Galik. I looked at the surnames in Spissky Hrhov now.
          > There was nothing like Beilint/k, but there was an abundance of Gallik. It
          > could well be that he settled in her village.
          > I would look for their marriage in previous years. It may well give some
          > more information on him.

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 24, 2012
            Jane,
            His first name is Bálint, with an acute accent over the "a". This is the Hungarian name, Slovak is Valent, not too common in English as Valent or Valentine.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

            > Good afternoon,
            > I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov.  The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B",  Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name?  I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone.  I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree.  I think a branch got cut somewhere!
            > Sincerely, Jane

          • Jane Murray
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
              Curt, Molly, Michael.
              Thank you, the eldest child was Valentinus Petrek (Balint, Hungarian) in my records. I will now have to locate when the first wife died, and he remarried to another gal other than Anna Galik.  It is also interesting to know there are still Petrek's over in the area.  Valent/Balint passed away in 1855, the next eldest son George had 17 children, one of which came to this country (hence I am a decendant). George's eldest son Paul probably took over the farm ( from reading Michael's prior post and attachements, had to be a substantial one.)  I am leaving in a few weeks to go our our ancestral home in PA.  The Petrek's will be thrilled with this new information.

              How you get the "accent" marks over your postings?  Is there a format change I need to install?  I would love for my family tree to have the accents over the correct words.  In addition, is it common to put the names and towns in the trees in English or using the original language?  What is the best and correct way of doing this?
              Warm regards,  Jane

              ________________________________
              His first name is Bálint, with an acute accent over the "a". This is the Hungarian name, Slovak is Valent, not too common in English as Valent or Valentine.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

              > Good afternoon,
              > I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov.  The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B",  Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name?  I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone.  I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree.  I think a branch got cut somewhere!
              > Sincerely, Jane

            • John
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                >>> is it common to put the names and towns in the trees in English or using the original language?  What is the best and correct way of doing this? <<<

                This will be debated forever. There is no "correct" way.

                I use the birth name as per church records and then in a fit of inconsistency, I use the current village name. The reason I use the current village name is so that people can find the place on a recent map. Yes, yes, I know that Slovakia did not exist in 1800 -- or 1900.
              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                  That makes a lot of sense as it is just practical.
                  Peter M.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                    I have been using the "current" village, town name as you indicated for future individuals to find the place on the map.  Hopefully the names will stay fairly consistent.  100 years from now, who knows.   Thanks for your thoughts. Jane

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                      Jane,
                      In your e-mail program there is a place to choose what Encoding you are using. Mine has Unicode UTF-7 and Unicode UTF-8. By using the UTF-8 all of the diacritical marks will appear and you can cut and paste the words into your records.
                      The Slovak alphabet uses the acute (á é í ó ú ý ĺ ŕ), caron (č ď ľ ň š ť ž), umlaut (ä) and circumflex accent (ô)
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_alphabet – Explanation of the Slovak alphabet.

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                      > Good afternoon,
                      > I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov. The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B", Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name? I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone. I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree. I think a branch got cut somewhere!
                      > Sincerely, Jane

                    • Sue Martin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                        If you do a lot of keying in other languages, you can set up Windows so that multiple keyboards are available to you. For example, I usually use an English keyboard, of course, but I can click an icon in the system tray and switch immediately to either Hungarian or Slovak. Of course, you have to learn where the letters with accent marks are; it's somewhat easier in Hungarian than in Slovak.

                        Sorry - slightly off topic.

                        Sue

                        [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_alphabet%5d http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_alphabet – Explanation of the Slovak alphabet.

                        His first name is Bálint, with an acute accent over the "a". This is the Hungarian name, Slovak is Valent, not too common in English as Valent or Valentine.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                        > Good afternoon,
                        > I am currently looking at the Hungarian records 1844-1852 in Spissky Hrhov. The male listed on image 375, birth of Erzabet, November 12. 1845 on Family Search. org. The gentleman's name begins with a "B", Looks to be "Beilins", what is the English translation of that name? I do not have him on my Petrek family tree and I am wondering if I missed someone. I know that Erzabet is translated to Elizabeth, the mothers name is okay also; through I do not have her included in my tree. I think a branch got cut somewhere!
                        > Sincerely, Jane

                      • Frank R Plichta
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                          Jane,

                          I recommend using the city/village/town names in the original language. As
                          a matter of fact many of the city/village/town names changed over time, even
                          in their native language or in the language of the ruling powers that were
                          in effect. There are several references to those old names. Depending on
                          the years involved, it is possible for an individual to be born under one
                          village name, marry under another village name and die under yet a third
                          village name and never having left the village. I use the names of the
                          places in effect at the time the ancestral event occurred.

                          I don't know how your can translate a place name into English since that
                          location was never known by that English variation.

                          Good Luck,

                          Frank

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                            Jane,

                            I believe there is a future problem with using “current” village names in
                            your genealogy data. If someone follows after you and tries to verify your
                            data they will find all of the wrong names. This might be discouraging to
                            them because when they started they had good feelings about your data.
                            After a while they may have the opinion that you made so many mistakes with
                            place names that the rest of the data will become suspect.

                            Genealogy is the study of families over time and place. Times change.
                            Places change. Ruling powers change. Names change. If you understand all
                            of the changes you are better educated to the history of your family. You
                            can better appreciate what they went thru in their life times.

                            I recommend staying true to history. Tell it like it was then and learn
                            from all of the changes.

                            Frank

                            “Searching the world for PLICHTAs”

                            Any Plichta, from any place, at any time in history.

                            _____

                            <mailto:johnqadam%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                            > **

                            > using the original language? Â What is the best and correct way of doing
                            > this? <<<
                            >
                            > This will be debated forever. There is no "correct" way.
                            >
                            > I use the birth name as per church records and then in a fit of
                            > inconsistency, I use the current village name. The reason I use the
                            current
                            > village name is so that people can find the place on a recent map. Yes,
                            > yes, I know that Slovakia did not exist in 1800 -- or 1900.

                          • Michele Baker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                              Thank you all for the excellent information in these discussions. All very
                              valuable in researching our families and understanding information we find.

                              Michele

                              _____

                              From: htcstech <htcstech@... <mailto:htcstech%40gmail.com>

                              On 25 June 2012 23:07, John <johnqadam@... <mailto:johnqadam%40yahoo.com>
                              <mailto:johnqadam%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                              > **

                              > using the original language? Â What is the best and correct way of doing
                              > this? <<<
                              >
                              > This will be debated forever. There is no "correct" way.
                              >
                              > I use the birth name as per church records and then in a fit of
                              > inconsistency, I use the current village name. The reason I use the
                              current
                              > village name is so that people can find the place on a recent map. Yes,
                              > yes, I know that Slovakia did not exist in 1800 -- or 1900.

                            • William C. Wormuth
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 25, 2012
                                Frank,

                                Some of us have listed complete historical listings, for towns, (villages).

                                Assuming you include your publication dates, why not include historicallistings for your native Towns, on a "NOTES" page?

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilo