Re: "alias Vangor"

  • joe@xxxxxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7 3:06 PM
      > What about the word "goral" for those mountain people? Where does
      that
      > come from?

      Andrea, you are so sweet!

      Goral comes from Polish, referring to a highlander (vrchar in Slovak).
      It's actually pronounced "gural" - the o has an accent mark over it in
      Polish, but Slovak drops the accent mark, so in literary Slovak it's
      usually pronounced goral, but villagers still say gural. From what I've
      read, some settlers were already there during the 11th/12th centuries,
      when the Polish/Hungarian border was farther south - the upper reaches
      of the Hornad and Vah rivers. After the border had shifted north, some
      skipped over the border to flee oppressive feudal conditions in Poland,
      or because there were in trouble with the law. Probably the majority
      though came into the area with the Wallachian migrations of the 15th to
      17th centuries. They've preserved their Polish dialect in compact areas
      of northern Spis and Orava, and in island villages here and there where
      they're a majority of the population (like in Huty, Male/Velke Borove,
      Liptovska Teplicka, Liptovska Luzna or Lom nad Rimavicou), but in island
      villages where they were a minority early in this century (like in
      Liptovska Osada, Pohorela, or Polomka) they've assimilated to Slovak and
      disappeared as a distinct group.

      Joe
      joe@...
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7 5:46 PM
        Dear Greg,

        Thanks for the fascinating information. I would have suspected some sort of
        linguistic missing links between Slovak and Polish up until recent times,
        meaning I suppose WWII.

        Are you familiar with the folk group Oravan? I wonder if some of their
        music on the audiotape that Greg Kopchak sells is goral music. Wierd pipes
        and so on. Did you notice that another lister found someone named Wanigura
        as a boarder in her ancestor's home around 1920?

        Maybe another Vangor variant. Julie Michutka, who posted about it, may be
        able to tell me more.