Re: [S-R] BELLACK

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 23, 2012
      Julie,
      The “okr.” is an abbreviation for orkes / district or county. So that would be the District of Spisska Nova Ves.

      As far as the listings, here are the steps:
      https://familysearch.org/#start Open the start page: Discover Your Family History
      There are two means to start the search.
      In the upper part you can enter information; names, life events and relationship. Kohan only has 2,060,255 listings and Bellack 193,040. Adding life events and relationship will narrow the listings. This will get you to a list of your surname quickly. The problem is they all do not come up in one grouping. There are many different surnames given, why? So using the life events and relationship boxes certainly narrows the search down. As I wrote previously, using Olsavica narrowed the listing from millions to 7 pages. Unfortunately, you don’t know if all of the images of a surname have been entered. For example: Mihaly Belak in Spissky Nova Ves comes up with 27 listings. All are married. If yours got married in the USA it would not be listed in the Hungarian records. So you have go to the next search.

      On the lower part: Browse by Location, click on Continental Europe. In the next window in the Place listings on the left click on Slovakia. The Historical Records page opens, click on Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910.

      This opens the page Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910(https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1554443 a link to this page to save time). You can Search Collection by name or View Images in this Collection by clicking on Browse through 1,853,592 images.
      On the next page you choose the religious affiliation you want to look at, click on it.

      On opening the next page you have the list of orkes. You then click on the one your records are in.

      When the next window opens there will be a list of locations in that orkes that they have records of, click on the one you want search.

      This window had the headings for the records. Click on your choice and begin searching.

      Drienovska Nova Ves is in the orkes Presov. Saris is the name of the Hungarian County it was in.
      Drienovská Nová Ves PO/PV šariš.
      1773 Somos-Ujfalu, Drenovska Nowa Wes, 1786 Schomosch-Ujfalu, Drenowa Nowa Wes, 1808 Somos-Újfalu, Dřinowská Nowá Wes, 1863–1913 Somosújfalu, 1920 Drinovská Nová Ves, 1927–1973 Drienovská Nová Ves, 1973–1980 Drieňovská Nová Ves, 1981– Drienovská Nová Ves

      If your great-grandfather applied of citizenship you can find those records. They will have where he was born.