Re: [S-R] Re: CLUSTER GENEALOGY HOW TO ( and Godparent traditions)

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
      That was an excellent article.

       I don't want to beat this subject to death, but it is important.

       My personal observations in referrence to the article; ... in our times being chosen as a godparent is a great honor, akin to being best man at a wedding.

       A parent chooses a godparent because they have the same religious views, so it's understandable a best friend c ould be chosen over a relative.

       I also think this custom has evolved somewhat. In earlier times it seems most people in a villiage were of the same religious ilk and religion played a more dominate role in their lives. The choice of a godparent would more easily go to a relative since all the family usually shared the same beliefs.

         Nowadays families can have kids that "find" their own religious paths, other than how they were raised. In that case a friend c ould share the religious beliefs moreso than the older generations of family.
       So...in or times the custom of choosing a godparent is getting away from the "villiage" mentallity, where our ancestors could be more assured that everyone shared their religious views, and their choice of a godparent stayed in the family .

       Larry

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
        "During the 1720s in the village of Dubova , Joannes Kubancsek, was listed as
        Godfather for over 20 baptisms in the span of seven years.  JK appeared to be
        an important person in Dubova. He was listed as "Scholae Rector" which indicated
        he was a teacher and head of the school. He was one of the few persons in the
        village that had a title attached to his name in all the records."

        NOTE: There were reasons given for his selection as Godfather for the over 20 baptisms.

        NOTE: This information was provided in 2001 by the Statny Oblastany Archiv
                   V Banskej Bystrici and approved by Phd. Julius Valach, Director.

        Gil

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
          In my g-grandmother's ancestral village of Ruska Nova Ves, I have a copy of her birth record and her mother's maiden name looks like it was spelled Jaczkanin or maybe Jacztkanin.

          I'm guessing this may be Hungarian, but does anyone know:

          a) how to phoneticall pronounce it?

          b) what if anything does it translate to?   I know Sabol translates to tailor, but Sabol is Slovak.

          Regards,

          Paul G. Sabol

          "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

          ________________________________

          On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Larry,
          > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
          > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
          > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
          > Michael

        • Frank R Plichta
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
            Paul,

            OK, so will you changed your name to Paul Taylor?

            Forgive me for my poor sense of humor. I have never understood why folks
            want to translate a proper name.

            I for one do not want to be known as:

            "Frank A-tie-Game" (Slovak)

            "Frank A-card-of-low-value" (Czech)

            "Frank An-idle-or-useless-person" (Polish)

            "Frank Cabin" (German) A place where the Captain of the boat steers the
            boat.

            As many times as I need to spell my name to someone over the telephone I
            still want to be known as:

            Frank Plichta

            "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

            Any Plichta, from any place at any time in history.

            _____

            "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
            to one set of godparents?"

            I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
            church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
            and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
            even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
            were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
            of sorting out family lines.

            On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Larry,
            > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
            > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
            > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
            > Michael

          • patskanovo
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
              I have seen Feczkanin from them 'thar parts....

              Dennis

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Paul Sabol <pgsabol@...> wrote:

              > In my g-grandmother's ancestral village of Ruska Nova Ves, I have a copy of her birth record and her mother's maiden name looks like it was spelled Jaczkanin or maybe Jacztkanin.
              >
              > I'm guessing this may be Hungarian, but does anyone know:
              >
              > a) how to phoneticall pronounce it?
              >
              > b) what if anything does it translate to?   I know Sabol translates to tailor, but Sabol is Slovak.
              >

              > Regards,
              >

              > Paul G. Sabol
              >

              > "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a manâ€"and give some back." - Al Swearingen
              >

              > ________________________________

            • deeellessbee
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                Frank, you are obviously not one of us word geeks who love to know the meaning and etymology of every word, whether its a common noun, adjective, an expression or saying, or even our own names (first as well as last). It could also give a clue to profession or characteristic or attribute somewhere along the line.

                Coming from a line of Jacksons on my mom's side (ho-hum!) I think it's kind of fun to find out what some of the other names mean. Funny that I never thought to ask about my own....

                Debbie

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                > Paul,
                >

                > OK, so will you changed your name to Paul Taylor?
                >

                > Forgive me for my poor sense of humor. I have never understood why folks
                > want to translate a proper name.
                >

                > I for one do not want to be known as:
                >
                > "Frank A-tie-Game" (Slovak)
                >
                > "Frank A-card-of-low-value" (Czech)
                >
                > "Frank An-idle-or-useless-person" (Polish)
                >
                > "Frank Cabin" (German) A place where the Captain of the boat steers the
                > boat.
                >

                > As many times as I need to spell my name to someone over the telephone I
                > still want to be known as:
                >
                > Frank Plichta
                >
                > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
                >
                > Any Plichta, from any place at any time in history.
                >

                > _____

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                  Paul,

                  Jaczkanin [Yahtskah-neen], spelled in Slovak, Jackanin.

                  Phone directory: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________

                  "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                  to one set of godparents?"

                  I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                  church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                  and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                  even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                  were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                  of sorting out family lines.

                  On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Larry,
                  > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                  > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                  > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                  > Michael

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                    Vilko, can you decipher the base of the surname? I am thinking jac~men~, or "barley." Perhaps it is an antiquated form of "barley miller" or "barley farmer?"

                    It shows up mostly around Bardejov. But as I also find it around Svidnik, it may be a Rusin word that I am not familiar with.
                    Ben

                    ________________________________

                    "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                    to one set of godparents?"

                    I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                    church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                    and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                    even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                    were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                    of sorting out family lines.

                    On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Larry,
                    > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                    > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                    > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                    > Michael

                  • Armata, Joseph R
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                      Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                        I think we are wandering into a question that Martin Votruba should answer-- as though I do not know of this ending, it could be antiquated or we could all be off. :-) I suggest that we take this to SK-World.
                        Ben

                        ________________________________
                        Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                        Joe

                        "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                        to one set of godparents?"

                        I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                        church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                        and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                        even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                        were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                        of sorting out family lines.

                        On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Larry,
                        > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                        > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                        > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                        > Michael

                      • Sue Martin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                          Good question. Some of my ancestors came from Podmanin, though.

                          Sue

                          Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                          Joe

                          Jaczkanin [Yahtskah-neen], spelled in Slovak, Jackanin.

                          Phone directory: [http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/%5d http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/

                          Z Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________

                          "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                          to one set of godparents?"

                          I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                          church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                          and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                          even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                          were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                          of sorting out family lines.

                          On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Larry,
                          > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                          > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                          > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                          > Michael

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                            The only -in ending that I am familiar with is a feminine possessive: Milkin syn. :-) (Milka's son)

                            We should take it to SK-W to find out.
                            Ben

                            ________________________________

                          • david1law@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                              Dear Paul:

                              To follow up on Joe's post, it probably refers to Jász-Nagy-Szolnok
                              County, Hungary or Jaczow, Poland or another place name with Jász or Jacz its
                              name. The following is a link to the Jász entry in wikipedia:

                              _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1sz_
                              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%c3%a1sz)

                              If you do a search in ARCANUM (which can be accessed through Bill
                              Tarkulich's website at iabsi.com), you will find 27 results for JACZK* (with the
                              wildcard * asterisk), among the earliest references are "DE JACZK" and
                              "JACZKONES" which are references to the JASZI, the Hungarian name for the
                              Sarmatians, who are also referred to as JASZKONES and JASSONES, among others.
                              Poland is also known for its connections to the Sarmatians.

                              When I saw Vilo's phonetic pronunciation of the name -- "Yahtskah-neen" --
                              it reminded me of another Slovak name -- YAHTSKY (a family with whom I am
                              very good friends) -- and that surname tracks back to the JASZ. I hope
                              this helps a little.

                              Best regards,

                              David

                              From: William C. Wormuth <_senzus@..._ (mailto:senzus@...)
                              <mailto:senzus%40ymail.com> >
                              To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                              From: Paul Sabol <_pgsabol@..._ (mailto:pgsabol@...)
                              <mailto:pgsabol%40yahoo.com> >
                              To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                              From: Gil Kubancsek <_gek0105@..._ (mailto:gek0105@...)
                              <mailto:gek0105%40yahoo.com> >
                              To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                                Vazeny enko,

                                A little late but I appreciate hearing from you.  It is hard to answer this wuestion when there is a dialect involved.  In my experience there are very few name derivations available but if you are interested DNA it. :o) :o) :o)

                                Best regards!

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilo

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:
                                  I have never thought about the ending but I have seen several surnames with the "KANIN" ending searching in and around Beloveza which is close to the Polish boarder today....

                                  Dennis

                                  > Dear Paul:
                                  >
                                  > To follow up on Joe's post, it probably refers to Jász-Nagy-Szolnok
                                  > County, Hungary or Jaczow, Poland or another place name with Jász or Jacz its
                                  > name. The following is a link to the Jász entry in wikipedia:
                                  >
                                  > _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1sz_
                                  > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%c3%83%c2%a1sz)
                                  >

                                  > If you do a search in ARCANUM (which can be accessed through Bill
                                  > Tarkulich's website at iabsi.com), you will find 27 results for JACZK* (with the
                                  > wildcard * asterisk), among the earliest references are "DE JACZK" and
                                  > "JACZKONES" which are references to the JASZI, the Hungarian name for the
                                  > Sarmatians, who are also referred to as JASZKONES and JASSONES, among others.
                                  > Poland is also known for its connections to the Sarmatians.
                                  >
                                  > When I saw Vilo's phonetic pronunciation of the name -- "Yahtskah-neen" --
                                  > it reminded me of another Slovak name -- YAHTSKY (a family with whom I am
                                  > very good friends) -- and that surname tracks back to the JASZ. I hope
                                  > this helps a little.
                                  >

                                  > Best regards,
                                  >
                                  > David
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 7/24/2012 8:28:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  > armata+@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like
                                  > Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.
                                  >
                                  > Joe

                                • Ron
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                    One source I have advocated as a general Slavic information source for names is Paul Goldschmid's (misnamed) Dictionary of Russian Names. I think it should be called "Paul Goldschmidt's Dictionary of Slavic Names". Looking at
                                    http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html he says:
                                    "Masculine Patronymics If the father's given name ended in "-a" or "-ia," the basic patronymic ending is "-in" or "-yn," respectively (with the "a" or "ia" dropping out)."

                                    There is a lot more on that and other pages he posted. Take a look, and if it gives you some background, let us know so others will be encouraged to check it out as well.

                                    Searching under his H-J list http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/h-j.html
                                    produces "Iatsko (m) -- Iatsko Voronich, landowner. 1552. [Tup 395]
                                    Vars: Jaczko (Jaczko Horko, Liuboml'sk peasant). 1564. [Tup 113]
                                    Pats: Iatskovich (Ivashko Iatskovich Vladyka, southwestern royal scribe). 1487. [Tup 87] "

                                    With all of the Slovak, Hungarian, Rusyn and Russian soures as potentially applicable, and much written in German as well, we have a rather rich (if confusing) variety of sources!

                                    My tendency would be to look upon the above as interesting and worthy of considering, but certainly not necessarily taking as applicable in your case.

                                    Ron

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                      It is lucky I forgot to include one more source in the last posting. For a general and very informative tour of Slovak background topics, please go and spend some time on Dr. Votruba's website at U of Pittsburgh. He is a well respected contributor to Slovak World and has assembled a lot of good information for Slovak-Americans on this site:

                                      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html