History Talks

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
      I can't help but organize things. Good references are a hard thing to find.
      Attached are the results of my ongoing project. I am compiling the articles
      from the "History Talks" section of the "Slovak Spectator", an English
      language weekly newspaper published in Slovakia.
      You may find these interesting in your genealogy research.

      I'm listing below the titles of the short, but interesting articles. Each
      is one or two paragraphs long, with one historical photograph. My focus has
      been on villages, towns and cities, with a few other topics (of interest to
      me) thrown in for good measure.
      You can find these articles by doing a search on the keywords in each title.
      Some titles are duplicates; this is a result of the early compilation of the
      past two years. There will be more from prior years.

      Enjoy,
      Bill

      Slovak Spectator, http://spectator.sme.sk

      The First World War 1
      Zborov 1
      The Andrássy Mausoleum 2
      Spreading around the good Roma name 3

      The monastery in Báč 1
      Modra's Jewish history 1
      Terchová at prayer 1
      Fire devastates Krásna Hôrka Castle 1
      First skiers in the High Tatras 1
      Revúca's military hero 1
      Ján Ossko's lakeside cabin 1
      Buková's famous lime kilns 1
      A sense of Svätý Jur's past 2
      The Ján Pálka cabin 2
      Krompachy as a lens to history 2
      A Christmas greeting card from 1912 2
      Peaks of the High Tatras 2
      Vyhne spa's faded glory 2
      Hruštín's timbered houses 2
      The old days of cattle breeding 2
      School dates back to 1626 3
      The peak and the eagle 3
      The wooden church of Zboj 3
      Kremnica in 1742 3
      Farming the fields of Zázrivá 3
      Built from glacial rock 3
      Grazing cattle in Nedelište 3
      The wagoners of Holíč 4
      Images immortalise Jewish past in Slovakia 4
      The tragic tale of Biela Voda 4
      Rafting on the Váh 4
      The Székelys of Sekule 4
      The Mantáks of Medzev 4
      Jedľové Kostoľany 4
      A mountain haven for bandits 5
      Ruthenians ink pact with US group 5
      The prince's village 5
      Károlyi Castle's ancient glory 5
      Slovakia's churches open their doors and crypts (video included) 5
      Harmónia's Villa Imre 5
      The wooden town of Trstená 5
      The Carlton Savoy - 1913 5
      Sandrik in Dolné Hámre 6
      Chtelnica and its 30,000-brick church 6
      H 6
      Neighbouring cultures draw even closer 6
      The first trams in Košice 6
      The monastery in Báč 6

      Farming the fields of Zázrivá 1
      Kremnica in 1742 3
      Modra's golden forests 5
      School dates back to 1626 8
      The peak and the eagle 10
      The wooden church of Zboj 11
      Built from glacial rock 12
      The wagoners of Holíč 15
      The tragic tale of Biela Voda 17
      Grazing cattle in Nedelište 19
      Rafting on the Váh 21
      The Székelys of Sekule 23
      The Mantáks of Medzev 24
      Jedľové Kostoľany 26
      A mountain haven for bandits 28
      Železná studnička's spa 30
      The prince's village 32
      Károlyi Castle's ancient glory 34
      Spišský Štiavnik mansion 36
      Duelling counts of Pezinok 38
      Nitra's street of many names 41
      Nový Smokovec's small lake 43
      Sweet product of the East 45
      The mills of Horné Orešany 47
      The mills of Horné Orešany 47
      Rich but still not free 49
      History hidden in names 50
      Záhorie's tallest church 53
      The bastion of Helena Zrínska 55
      Hay in boots, cash in coffers 57
      A Catholic island in Spiš 59
      The rebirth of Smolenice Castle in the Carpathians 61
      Banská Štiavnica's Belá Gate 62
      Devínska Nová Ves' Croats 64
      A spinner from Spiš 67
      The organ makers of Raje 69
      The Jews of Šaštín 71
      Pilgrimage to Rajecká Lesná 73
      A squire from Podhradie 74
      The charms of Abovce 76
      The Neanderthal of Gánovce 78
      Čachtice, castle of the 'blood countess' 79
      Oldomáš in Detva 81
      A royal welcome in Kremnica 83

      Bill
    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
        Bill, what amazing projects you tackle! All of these topics are interesting, and can give us a view into life in those times. And also into the incredible natural resources like the Tatras and the cultural resources like the castles.

        Many, many thanks for the work you have done, and continue to do, on subjects that bring us closer to our Slovak heritage.

        Elaine

        Sent from my iPhone

      • hwedhlor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
          Bill,

          Thank you very much for all your work in organizing the
          names of those articles!

          John Zimmerman
          Mesa, AZ