Re: [S-R] Would Like Some Help If Possible

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
      Sandra,

      There are some listings in the Phone Directory.  The Little "O" ovr the u in Janu is the Czech spelling.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
        Hello Sandra,

        I can tell you how I found how my ancestors 'migrated' from town to town
        until they settled.
        It's not easy work, though it paid dividends.
        That is, to radiate outwards away from Lony, ignoring borders and check
        every church for records of the name - but only before the date of the last
        confirmed entry in Kiss~Nagy Lony. So if your GGParents were born in 1900,
        you are looking for records prior to that time. If you find no record
        working backwards for about 25 years, then move on. I prefer to start with
        death records as often they have the place of birth listed for the
        deceased.
        The easiest way to do this is to follow the road and river network of the
        time and by plotting the name Janu using the Cisarik website. Cisarik is
        not infallible as it only shows data from 1715 (tax records of peasants)
        and 2005+ telephone directory entries, but it may give clues.
        There are also tax records of 1720 where the name can be searchable.

        There are absolutely no guarantees in your belief that because Janu is not
        a Hungarian name, that it is Slovak/Rusyn or Czech. Millions of Hungarians
        have non-Hungarian names, and name etymology has proven in a significant
        amount of cases that last names do not equate to ethnicity. I think what
        you are actually looking for is the origin of the name?
        Janu is a form of John in Czech. In Hungarian it is Janos (nickname as Jani
        as in Johnny), Latin = Joannes. You should ask yourself how was that name
        given to your ancestor, or more correctly, why did he call himself that?
        When you go through that process and deal with the possibilities, it could
        come down to the following:
        1. He was named after the apostle - ie for religious or church reasons,
        maybe after a famous identity or a place referred to as Janu for example.
        2. His name was John, and his family was known as John's, so you had names
        like Maria John, George John etc.
        On that note, name order convention between Latin and Hungarian switched in
        1849, So John Miller became Miller John - Doubtful but possible. Most
        recently I have seen many examples of this as late as 1946, where family
        names were turned around between Czech and Magyar forms *on the same page*
        in official documentation AND spelled in Czech and not in the original
        Magyar.
        3. His name got Slavicised from Joannes to Janu.
        4. It was Jeno (Magyar) and due to local dialect, he was called Janu
        5. He was gyanús, therefore transliterated into Janu. Gyanus means
        suspicious and there is a form of the word spelled gyanu which sounds
        remarkably similar to janu. This is called 'ornametal naming' like
        'blondie' or 'woody' etc.

        You may be left with the conclusion that although Janu sounds unique, it is
        in fact untraceable to a specific location because of naming conventions.
        In your case it may not matter since you should be looking for
        concentrations of the name Janu in different towns and villages and that
        will provide the original location.

        On 4 June 2012 12:51, Sandra Hansen <sjhoreo@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have been researching my Hungarian roots and have been led to believe
        > that those roots may have begun in eastern Slovakia. The surname is JANU
        > (without the accent on the 'u'). It apparently is not a Hungarian surname,
        > but a Slovakian one. My grandparents were born in Kislonya and Nagylonya
        > Hungary. The 2 towns consolidated in 1934 to become Lonya. The town is
        > very close to the very southeastern border of Slovakia. I have been able
        > to obtain information regarding my Hungarian roots only as far back as my
        > great-grandparents. I believe further research is needed to see if there
        > is a Slovakian connection and perhaps my earlier relatives migrated from
        > Slovakia to Hungary. Other than ancestry.com and LDS records, I am stumped
        > for resources to see if there is just such a connection. Any advice would
        > be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Sandra L Janu (McLean,
        > Virginia)

      • Sandra Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2012
          Thank you so much for this valuable information. I will take your advice
          and work slowly backwards. I guess what I was really looking for was web
          sites to browse as I am only familiar with familysearch.org and ancestry.com.
          If anyone could recommend other web sites, I would be very grateful. Thank
          you again, Sandra