Re: [S-R] help with Latin

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2012
      Genealogy sometimes brings forth inferences we feel uncomfortable with. It
      shows us a glimpse of what of what life was like.
      I take umbrage at your statement that the village community would not
      support these people as we don't know the situation that caused them to be
      beggars. For example if the husband rented, then died and left a wife and
      children without a home or income and no family support network, then they
      become 'beggars'. Charity can only go so far. Some 'napszamlos' - casual
      day workers were sometimes listed as mendicus (koldus ~ hu) later in their
      lives if their situation didn't improve.
      Peter M.