Re: [S-R] CLUSTER GENEALOGY HOW TO

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
      Michael

        yes, I've seen ths same thing in my ancestral villiage of Gbely.

       I've also seen where one couple were godparents for multiple families that were seemingly unrelated ...as if they were designated by the church  to be available in case a family needed a godparent in a hurry [or whatever reason].

       The role of a godparent is to insure the godchild is raised in the catholic faith and not actually being responsible for raising the child, in the event of the death of the child's parents. If the godparents are devout catholics then I guess they could take on numerous godchildren, being concerned for the religious welfare of the children, even if they had no close ties to the parents.

       This could be an example of the mentality; "it takes a villiage to raise a child".

         I still think godparents are  important to note, as an aide to placing a child in the right family, but knowing what you pointed out, godparent data should be used with caution.

       I mentioned in my original post that using house numbers helps to place a child in the right family also. The same caution should be used there.

         I find multiple house numbers in a single family in baptismal records, along with multiple godparents.

       Maybe this all boils down to what you always say.....we can't easily  understand the lives and customs of our ancestors by using contemporary logic.

       Larry

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
        The norm in my ancestral families is that one set of godparents stood up for all the children.

         I have the same godparents as most of my  siblings. The only reason my parents stop using them was they died.

           I think it would be preferred to use the same godparents so the parents could be assured of some consistancy in the religious lives of their kids...that's just my thought.

          Your take on the person that was that was a kind of "back-up" is a more clear way of explaining what I was trying to  saying in my reply to Micheal. Thank you.

        larry

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
          That was an excellent article.

           I don't want to beat this subject to death, but it is important.

           My personal observations in referrence to the article; ... in our times being chosen as a godparent is a great honor, akin to being best man at a wedding.

           A parent chooses a godparent because they have the same religious views, so it's understandable a best friend c ould be chosen over a relative.

           I also think this custom has evolved somewhat. In earlier times it seems most people in a villiage were of the same religious ilk and religion played a more dominate role in their lives. The choice of a godparent would more easily go to a relative since all the family usually shared the same beliefs.

             Nowadays families can have kids that "find" their own religious paths, other than how they were raised. In that case a friend c ould share the religious beliefs moreso than the older generations of family.
           So...in or times the custom of choosing a godparent is getting away from the "villiage" mentallity, where our ancestors could be more assured that everyone shared their religious views, and their choice of a godparent stayed in the family .

           Larry

          In Hungarian , sometimes Slovakian famiy records  - the same couple is usually used for the baptisms. They are usually not related . They are " koma " of the groom usually - like a favorite buddy  and his wife . If one is deceased along the way ,a relative of the " koma " substitutes for him . But with the villages so small , they could sometimes be cousins .

          Here's a great link from the old list days where Felix Game and Ron McComb discussed this tradition : http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HUNGARY/1998-03/0891399425

          www.hungarianfamilyrecord.org

          > Larry,
          >     In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
          > Michael

        • Gil Kubancsek
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
            "During the 1720s in the village of Dubova , Joannes Kubancsek, was listed as
            Godfather for over 20 baptisms in the span of seven years.  JK appeared to be
            an important person in Dubova. He was listed as "Scholae Rector" which indicated
            he was a teacher and head of the school. He was one of the few persons in the
            village that had a title attached to his name in all the records."

            NOTE: There were reasons given for his selection as Godfather for the over 20 baptisms.

            NOTE: This information was provided in 2001 by the Statny Oblastany Archiv
                       V Banskej Bystrici and approved by Phd. Julius Valach, Director.

            Gil

            "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
            to one set of godparents?"

            I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
            church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
            and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
            even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
            were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
            of sorting out family lines.

            On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Larry,
            > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
            > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
            > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
            > Michael

          • Paul Sabol
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
              In my g-grandmother's ancestral village of Ruska Nova Ves, I have a copy of her birth record and her mother's maiden name looks like it was spelled Jaczkanin or maybe Jacztkanin.

              I'm guessing this may be Hungarian, but does anyone know:

              a) how to phoneticall pronounce it?

              b) what if anything does it translate to?   I know Sabol translates to tailor, but Sabol is Slovak.

              Regards,

              Paul G. Sabol

              "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

              ________________________________

              On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Larry,
              > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
              > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
              > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
              > Michael

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                Paul,

                OK, so will you changed your name to Paul Taylor?

                Forgive me for my poor sense of humor. I have never understood why folks
                want to translate a proper name.

                I for one do not want to be known as:

                "Frank A-tie-Game" (Slovak)

                "Frank A-card-of-low-value" (Czech)

                "Frank An-idle-or-useless-person" (Polish)

                "Frank Cabin" (German) A place where the Captain of the boat steers the
                boat.

                As many times as I need to spell my name to someone over the telephone I
                still want to be known as:

                Frank Plichta

                "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

                Any Plichta, from any place at any time in history.

                _____

                "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                to one set of godparents?"

                I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                of sorting out family lines.

                On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Larry,
                > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                > Michael

              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                  I have seen Feczkanin from them 'thar parts....

                  Dennis

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Paul Sabol <pgsabol@...> wrote:

                  > In my g-grandmother's ancestral village of Ruska Nova Ves, I have a copy of her birth record and her mother's maiden name looks like it was spelled Jaczkanin or maybe Jacztkanin.
                  >
                  > I'm guessing this may be Hungarian, but does anyone know:
                  >
                  > a) how to phoneticall pronounce it?
                  >
                  > b) what if anything does it translate to?   I know Sabol translates to tailor, but Sabol is Slovak.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >

                  > Paul G. Sabol
                  >

                  > "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a manâ€"and give some back." - Al Swearingen
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • deeellessbee
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                    Frank, you are obviously not one of us word geeks who love to know the meaning and etymology of every word, whether its a common noun, adjective, an expression or saying, or even our own names (first as well as last). It could also give a clue to profession or characteristic or attribute somewhere along the line.

                    Coming from a line of Jacksons on my mom's side (ho-hum!) I think it's kind of fun to find out what some of the other names mean. Funny that I never thought to ask about my own....

                    Debbie

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                    > Paul,
                    >

                    > OK, so will you changed your name to Paul Taylor?
                    >

                    > Forgive me for my poor sense of humor. I have never understood why folks
                    > want to translate a proper name.
                    >

                    > I for one do not want to be known as:
                    >
                    > "Frank A-tie-Game" (Slovak)
                    >
                    > "Frank A-card-of-low-value" (Czech)
                    >
                    > "Frank An-idle-or-useless-person" (Polish)
                    >
                    > "Frank Cabin" (German) A place where the Captain of the boat steers the
                    > boat.
                    >

                    > As many times as I need to spell my name to someone over the telephone I
                    > still want to be known as:
                    >
                    > Frank Plichta
                    >
                    > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
                    >
                    > Any Plichta, from any place at any time in history.
                    >

                    > _____

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                      Paul,

                      Jaczkanin [Yahtskah-neen], spelled in Slovak, Jackanin.

                      Phone directory: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________

                      "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                      to one set of godparents?"

                      I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                      church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                      and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                      even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                      were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                      of sorting out family lines.

                      On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Larry,
                      > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                      > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                      > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                      > Michael

                    • Ben Sorensen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 23, 2012
                        Vilko, can you decipher the base of the surname? I am thinking jac~men~, or "barley." Perhaps it is an antiquated form of "barley miller" or "barley farmer?"

                        It shows up mostly around Bardejov. But as I also find it around Svidnik, it may be a Rusin word that I am not familiar with.
                        Ben

                        ________________________________

                        "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                        to one set of godparents?"

                        I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                        church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                        and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                        even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                        were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                        of sorting out family lines.

                        On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Larry,
                        > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                        > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                        > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                        > Michael

                      • Armata, Joseph R
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                          Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                            I think we are wandering into a question that Martin Votruba should answer-- as though I do not know of this ending, it could be antiquated or we could all be off. :-) I suggest that we take this to SK-World.
                            Ben

                            ________________________________
                            Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                            Joe

                            "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                            to one set of godparents?"

                            I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                            church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                            and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                            even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                            were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                            of sorting out family lines.

                            On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Larry,
                            > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                            > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                            > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                            > Michael

                          • Sue Martin
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                              Good question. Some of my ancestors came from Podmanin, though.

                              Sue

                              Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.

                              Joe

                              Jaczkanin [Yahtskah-neen], spelled in Slovak, Jackanin.

                              Phone directory: [http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/%5d http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Jackanin/slovensko/

                              Z Bohom,

                              Vilo

                              ________________________________

                              "Has anyone else seen where god-parents were used in other than one child
                              to one set of godparents?"

                              I have, but it turned out that the fellow was local or worked for the
                              church in some capacity and appeared as witness-godparent to many births
                              and marriages. Kind of a backup. But I had seen others as you describe or
                              even family members of the godparents. EG some of my family (as a couple)
                              were GP to another family over multiple births. I think that is a good way
                              of sorting out family lines.

                              On 5 June 2012 11:23, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Larry,
                              > In my ancestral village I have seen where one set of god-parents were used
                              > for every birth in a family that year. Has anyone else seen where
                              > god-parents were used in other than one child to one set of godparents?
                              > Michael

                            • Ben Sorensen
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                                The only -in ending that I am familiar with is a feminine possessive: Milkin syn. :-) (Milka's son)

                                We should take it to SK-W to find out.
                                Ben

                                ________________________________

                              • david1law@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                                  Dear Paul:

                                  To follow up on Joe's post, it probably refers to Jász-Nagy-Szolnok
                                  County, Hungary or Jaczow, Poland or another place name with Jász or Jacz its
                                  name. The following is a link to the Jász entry in wikipedia:

                                  _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1sz_
                                  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%c3%a1sz)

                                  If you do a search in ARCANUM (which can be accessed through Bill
                                  Tarkulich's website at iabsi.com), you will find 27 results for JACZK* (with the
                                  wildcard * asterisk), among the earliest references are "DE JACZK" and
                                  "JACZKONES" which are references to the JASZI, the Hungarian name for the
                                  Sarmatians, who are also referred to as JASZKONES and JASSONES, among others.
                                  Poland is also known for its connections to the Sarmatians.

                                  When I saw Vilo's phonetic pronunciation of the name -- "Yahtskah-neen" --
                                  it reminded me of another Slovak name -- YAHTSKY (a family with whom I am
                                  very good friends) -- and that surname tracks back to the JASZ. I hope
                                  this helps a little.

                                  Best regards,

                                  David

                                  From: William C. Wormuth <_senzus@..._ (mailto:senzus@...)
                                  <mailto:senzus%40ymail.com> >
                                  To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                                  From: Paul Sabol <_pgsabol@..._ (mailto:pgsabol@...)
                                  <mailto:pgsabol%40yahoo.com> >
                                  To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                                  From: Gil Kubancsek <_gek0105@..._ (mailto:gek0105@...)
                                  <mailto:gek0105%40yahoo.com> >
                                  To: "_SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 24, 2012
                                    Vazeny enko,

                                    A little late but I appreciate hearing from you.  It is hard to answer this wuestion when there is a dialect involved.  In my experience there are very few name derivations available but if you are interested DNA it. :o) :o) :o)

                                    Best regards!

                                    Z Bohom,

                                    Vilo

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:
                                      I have never thought about the ending but I have seen several surnames with the "KANIN" ending searching in and around Beloveza which is close to the Polish boarder today....

                                      Dennis

                                      > Dear Paul:
                                      >
                                      > To follow up on Joe's post, it probably refers to Jász-Nagy-Szolnok
                                      > County, Hungary or Jaczow, Poland or another place name with Jász or Jacz its
                                      > name. The following is a link to the Jász entry in wikipedia:
                                      >
                                      > _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1sz_
                                      > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%c3%83%c2%a1sz)
                                      >

                                      > If you do a search in ARCANUM (which can be accessed through Bill
                                      > Tarkulich's website at iabsi.com), you will find 27 results for JACZK* (with the
                                      > wildcard * asterisk), among the earliest references are "DE JACZK" and
                                      > "JACZKONES" which are references to the JASZI, the Hungarian name for the
                                      > Sarmatians, who are also referred to as JASZKONES and JASSONES, among others.
                                      > Poland is also known for its connections to the Sarmatians.
                                      >
                                      > When I saw Vilo's phonetic pronunciation of the name -- "Yahtskah-neen" --
                                      > it reminded me of another Slovak name -- YAHTSKY (a family with whom I am
                                      > very good friends) -- and that surname tracks back to the JASZ. I hope
                                      > this helps a little.
                                      >

                                      > Best regards,
                                      >
                                      > David
                                      >

                                      > In a message dated 7/24/2012 8:28:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      > armata+@... writes:
                                      >

                                      > Does Slovak use -anin as a suffix for inhabitants of places, like
                                      > Detvianin? Then it could refer to a place called something like Jacko.
                                      >
                                      > Joe

                                    • Ron
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                        One source I have advocated as a general Slavic information source for names is Paul Goldschmid's (misnamed) Dictionary of Russian Names. I think it should be called "Paul Goldschmidt's Dictionary of Slavic Names". Looking at
                                        http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html he says:
                                        "Masculine Patronymics If the father's given name ended in "-a" or "-ia," the basic patronymic ending is "-in" or "-yn," respectively (with the "a" or "ia" dropping out)."

                                        There is a lot more on that and other pages he posted. Take a look, and if it gives you some background, let us know so others will be encouraged to check it out as well.

                                        Searching under his H-J list http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/h-j.html
                                        produces "Iatsko (m) -- Iatsko Voronich, landowner. 1552. [Tup 395]
                                        Vars: Jaczko (Jaczko Horko, Liuboml'sk peasant). 1564. [Tup 113]
                                        Pats: Iatskovich (Ivashko Iatskovich Vladyka, southwestern royal scribe). 1487. [Tup 87] "

                                        With all of the Slovak, Hungarian, Rusyn and Russian soures as potentially applicable, and much written in German as well, we have a rather rich (if confusing) variety of sources!

                                        My tendency would be to look upon the above as interesting and worthy of considering, but certainly not necessarily taking as applicable in your case.

                                        Ron

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 25, 2012
                                          It is lucky I forgot to include one more source in the last posting. For a general and very informative tour of Slovak background topics, please go and spend some time on Dr. Votruba's website at U of Pittsburgh. He is a well respected contributor to Slovak World and has assembled a lot of good information for Slovak-Americans on this site:

                                          http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html