Online Church Record Workaround

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
      The bright lights that first assigned new numbers to some church films and more recently combined the films into one GIANT digital file have made it very difficult to wade through the digital file. For example, the current local work on the Falkusovce GC film requires one to wade through 585 digital images -- with no index.

      Here's how to help yourself with your giant film(s).

      Go to the old LDS web site and copy/paste the old film descriptions to a Word file. Separate each segment of each film onto a separate line. Print that page.

      As you work through the film, note the digital page numbers for the start and end of each section.

      For example:
      Inv. C. 254
      Manzelstva 1836-1885 pages 210-237
      Umrtia 1836-1885 pages 238-299

      If you have noted these page breaks, you can skip back and forth through the (585 page) film with relative ease.
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
        Words to the wise, John! I share your frustration at the combining of multiple films into one digital file, and like you have made my own little guide. I'll just point out that one need not work methodically through the whole 585 images to do this. I jump to about mid-point to see if I've hit the deaths (umrtia) yet, and depending on whether I have and what date in the sequence I'd landed on, I work my way a little forward or back (jumping 5 or 10 pages) until I find the beginning of the that section. And if it's a record set that I use a lot, as I work in it I make note of other milestones, e.g. marriages 1840, marriages 1850, marriages 1860, so I can later move quickly to a date (or estimated date) of an event.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
          I do exactly the same thing to determine where I am in the film. I start with 50 page jumps and then work down to 10 page jumps.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

          > Words to the wise, John! I share your frustration at the combining of multiple films into one digital file, and like you have made my own little guide. I'll just point out that one need not work methodically through the whole 585 images to do this. I jump to about mid-point to see if I've hit the deaths (umrtia) yet, and depending on whether I have and what date in the sequence I'd landed on, I work my way a little forward or back (jumping 5 or 10 pages) until I find the beginning of the that section. And if it's a record set that I use a lot, as I work in it I make note of other milestones, e.g. marriages 1840, marriages 1850, marriages 1860, so I can later move quickly to a date (or estimated date) of an event.
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...
          >
          > On Jun 23, 2012, at 7:38 AM, John wrote:
          >
          > > The bright lights that first assigned new numbers to some church films and more recently combined the films into one GIANT digital file have made it very difficult to wade through the digital file. For example, the current local work on the Falkusovce GC film requires one to wade through 585 digital images -- with no index.
          > >
          > > Here's how to help yourself with your giant film(s).
          > >
          > > Go to the old LDS web site and copy/paste the old film descriptions to a Word file. Separate each segment of each film onto a separate line. Print that page.
          > >
          > > As you work through the film, note the digital page numbers for the start and end of each section.
          > >
          > > For example:
          > > Inv. C. 254
          > > Manzelstva 1836-1885 pages 210-237
          > > Umrtia 1836-1885 pages 238-299
          > >
          > > If you have noted these page breaks, you can skip back and forth through the (585 page) film with relative ease.

        • Eulis Landrith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
            Just a heads up-the old LDS family search no longer exists-I used to access it from Google and as of last Thursday-it has disappeared replaced by the link "new family search"--I have not been able to access the IGI (International Genealogical Index) files that were more helpful than the search in the new site--even with the search filters-there are too many useless hits to wade thru to find names and going for exact, even when you know the surname is there, usually gives you "no records"-wish they would leave well enough alone!  Sue Eppley Landrith

          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2012
              Wrong. The old site lives on at https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Eulis Landrith <landlsjj@...> wrote:

              > Just a heads up-the old LDS family search no longer exists-I used to access it from Google and as of last Thursday-it has disappeared replaced by the link "new family search"--I have not been able to access the IGI (International Genealogical Index) files that were more helpful than the search in the new site--even with the search filters-there are too many useless hits to wade thru to find names and going for exact, even when you know the surname is there, usually gives you "no records"-wish they would leave well enough alone!  Sue Eppley Landrith

            • lazybee78
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2012
                Sue

                It's still there you just have to search it differently.

                Lisa

                New FamilySearch Feature—IGI
                May 25, 2012 By Steve

                All of the legacy IGI (International Genealogical Index) records will be available at FamilySearch.org. While many genealogists found the IGI useful, its mix of community indexed sources and community contributed records meant that not all of its data was equally reliable. This problem has been resolved by creating two IGI collections, both searchable from the IGI collection page:

                Community Indexed IGI: This collection consists of sources that were indexed by the genealogical community from collections of vital and Church records. They are considered an excellent source of primary genealogical information. Unlike the old IGI, which put these sources all in one collection, on the new site each record has been organized into their respective collections (ex. England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975).
                Community Contributed IGI: This collection consists of personal family information submitted by individuals to the LDS Church. Some of these are source-like. But the collection they were extracted from is no longer known. Many represent conclusions of the submitter. The quality of this information varies. Duplicate entries, conclusions from secondary sources, and inconsistent information are common. Always verify contributed entries against sources of primary information.

                Note: FamilySearch is in the process of completing the download of the records contributed by the community into the FamilySearch database. If you are looking for a name that you know was present in the IGI and cannot find it, it may have been in the portion contributed by the community and will be available on the new site shortly.

                How to find IGI Records

                To search for all published historical records about an individual, including IGI records:

                Go to FamilySearch.org and search using the form on the main page.
                The results page will provide tools to filter and refine your search if needed.

                Tip: It is best to enter a little information at a time. Entering too much information may return few matching results, as the search engine will look for only the records that include all the information you entered. No records will include all events, places, parents, and spouse. For example, a marriage record will have a spouse and a marriage date and place; a birth record will not have a spouse but will have a birth date and parents.

                Note: You may search for an IGI batch number on the FamilySearch home page.

                To search only for records that were part of the old IGI by name or by batch number, serial or sheet number, or film number:

                Go to FamilySearch.org.
                On the left side of the home page, click All Record Collections.
                In the alphabetical collections list, click International Genealogical Index (IGI).
                Click on the collection you want to search. Choose one of the following:
                Community Indexed IGI
                Community Contributed IGI
                In the Search boxes, enter the information you want to search by. Depending on the information that you know from the old IGI records, you can search by any of the following information: Name, Event dates and locations, Relationships, or Batch, Serial or Sheet or Film numbers.If these are options that they click, bold each of them. If they are not options, they need to be lower cased. You may refine this search, as you would any search for historical records, by adding more information to filter or narrow your search. Or you can add an event date or place, or a spouse, or parents.

                Tip: Try a variety of search criteria. Enter a little information at a time. Entering too much information may filter out too many records.

                Tip: To make sure you find the record you want, search both the Community Indexed Records and the Community Contributed Records.

                To learn more about the IGI, please visit the IGI Wiki page on the FamilySearch Wiki.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2012
                  Thanks for the help in finding the IGI on the new site-still like the set up of the old one better, but will use whatever is there.  Sue Eppley Landrith

                • Julie Michutka
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 25, 2012
                    On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:34 AM, Eulis Landrith wrote:

                    > Thanks for the help in finding the IGI on the new site-still like the set up of the old one better, but will use whatever is there. Sue Eppley Landrith

                    A LOT of people prefer the old FamilySearch site! It is still available, and here are two ways to get to it:

                    Try this URL: https://familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                    Or, from the home page of FamilySearch.org: at the top, click on "Family Search Centers." On the next page, you'll see "Family Search centers offer a variety of services," and one of the options under it is "Genealogical Resources"; just under that, click on "search our library catalog." On the subsequent page, you'll see the line, "Family Search Catalog is in Beta. You can still visit the previous version." The words "previous version" are a link that you can click on, and that takes you to the old familiar website.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...